View Single Post
Old March 24, 2012, 08:22:14 PM
Regigigas

Default The Hunger Games: A Movie Review Thread (QUAD LOOK A NEW POST BE SATISFIED)

So, this past Thursday Night/Friday Morning, I had the opportunity to watch my first ever midnight premier, the movie was The Hunger Games. For those of you who don't know, this movie was made from the novel by Suzanne Collins, also known for her series Gregor: The Overlander. My main worry for this movie was that it would disappoint the expectations that the book had left many people around my age with.

So, was it disappointing?

In short: No.

In long: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

In detail: One of the main kickers of a movie based off of a TV series or book is accuracy to the original work. While some movies (Star Trek) do a good job of establishing that they are essentially rewriting the story and making it better, others (The Last Airbender) claim to be based on the series, but have so much inconsistency, it's painful to watch. The Hunger Games movie ended up like neither of these. In fact, it stayed so true to the original work, I was shocked. Let's put it this way: If I were to whack myself in the head with a wooden plank for every noticeable inconsistency to the book, I'd barely start to feel any pain.

The representation of the novel in visual form is also important, especially when it comes to the characters of the Capitol. I'll tell you right now: They look gross. Like, seriously, their faces and bodies are so decorated, it's disgusting to look at sometimes. But that's exactly how they're supposed to look! Ignoring any opinions of who the actors are for each of the characters, they're representations were either about how I expected them or even better. Probably the most important thing to represent would be the actual fight scenes. If the movie were intended to be rated R, the image of a teenager impaling another with an axe wouldn't be so bad. Since the movie was intended for teens and NOT to be rated R, a lot of the graphic events were out of the view of the camera.

THEN, there's the camera work. Oh, boy. At about 12:15 AM after a fairly long day, the last thing I needed to be looking at was a giant screen showing camera-work that looked like you were watching someone taping a home video for AFV, except with a movie-quality lens. Hindsight, I can understand the effect that they were going for with ensuing chaos, especially in the particularly intense fight scenes, but that doesn't mean I liked trying to follow it >.<'.

You can judge the movie as you like, but I am of the opinion that The Hunger Games is one of the best movies of the year so far, and it definitely exceeded my expectations for a movie based off of a novel given previous movies of that nature... *coughseriesofunfortunateeventscoughhackwheezedies *