Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Debate (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Old Graphics vs. New Graphics! (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=4092)

Alakazamaster July 8, 2010 09:20:17 AM

Old Graphics vs. New Graphics!

After hearing a bitter debate between Blues and LEAF in the Chatbox, I was elected to create a debate between the subject of old and new graphics! Which do you prefer, when playing video games? I myself do not have much of an opinion on the matter, since in my opinion they barely make a difference. There are amazing games with "bad" graphics, and terrific ones with more advanced graphics.

Opinions?

Pikaluv1 July 8, 2010 09:22:23 AM

Derp, why do everyone complains about it, I won't say new or old, I have no opinion.

Eagles July 8, 2010 09:26:58 AM

I prefer old graphics. They always give me a better feeling in playing the game, for some reason.

Fubab_107 July 8, 2010 09:31:04 AM

I have no opinion because I have shared my own experience with bad graphics, good game and a good graphics, Bad game. But more people have a general vision that better graphics make a game better. I guess thats what I tend to see more.

BlackRayquaza July 8, 2010 09:44:33 AM

It matters on how old you're talking about.

If you're talking early 2000s as old, then old is good. But if you're talking before 1995, then there is a debate, there are some good and some bad.

But new graphics are much neater, but they tend to be hollow, and not filled with some type of gray or a different color so you don't get a glitch.

So, early 2000s as old, yes, I agree that they're good. And if they're in future games like Epic Yarn or Metriod Other M, they're pretty good, so I vote for that. So I'm not gonna poll, since there's no both, but I say both.

Jaredvcxz July 8, 2010 09:51:28 AM

New graphics. Hands down. They're much more realistic (However way "realistic" applies to Pokemon) and otherwise easier to look at.

TheRagingTyranitar July 8, 2010 10:05:43 AM

I am voting for new graphics because I never liked old graphics :/

Ningamer July 8, 2010 02:10:26 PM

Graphics...?

I don't care for graphics. As long as the gameplay's good, I'm fine.

Look at screenshot:
http://www.pocketnow.com/html/portal...ixelation2.gif
That's a fountain, when you're really close to it.
Now, those graphic's can't really compare to today's standards. However, this is one of the best games I've ever played in my life (The only one better that I can think of is it's sequel). As long as the graphics are able to tell you what it is you're looking at, (http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20Mario/...ntSmallAni.gifThat's obviously a pipe, and that's obviously a plant trying to nom) it's fine.

NismoZ July 8, 2010 02:40:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ningamer (Post 73305)
(http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20Mario/...ntSmallAni.gifThat's obviously a pipe, and that's obviously a plant trying to nom)

You said it best. I don't care for graphics as long as I know what it is. If you just give me a few different pixels, *coughAtaricough*, I will mind, but if you give me a http://www.mariomayhem.com/downloads...riowalklft.gif, I know it's a guy trying to walk, and I'm fine with it.

Charizard98 July 8, 2010 02:56:25 PM

New, graphics have to improve, it's the future, you know. It just makes sense. But, a game with old or bad graphics doesn't make it bad.

Jaredvcxz July 8, 2010 03:16:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charizard98 (Post 73318)
But, a game with old or bad graphics doesn't make it bad.

I agree. In fact, games with bad graphics run better from a PC Gamer's perspective.

Sub-zero July 8, 2010 04:37:31 PM

This- http://i28.tinypic.com/2wgtbmd.jpg

Over this- http://i.ytimg.com/vi/BPyIK_Vnbl4/0.jpg

Any day.

Jaredvcxz July 8, 2010 05:10:12 PM

This:
http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/DOOM-3_3.jpg

Over this:
http://revistagames.files.wordpress..../12/doom11.jpg

LiteTheIronMan July 8, 2010 06:19:20 PM

Uhm.

Graphics of any kind are fine- it's the artist's medium of gaming to use graphics as the visual appeal for the player to view. Let's take a look at Mario, for instance.

Mario's appearance began because they couldn't program a proper looking face/clothing style into a typical arcade board. Later on, as the hardware improved, his features did. Obviously graphics are going to look better (and would be more appropriate) on newer hardware, right?

I kinda did this wrong, but the point is that as long as the graphics are appropriate for the console you play them on, and they match a certain artistic appeal that goes by the designer's direction, then they're great.

Sableyed July 10, 2010 04:36:01 PM

As amazing is 8-bit is, when I'm playing a game, I'd rather have better graphics. Unless it's on the internet, I suppose.

Jaredvcxz July 11, 2010 04:00:52 AM

Yeah flash games are enjoyable at 8- or 16-bit.

And also, if I know the game is a classic like old pokemon or Final Fantasy, I will borderline enjoy the graphics.

