Victory Road

Victory Road (http://www.victoryroad.net/index.php)
-   Pokémon General (http://www.victoryroad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Fake in game rumors (http://www.victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=1518)

WhiteTiger December 31, 2009 11:23:04 AM

Fake in game rumors

I am sure you all know some of these, back in red and blue.

So what rumors do you remember?

I'll start with one I remember being told at school.

If you level a Nidoking to lv 100 and give it to the team rocket grunt who stays Ceruleon city, he will give you a key to the trunk my the SS Anna. Under the trunk you will find Mew.

Glad I never tried it though :P.

GreenLiquid December 31, 2009 11:51:25 AM

Back when Pokémon was about the only thing being played at recess, everyone used to scramble to try to find ways to get Mew and Pikablu. Basically, the smarter of us would come up with ludicrous 'methods' to unlock them while the less keen wasted their time actually trying them. For instance, one of the faux methods that caught on involved fighting trainers and picking up items in the Rocket Base in a very specific order. If you had already cleared it, the rumor held that you had to restart your game. Hopefully nobody was fooled by that part of it :/.

Ningamer December 31, 2009 12:20:55 PM

The 'Mew under the Truck' one was very popular at my school - I traded with my friend to get a Sandslash that knew Cut before the SS Anne. 5 days later, it didn't work. D:

I'd never heard of Pikablu until FR/LG came out though...

Yoshi648 December 31, 2009 12:28:02 PM

For those of you who forgot Cat has an actual website: http://floatzel.net/pokemon/pokemon_rumors.htm

WhiteTiger December 31, 2009 01:45:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshi648 (Post 23127)
For those of you who forgot Cat has an actual website: http://floatzel.net/pokemon/pokemon_rumors.htm

Oh ty, I never saw the rumors page :). Some interesting ones on there that I never heard before :P.

Sunny December 31, 2009 06:18:47 PM

I think in 4th grade this kids spread a rumor that after filling out the pokedex completely in 1 town there would be a robbery in one of the pokemarts. The guy robbing it would have level 100 pokemon and if you beat him you get 99 rare candies. I didn't believe it because it sounds way to good to be true.

TurtwigX January 1, 2010 07:47:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny (Post 23158)
I think in 4th grade this kids spread a rumor that after filling out the pokedex completely in 1 town there would be a robbery in one of the pokemarts. The guy robbing it would have level 100 pokemon and if you beat him you get 99 rare candies. I didn't believe it because it sounds way to good to be true.

Really? I heard an altered version of that. Some lying nerd said that if you collect all 493 Pokemon and train the all to level 100(Yes, even first and second stage evolutions) and then go to Spear Pillar. Arceus will come down and bless you, maxing out all your items.
I wouldn't believe it cause he's hard to believe in most cases.

Cat333Pokémon January 1, 2010 08:48:59 AM

I'm honestly shocked that people are still forming new rumors in the same fashion as Red & Blue. I remember hearing about a few rumors before playing any of the games, so it's certainly interesting to hear new ones.

(And this topic will also give me free material to add to the page Yoshi linked to above. :D)

LiteTheIronMan January 1, 2010 12:09:46 PM

If you beat the Elite 4 a certain amount of times in RBY, supposedly you can go back to Cerulean Cave and fight Mew. Someone told me that when I was in elementary school.

BlueDragonEXE January 5, 2010 09:05:24 PM

A failed attempt: Back in grade school I was told you could get the other two starters without trading in Red and Blue. Here's how it "worked": the player uses a Pokémon with the Fly ability to reach the game's Cinnabar Island location, and then a Pokémon with the Surf ability to travel alongside the island until a Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle appeared. Sounds familiar? Since I was dared to get a Missingno. I knew this was a fraud right away and told everyone I knew and they passed it along. =P (Back then not too many people had heard of Missingno. yet.)

A "successful" attempt: Another grade school rumor. Apparently, you could get a level 100 Pikablu as a starter by beating the elite four 4 times and then restarting the game. Many people I knew fell for it before the truth spread. The person who spread the rumor apparently had his Game Boy stolen and returned with his old saved data gone and his character name replaced as... well, it was a rather foul word.

Cat333Pokémon January 7, 2010 06:06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDragonEXE (Post 24267)
The person who spread the rumor apparently had his Game Boy stolen and returned with his old saved data gone and his character name replaced as... well, it was a rather foul word.

Wow, I guess that's what you get for ruining a few others' games!

AnkokuFlare January 13, 2010 03:45:58 PM

I remember a rumor going about at school if you talked(pestered) to your trainers mother so many times she battled you.
It was obviously fake, but a few people i know actually fell for it.

