Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Video and Computer Games (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Button controls vs. Motion controls (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=2760)

Charizard98 April 28, 2010 09:13:56 AM

Button controls vs. Motion controls

For me, button controls wins this hands down. I like the Wii motion ,but it kinda makes you look stupid just waggling to death. Also, button controls made video game history. The button controls will always and probably always will be the best controls to me. Anyways, debate please! :D

Ningamer April 28, 2010 09:49:46 AM

Like the Wii: A bit of both. Ever played WarioWare Smooth Moves? LOVE it.

LiteTheIronMan April 28, 2010 10:58:31 AM

The Wii Remote establishes a good balance of both motion control and button combos.

One of the perfect examples of this is a game few of you may have heard of: One Piece: Unlimited Adventure.

The battle system was basically button mashing according to onscreen commands. Combos could be strung together like A, A, AB, B, Wii Remote Shake, Control Stick-A, etc. There was no dependence on motion control, but you could use it and it would be easier to do than a complex button combo.

Let's look at the two other console's attempts to utilize motion control:

PlayStation Move: You're kidding me, right? It looks exactly like the Wii Remote, but clunkier and uglier. The Wii Remote - with or without MotionPlus- would be more responsive than this.

Project Natal: This is basically just a PSEye. It's not even ripping off the Wii Remote, but the PSEye didn't have any commonly used applications like the Wii Remote has (i.e. point-and-shoot, motion-detected sword swipes, shaking the Wii Remote).

PlayStation 3's PSMove probably won't sell to their current market, and Project Natal relies totally on motion of the player, which is exhausting.

All those who complain about the Wii "making you do work", most games don't have a direct dependence on motion control. Nearly all games that implement it still use the buttons (Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a perfect example: Motion control is OFF by default, and although I do have Smash attacks assigned to shaking the Wii Remote on a custom control method I use, I hardly ever remember I can execute the Smash attacks by shaking the controller.) and you're never completely reliant on motion control unless it's a demo game like Wii Sports/Resort that are purely designed to demonstrate basic controls.

Oh, and for the record, pointing to shoot in The Conduit is a lot more responsive and reflexive to me than aiming with a dual analog gamepad.

Charizard98 April 28, 2010 11:04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan (Post 44690)
Oh, and for the record, pointing to shoot in The Conduit is a lot more responsive and reflexive to me than aiming with a dual analog gamepad.

The pointing part is where the Wii has it's redeeming values like Strong Bad or The Conduit work with it ,but it's never as good with the good ol analog stick with any other catagory. Anyways, I'm going to stop and not go further.

Yoshi648 April 28, 2010 12:52:31 PM

I also like using combination of both.

Luxray13579 April 28, 2010 01:00:32 PM

I like a combination of both. At times though motion control isn't as 1:1 as it should be, but Nintendo is fixing that. Also other times, button controls are too hard and motion control is needed.

Ningamer April 28, 2010 01:16:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan (Post 44690)
Project Natal: This is basically just a PSEye.

That's where you're wrong. Project Natal has two cameras for depth perception. It can literally see in to a three-dimentional space. That may see like the Wii Remote, but read this: You can use ANY part of your body. No added anything. Of course, I still adore the button-mashing mayhem, but Natal is going to be revolutionary.

Alakazamaster April 28, 2010 03:51:59 PM

I am a button person. I have been opposed to the gimmicky idea of motion controls since very near the start, but they are O.K. if it's a game like Wii Sports or whatever.

Sub-zero April 28, 2010 06:53:51 PM

Buttons, hands down.

Fubab_107 April 29, 2010 12:30:10 AM

I'm more buttons, mainly because of my laziness. I can enjoy a bit of motion control, but when it comes to buttons, It play it any time I can.

Charizard98 April 29, 2010 06:12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubab_107 (Post 44851)
I'm more buttons, mainly because of my laziness. I can enjoy a bit of motion control, but when it comes to buttons, It play it any time I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub-zero107 (Post 44851)
Buttons, hands down.

Yep! :D

TheRagingTyranitar April 29, 2010 09:31:08 AM

Button Controls FTW!!!

GuildmasterWigglytuff April 29, 2010 01:48:46 PM

I prefer buttons.

Arazza April 29, 2010 01:50:29 PM

I prefer buttons. But sometimes I like a little both.

Yoshizard April 29, 2010 04:52:07 PM

Definitely buttons.

Armed Floatzel May 1, 2010 12:25:41 PM

Here's one for you...try virtual reality.

I like both of them. Button controls because they're easier to handle. Motion controls because I can control the movements (and that it's so much fun).

SK May 1, 2010 12:32:06 PM

Hmm, let us see.. I guess buttons are better in things like racing games and motion is more for leisure or party games.

IceCreamb4Dinner July 11, 2010 09:28:50 PM

well i play button controls more and like Fubab 107 I'm lazy so yea button controls

:luipoke:

Jaredvcxz July 12, 2010 04:22:29 AM

Button. But if I'm playing one of those flying sims and such, the motion controls would be awesome.

DashArmy July 18, 2010 05:43:53 PM

To me, it depends on the game. Wii Sports? Derp, motion controls. Smash Bros? Buttons. Mario Kart? I'd prefer my Classic Controller Pro kthnx. Strangely, I prefer motion controls when I have more space to swing. Not like you need to actually swing it (derrp flick your wrist olol)

Suddenly, I have a urge to play Kingdom Hearts with motionplus. That'd be the day. Zelda is pretty cool with motion control.

In the end, I prefer it to be a optional control scheme in most, if not all, games.

Turtwig July 22, 2010 05:19:12 PM

I'm more use to button's.

JC July 23, 2010 10:58:44 AM

Buttons, Thats how I grew up with.

SpaceMan++ July 25, 2010 08:14:50 PM

I played many motion control games on iPod Touch, and I hated them because I can't control accurately on some games, like in HeavyGunner

Charizard98 July 27, 2010 07:17:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshArmy (Post 77777)
Suddenly, I have a urge to play Kingdom Hearts with motionplus.

I hope not, due to the crap Square Enix and Disney have made on the Wii. *cough*High School Musical*cough* *hack* :/
But, seriously, it's better off on either the PS2 or PS3.

BTW PS2 is still alive (Portal pun, lol)

On topic: I heard they are releasing Sonic Riders: Kinect for Xbox 360. I wonder if it does better or worse with motion. :/ I'm keeping my vote on buttons still.