Depends on the game really. Like if it's a racing game, I want the graphics to be the best so I can easily time my reactions and such.

But if it's a side scrolling shooter like metal slug, the low quality isn't a problem because there's not much skill involved.

mariothecellist July 12, 2010 08:10:55 AM

I could care less as long as they do not hinder the gameplay of the game.

alternateshadow300 July 12, 2010 09:08:41 PM

I voted "No opinion" because I don't base games off of graphics...

smartguy01 July 22, 2010 12:08:33 PM

I have no opinion because graphics in a game is not as important as the gameplay itself (it still matters, but not as much).

Jaredvcxz July 22, 2010 01:42:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartguy01 (Post 79196)
I have no opinion because graphics in a game is not as important as the gameplay itself (it still matters, but not as much).

True, but as we've pointed out before, sometimes graphics affect gameplay. But that's actually pretty rare, though.

Winter July 24, 2010 08:55:53 AM

I grew up on the old school stuff so I am partial to that but I also like a lot of new school graphics as well. The more realistic something can look, the better.

Turtwig July 28, 2010 04:43:05 PM

Ok, some very good games like Zelda Ocarina have good graphic's even if it's old, not just because it's not clear but that's how it was before, Now I prefer the new graphic's since it's clear to see things.

Searinox September 12, 2010 05:26:29 AM

Gameplay and music beats are what matters to me. The quality of the media is less relevant. I enjoy both old and new titles. LOL Doom classics! I'm playing those now. XD That screenshot down there is from the level The Chasm. >>; *nerd*

LucarioMario October 16, 2010 05:00:28 PM

As long as you can at least tell what the thing is its fine.

pokemoneinstein October 16, 2010 06:32:38 PM

If it's a game that obviously needs sprites and nothing more, I prefer old.

However, if the game either NEEDS to replicate life-like motion, or just tries to for the hell of it, the graphics need to be newer and really good.

JC October 17, 2010 01:14:40 PM

I like game play and over graphics, anytime, but so many choices to choose from.

Yoshizard October 17, 2010 03:11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokemoneinstein (Post 110620)
If it's a game that obviously needs sprites and nothing more, I prefer old.

However, if the game either NEEDS to replicate life-like motion, or just tries to for the hell of it, the graphics need to be newer and really good.

Me too, but I tend to find myself leaning towards older looking styles. You know, brighter colors, more artistic style. Less realistic.

[TRDRS]PokeTrader October 17, 2010 03:58:02 PM

New for me!

Quadcentruo October 18, 2010 06:35:43 PM

Just like TheGamingGoose said (if you don't know who he is, Youtube him), just because I liked the 8-bit graphics doesn't mean I want to go back to them for current games. (Something like that from his Megaman 9 rantview)

Dilster3000 October 19, 2010 05:32:22 AM

Well I really enjoy newer graphics. It was draw-dropping playing through Uncharted 2 or other games in that direction. I always can't wait what developers do next. How they tend to improve their technology.

On the other hand, retro graphics may seem ugly. But the gameplay lets you forget it and enjoy the game. Look at Pokemon Red/Blue or NES games, ugly graphics but the gameplay has a golden feeling. Look at what Capcom has done with the Megaman series, they are going back to the retro approach. Megaman 9 & 10 may not have the best up-to-date graphics, but the gameplay pushes that aside. Also memories come flying back. Its also great to see that Nintendo is reviving old games on the Wii, and older portable games for the 3DS.

Gameplay matters the most for me, I could look back to my past or just witness the beautiful graphics for today. But good graphics have influenced many gamers, meaning they judge games by their graphics. I find that stupid but I believe companies just should go for the better graphics. We can't hang back to the past, because our current consoles don't have the limitations that older consoles had. So they should go all out.

My overall point is, that graphics doesn't really matter. Sure amazing graphics and all get plus points. But the gameplay element is the most important.
(Not to forget music too :lol:)

Quadcentruo October 19, 2010 05:10:26 PM

Now for my opinion:
Although I like the old graphics - more specifically, 8-bit graphics - the newer graphics always manage to blow my minds with what they come up with.

8-bit graphics give me nostalgia, newer graphics blow my mind. I don't have a preference.

Will October 21, 2010 01:46:12 AM

Pokemon can be considered "bad graphics" compared to other Nintendo games like Mario Kart. It's still epic.

Jaredvcxz October 21, 2010 10:54:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will (Post 111728)
Pokemon can be considered "bad graphics" compared to other Nintendo games like Mario Kart. It's still epic.

I wouldn't really say that. While they could do more, the sprites for in-battle are very well done, and the attack effects are amazing, given the hardware. I'd say that the term to use outside battle would be "Classic".