Cat333Pokémon January 15, 2010 10:54:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnkokuFlare (Post 25257)
I remember a rumor going about at school if you talked(pestered) to your trainers mother so many times she battled you.
It was obviously fake, but a few people i know actually fell for it.

Is this close enough?

Magmaster12 January 16, 2010 03:57:33 AM

I heard that if you beat the elite four 353 times the SS Anne will return.

Sphinx January 16, 2010 06:11:37 AM

I remember hearing (before Platinum came out) that if you beat the Elite four 8 times, you became a Gym Leader. You became the eight Leader and if you beat so many people you could join the Elite 4.

isbragg January 17, 2010 07:41:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon (Post 25493)
Is this close enough?

This may seem a little off-topic, but that video was uploaded a year ago, and in the description you state, "There are more of these glitch videos coming!" You have not uploaded another one since.

Quadcentruo January 18, 2010 08:00:38 AM

One rumor i know of is if you put a magikarp in the day-care for three days, it will go missing and the day-care lady will give you a mew instead

EDIT: another one is if you trade MissingNo to silver it will turn into a kangaskhan that knows sky attack (same thing with Pokemon Stadium. The one with Stadium is true however)

Ayunnuya April 13, 2010 07:04:00 PM

Bill's Garden, It's all a lie!

:(

LiteTheIronMan April 13, 2010 08:38:53 PM

Someone told me a false rumor recently, actually, regarding the Celebi event. He said it was activated by a Rotom distributed to HGSS via Mystery Gift, which would in turn unlock a Celebi.

Quadcentruo April 14, 2010 03:31:53 PM

Something else my friend told me was...
In DP versions, if you beat the elite 4 ten times and then beat 100 Pokemon in Iron Island in one sitting (or not turning off the game), Celebi will appear as the 101st Pokemon in Iron Island.

Yoshizard April 14, 2010 05:03:56 PM

Well there's the classic and well believed tap A when catching a Pokemon to boost catch rate.

Quadcentruo April 15, 2010 10:58:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshizard (Post 41268)
Well there's the classic and well believed tap A when catching a Pokemon to boost catch rate.

Or down + B
Or B+A+Y
Or some other combination of the buttons

RK-9 April 15, 2010 12:56:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcentruo (Post 25859)
One rumor i know of is if you put a magikarp in the day-care for three days, it will go missing and the day-care lady will give you a mew instead.

I know an altered one, that's in Cat's rumor page and quite like that. If you leave a magikarp in the daycare and level it up until level 49, use a rare candy and it'll evolve into mew. NOT.

FreezeWarp April 15, 2010 01:42:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcentruo (Post 41358)
Or down + B
Or B+A+Y
Or some other combination of the buttons

I think there is such a combo in Colosseum.

Quadcentruo April 15, 2010 03:28:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreezeWarp (Post 41415)
I think there is such a combo in Colosseum.

Well thats colosseum!
I'm talking about main series games! (Blue, Red, Gold, etc.)

Blue Umbreon April 17, 2010 03:00:03 PM

I remember the rumor 'bout getting a level one hundred starter from RBY, and releasing it, going to bill and he will say he found your pokemon and then he gives you your pokemon and a lvl 0 mew
I tried it, but got lazy and never finished, lucky me, I was only in elementary school

pokewalker1205 April 17, 2010 03:19:35 PM

I remember the one if you buy all "potoin" from a store (that means 99) you get a new legendary! *.*
Also the one where you get a $MILLION for being the first to train a PERSIAN to level 100! (I started that one!)

Flareon April 17, 2010 07:52:39 PM

I fell for the Mew under the truck next to the SS Anne. I did it, and I got to the truck in question. In my Blue game, the whole thing is beat, all 150 captured, but the SS Anne was never gone through. The truck is there, and when I saw it, I skipped a heartbeat, but.. it just sat there. Never did anything. I always did wonder what its purpose was...

Oh, and Pikablu. PIKABLUUUUUUU. I loved that guy. freakin' marril.

GuildmasterWigglytuff April 18, 2010 05:58:29 PM

Quote:

Also the one where you get a $MILLION for being the first to train a PERSIAN to level 100! (I started that one!)
To be honest, I love seeing people get fooled but, I dont think it is a good idea to start a rumor.

Ayunnuya April 18, 2010 06:28:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuildmasterWigglytuff (Post 42364)
To be honest, I love seeing people get fooled but, I dont think it is a good idea to start a rumor.

Agreed, but I still think its kinda funny :3

masterzhangcaosun April 19, 2010 12:22:05 AM

When G/S came out I heard that if you speak to Silver 100 times before going to Mr.Pokemon, you'd be able to access a special shop that had rare items (Rare Candies, Master Balls). So I reseted a friends game to do it. Found out is was false and as payback for my time I saved it.

It started a chain of people resetting and I almost got bashed for it by the guy that started spreading it at our school. However he did give me a cloned mew that he got as an apology and I gave one to my friend.

Dorei_Uchiha36 April 19, 2010 12:31:06 PM

Someone once told me that pokemon green is so glitched and messed up. When you talk to your mom and walk outside in the grass, you'll find high level or glitch pokemon. That sounds like lies to me. :(

Ayunnuya April 19, 2010 02:51:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorei_Uchiha36 (Post 42500)
Someone once told me that on pokemon green is so glitch and mess up. When you talk to your mom and walk outside in the grass, you'll find high level or glitch pokemon. That sounds like lies to me. :(

Well, there's a glitch where you can access the Elite Four before your first badge in Green.

Quadcentruo April 19, 2010 03:22:57 PM

Well, this isn't in-game, but it is kinda dumb.
Some people say there is a purple version. *Face palms self in disappointment*

Ayunnuya April 19, 2010 04:42:51 PM

Some people think that some moves are stronger because of some random action. For example:
Did you know that in the Battle Palace (yes I do mean Emerald BF) if your pokemon doesn't use a move, it's next attack is twice as strong?
*facepalm*

Quadcentruo April 20, 2010 05:38:55 PM

Supposedly, there are glitch Pokemon in the grass next to route one.

I have tried this before (in my "Blue version stuff"), and actually, if you enter the grass from a certain spot, it will act as a normal patch of grass.

Buizel456 April 22, 2010 06:33:19 PM

I heard this one (forgot where) when you would go to that old couples house in Sunnyshore City, and talk the old couple (Both of them,repeatedly) in their house,then leave and repeat, until Cyrus comes, he then asks you to be a part of Team Galactic, which allows more parts of Pokemon DPP to be played, if you accept. But accepting would mean no access to somethings in the game. (Like Gym Leader Rematches, and elite four rematches)

Also, the one where if you beat the Elite Four, seven times in a row, you would unlock a new town

Dorei_Uchiha36 April 23, 2010 11:12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayunnuya (Post 42543)
Well, there's a glitch where you can accessthe Elite Four before your first badge in Green.

I think I saw that on youtube. You got to walk a certain number of steps then enter a building and it will take you to the elite four (or other areas). I'm not sure.

GuildmasterWigglytuff April 29, 2010 01:42:28 PM

One time, I was told that if you talked to the RAGECANDYBAR man, 5000 times, you would get an infinite amount of rare candies.

Ayunnuya April 30, 2010 02:44:47 PM

It's probably been said, but the truck=cake, which=lie!

Dav April 30, 2010 05:48:05 PM

There was a fairly popular one, before Gold and Silver came out but after Misty got Togepi in the anime, that using the Itemfinder 100 times at Mt. Moon would get you a Togepi. It was popular enough that my brother and I both heard of it independently, and out of boredom he actually tried it once.

Also: talking to Prof. Oak 100 times will make him mad and start throwing random Pokeballs at you, which you can pick up to keep the Pokemon inside.

Ah, to be 8 years old and gullible. I remember some weird kid telling me a whole elaborate story of some secret thing he did in Red and Blue. In retrospect it was pretty funny... he went on and on, obviously making it up as he went, yet I believed every word of it.

Are people seriously still coming up with these? I'm surprised, in the age when everyone has an internet to instantly check bogus claims.

Quadcentruo May 1, 2010 06:23:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav (Post 45257)
Are people seriously still coming up with these? I'm surprised, in the age when everyone has an internet to instantly check bogus claims.

As long as Pokemon and bored Pokemon fans exist, there will always be Fake Rumors.

Darkpie June 9, 2010 01:10:30 AM

This one is rather recent. In R/S/E, if you beat the E4 100 times, then go to the Space Station, and talk to a certain guy, He will say space travel is possible and you can go to space to encounter Deoxys. I first thought this might be true, because Deoxys is from space, and is the rival of Rayquaza, the cover pokemon for Emerald.

JC July 31, 2010 04:30:20 PM

I actually heard that if you got surf before you had the S.S. Anne, and you got 150 Pokémon, an island is supposed to appear south west of the ship, and you could attempt to catch a Mew.