Quadcentruo October 21, 2010 10:58:00 AM

If you are going to compare DS graphics to console graphics, you deserve to be slapped (just saying).

For being on a hand-held system, Pokémon always seems to be on top of everything. The animations, sprites, and just for extra kicks - music, it seems more advanced than a DS game.
***For example, look at the cut scene on Spear Pillar on Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.***

CrazyClaydol October 27, 2010 02:47:47 AM

I don't care for graphics at all. Mainly Because all the 360 only fan boys shove "good" graphics down my throat when I talk about any Wii game. I have both the original Super Mario and the new one for the Wii. I play the original more though because it gives me nostalgia over when I was four and played it in my room.

MultiWishMaker October 27, 2010 04:09:57 AM

I can honestly say I really have no opinion on the subject. If a games that good to the point where you don't care about the graphics that makes the experience that much better.

Mr. Sub December 3, 2010 12:23:56 PM

Personally, I think old graphics are better because they require more imagination. Everything is unrealistic, and it's not clear what some small details even are sometimes. It looks different and kind of weird. However with new graphics everything is given to you on a plate, and there's no imagination required and with rubbish, pixelated old graphics you have to use your head more and I think that makes it more creative.

Also I just find old graphics really cool :P So yeah, old for me :)

JJ December 5, 2010 03:45:43 PM

I love then both so much, I cant decide!! >.<

LucarioMario December 18, 2010 03:00:41 PM

YET ANOTHER EDIT: I really don't mind, having played the 360 three times at my friend's house after school (And no, not just Black Ops. Though his game library is kinda small because he just got the console last Christmas, so the only other game I've ever played was Backyard Football.). Comparing Microsoft graphics to Nintendo's, the Xbox 360 has more "realistic" graphics, while the Wii's tend to be more colorful (Example: Compare Sonic Colors or NSMBW to a CoD game.). I now don't have a preference.

SK December 18, 2010 04:24:20 PM

I'm saying new because I pretty much play car games and then Nintendo stuff. In my opinion each one looks better with the new graphics but playing with old graphics every once in a while doesn't hurt a bit. Except Pokemon generation 1 sprites are terrible. :P

RusticShadows January 3, 2011 11:20:14 AM

I view graphics as a secondary additive, and will love a game with older graphics just the same if it has great, solid gameplay. Same with new graphics. I fit has terrible gameplay, I won't like it at all.

However, based on graphics alone, I prefer newer graphics. I enjoy the awe-inspiring and streamlined feel it gives video games. It makes it easier for me to relate to a game, and feel like I'm actually in the world exploring, instead of a spectator controlling another character. Idk, I guess it's just my personal preference.

TM38 January 20, 2011 04:32:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sub (Post 122395)
Personally, I think old graphics are better because they require more imagination. Everything is unrealistic, and it's not clear what some small details even are sometimes. It looks different and kind of weird. However with new graphics everything is given to you on a plate, and there's no imagination required and with rubbish, pixelated old graphics you have to use your head more and I think that makes it more creative.

Dude, uhh...yeah. Because that....thing....that was Venusaur's back sprite was really allowing for an open mind. Plus, they varied too much. One picture, something's small and blue, and in the other games, it's huge and purple.

So, I like the new ones, although there are some in which I liked the older ones, like I prefer Latias' DPPt sprite to it's new one.

emperorempoleon2 January 22, 2011 05:10:50 PM

There's definitely something aesthetically pleasing about old graphics, but I personally prefer the newer polygon-based CGI.

Also, with this post, the most recent posts in the Fun board are all claimed by me :P

Jaredvcxz February 5, 2011 02:14:33 PM

Well, I've been playing a few old games lately (Namely Thief II and the original Fallout) and despite being low-quality I can make out generally everything in them.

Plus we can't forget Minecraft, with its retro graphics that still push even the best systems.

I can't believe nobody has brought that up yet.

Buizel456 February 5, 2011 09:54:05 PM

No opinion. There are lots of games that have bad graphics but the game play is great, and vice versa. The graphics just aren't really important for me... Okay, well maybe a little. I just want to be able to make out the image.

Relix August 19, 2011 10:17:25 AM

Old graphics all the way SPRITES FTW!
Though good graphics are interesting to look at...

Ningamer August 19, 2011 10:25:27 AM

It's not the graphics, it's the aesthetics. If I game has an aesthetics style that fits the sound and feel of the game, that's fine - Hence why Minecraft, while having low-resolution textures and low-poly models, still looks how it feels it should - blocky. Hence why Minecraft just doesn't feel right when using "realistic" texture packs. You don't say a cartoon looks bad because the grass is just a big green shape - It's like that to fit with the aesthetics of the show.