Idno58 July 31, 2010 05:35:07 PM

I remember one of my friends told me in red that if you Went to Cinnibar and surfed near the Northeast dock you would eventually find a sandslash. If you ran the next pokemon you would find would be a level 0 Missingno. If you killed him the next pokemon would be a level 20 missingno. Beat him and find a level 80 missingno. Beat him to find a level 100 missingno, and then a level 207 missingno. If you ran from the 207 missingno, the item in your first item slot would be maxed out. If you caught any of the missingno's however, the file would be corrupted and your game would short out.

Quadcentruo August 11, 2010 05:23:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idno58 (Post 82524)
I remember one of my friends told me in red that if you Went to Cinnibar and surfed near the Northeast dock you would eventually find a sandslash. If you ran the next pokemon you would find would be a level 0 Missingno. If you killed him the next pokemon would be a level 20 missingno. Beat him and find a level 80 missingno. Beat him to find a level 100 missingno, and then a level 207 missingno. If you ran from the 207 missingno, the item in your first item slot would be maxed out. If you caught any of the missingno's however, the file would be corrupted and your game would short out.

Yes and no.

You can find odd Pokemon surfing on the dock East of Cinnabar (such as Tangela). You can also find MissingNo with the glitch will max out the 6th item in your bag. Also, catching MissingNo will NOT corrupt your game.

In fact, TWO of my friends have caught MissingNo. One traded it to silver (which turned into a Kangaskhan with sky attack) and the other transfered it to Pokemon Stadium (which turned into a Rhyhorn with two water guns and a sky attack).

By the way, MissingNo is usually over level 100 when you find it, but is very easy to beat.

02 August 21, 2010 10:24:00 PM

I used to believe that if you nicknamed a pokemon with another pokemon name, it will evolve into that pokemon. I trained a Charmeleon named Mew in Yellow to level 36, and was disapointed when it did not become a Mew. :( I'm pretty sure I tried the same thing with a Phanpy named Latias in another game. <.<

Her Charmander beauty September 19, 2010 09:09:30 PM

Some Red/Blue Rumors I heard, all of which were completely fake:
1. If you left your game on for 24 hours straight with a Raichu 1st in your party, it would evolve into Pikablu.

2. To get to the "Mew Truck," you have to complete the Pokedex, and when you return to the SS Anne, you teach a Cubone Strength to move the truck. Under the truck was a PokeBall containing Mew.

3. If you complete the Pokedex, you go to Bill's house. Before you go into his house, switch a Kangaskhan to 1st in your party, and Bill will teach it Jump. You then go outside, "Jump" over Bill's house, where a PokeBall containing Mew is found.

4. If you bug your mother enough, eventually she gives you a Togepi.

It's amazing the stuff you believe when you're little (see also: Easter Bunny)

NismoZ September 20, 2010 12:39:42 PM

I don't remember believing any (:P), but at the moment my sister believes this one. I tried to convince her that "it has rumor written all over it", and after I actually read it, it seemed even more fake. :headbang:

MultiWishMaker September 20, 2010 03:29:42 PM

I remember someone telling me that if you send a Missingno to G/S you had a 1/1000 chance of the Missingno being Celebi.

Leaftail September 20, 2010 05:05:01 PM

If you turn off your game in red/blue (or was it FR/LG...) in Seafoam Islands and come back 24 hours later, it'll turn into the Cerulean Cave. It doesn't work. I tried.

And one from Ruby/Sapphire: If you go to route 121, there's a 1/1000000 chance of finding a wild Celebi.

SergeiDragunov September 20, 2010 05:12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcentruo (Post 85614)
Yes and no.

You can find odd Pokemon surfing on the dock East of Cinnabar (such as Tangela). You can also find MissingNo with the glitch will max out the 6th item in your bag. Also, catching MissingNo will NOT corrupt your game.

In fact, TWO of my friends have caught MissingNo. One traded it to silver (which turned into a Kangaskhan with sky attack) and the other transfered it to Pokemon Stadium (which turned into a Rhyhorn with two water guns and a sky attack).

By the way, MissingNo is usually over level 100 when you find it, but is very easy to beat.

The Pokemon that appear on the side of Cinnabar depend on your name if I remember right. So depending on your name you could possibly find Sandslash there.

Her Charmander beauty September 22, 2010 03:44:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeiDragunov (Post 102120)
The Pokemon that appear on the side of Cinnabar depend on your name if I remember right. So depending on your name you could possibly find Sandslash there.

Remember how Cinnabar's coast had the Pokemon from the last area you visited? That was how I got the rare Safari Zone Pokes (Scyther, Chansey, Kangaskhan) that way.

AnathemA September 28, 2010 06:21:13 AM

After the release of the Gameboy SP, i heard a rumor that you could duplicate items in Crystal and level all your party pokemon to 100 when you connected the AC adaptor and did a few steps.

This next one has nothing to do with the games, but anyway..

Hands down, the most outrageous rumor i heard, was that.. Misty got killed by a Snorlax, hence her replacement: May.

I stopped watching the anime shortly after the Johto seasons came out. I still played the games though, i was about 7 or 8 that time. When i turned 10 or 11, i saw an episode of the Hoenn saga and wondered where Misty went, i asked one of my friends and he said that Misty got killed by a Snorlax. Being young and stupid, i believed him.

I hadn't the brains to google the topic or look at it on wikipedia, so until i saw the episode where Misty came back, i assumed she died..

(You can imagine how confused i was when i saw her come back in that episode..)

Quadcentruo October 8, 2010 06:56:17 PM

I heard a small rumor that if you press start while naming yourself before giving yourself a name of any sort, Oak will guess your name.

This isn't true, I already tested this, all that happens is the game loops you until you give it a name.

Her Charmander beauty October 8, 2010 07:10:34 PM

Not sure if this is considered a rumor, but I'll give it a shot. Can you soft reset to get a shiny starter? Has anyone here ever made this happen?

MultiWishMaker October 8, 2010 07:23:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her Charmander beauty (Post 108418)
Not sure if this is considered a rumor, but I'll give it a shot. Can you soft reset to get a shiny starter? Has anyone here ever made this happen?

yes that is true i've done it twice to get a shiny chikorita and a shiny chimchar:-P

Her Charmander beauty October 8, 2010 08:03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MultiWishMaker (Post 108426)
yes that is true i've done it twice to get a shiny chikorita and a shiny chimchar:-P

So awesome! I may do it for B/W, the fire starter's shiny is amazing.

MultiWishMaker October 8, 2010 08:08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her Charmander beauty (Post 108439)
So awesome! I may do it for B/W, the fire starter's shiny is amazing.

Yeah butI wonder why it turns into a super blue thing at its final evo!

Her Charmander beauty October 8, 2010 08:10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MultiWishMaker (Post 108441)
Yeah butI wonder why it turns into a super blue thing at its final evo!

Yeah, but shinies are just too cool.

In other rumor news, did anyone hear the one where if you held down B and moved into Gary you "pushed" him away from the Eevee in Pokemon Yellow? I tried, it didn't work (big surprise).

MultiWishMaker October 8, 2010 08:13:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her Charmander beauty (Post 108443)
Yeah, but shinies are just too cool.

In other rumor news, did anyone hear the one where if you held down B and moved into Gary you "pushed" him away from the Eevee in Pokemon Yellow? I tried, it didn't work (big surprise).

I remeber trying that it's one rumor I actually fell for.............20 times:lol:

Her Charmander beauty October 9, 2010 11:00:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MultiWishMaker (Post 108445)
I remeber trying that it's one rumor I actually fell for.............20 times:lol:

I can't even tell you how many times I restarted my game to try and get that Eevee. It's probably from my deep-seated hate for Pikachu, but that's neither here nor there.

totodile22 September 5, 2011 10:36:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav (Post 45257)
There was a fairly popular one, before Gold and Silver came out but after Misty got Togepi in the anime, that using the Itemfinder 100 times at Mt. Moon would get you a Togepi. It was popular enough that my brother and I both heard of it independently, and out of boredom he actually tried it once.

Also: talking to Prof. Oak 100 times will make him mad and start throwing random Pokeballs at you, which you can pick up to keep the Pokemon inside.

Ah, to be 8 years old and gullible. I remember some weird kid telling me a whole elaborate story of some secret thing he did in Red and Blue. In retrospect it was pretty funny... he went on and on, obviously making it up as he went, yet I believed every word of it.

I heard that one as well, and since I didn't know that the anime was made after the game, I figured that the game would have Togepi so it was true.

I also heard a different Mew rumor, supposedly you have to have all 150 pokemon and then you can go to a special area in Viridian Forest where you find pieces for a teleporter machine that only a Machamp with strength can put together, once you put the machine together you can teleport to a place where you can find a fossil and once you go back and give that fossil to the scientists on Cinnabar Island, then you get Mew.

I believed this because the person who told me had a Mew(obviously from the glitch(which I didn't know was actually possible until just a month ago) because he once said he would tell me how to REALLY get Mew and he proceeded to go to Cerulean City and then once he found out I defeated all the trainers there, he stopped).

SilverX January 4, 2012 06:55:08 PM

When B/W Came out and I got it, a rumor started around my band that if you beat all the trainers in the game, Gary would come and fight you...

And that if you took a abra to the weirdo disappearing girl on Miracle Bridge or whatever it's called, you would get a rare candy, and you could do this everyday.