View Single Post
Old July 13, 2012, 05:06:58 PM
Rayquaza

Okay I'm posting to announce that soon I will start my reviews of Pokemon Advanced.

Pokemon Advanced    

AG001 Get the Show on the Road - This episode is a perfect introduction to the new character May, an inexperienced trainer who is more interested in traveling then actually learning about pokemon. This results in us seeing how unconfident and inexperienced she is which is well executed for future episodes. Anyways about the actual episode, first I don't really get why Jessie is now suddenly depressed. Having a tie in of the in game event with Prof Birch was pretty creative. Dan Green's performance as Professor Birch is just terrible. The episode still had good tension with the Pikachu explosion subplot

4/5

AG002 A Ruin with a View - I like how in the beginning of the episode they really have Ash displayed as a mentor to May, even though we doesn't do to much. Oh yes, they made reference to Pikachu's love of ketchup! We also get an introduction to Team Magma but like all of there future appearances they'll later be proven as completely pointless to plot with no real reasoning behind there actions. Also Team Magma is all talk, they make serous threats in this episode but never actually do anything to be taken seriously, not even when Ash and May turn the power back on and then just fly off, making there role totally useless. Of course this episode turns into a pokemon are magic episode and it ends with them trying to make the boring character of the day interesting.

3/5

AG003 There's no place like Hoenn - I freaking love how Max's reacts to meeting Ash, his reaction seems to be like any other kid if they actually met Ash. The platform the Team Rocket stands on for one second looks like ***** and I have no idea why anyone caught that. The rest of this episode is Team Rocket hijincks but because it's with defferent people it still doesn't feel repetative, especially the moments with May's Torchic and Max.

4/5

AG004 You never can Tailow - Pokemon are jerks. Suddenly Brock just appears out of freaking no where. Pikachu is so freaking over the top in this episode. Also now the Jelly Donuts are being passed as Sandwiches. The introducttion we get of Tailow is really good. Team Rocket was used small in this episode which is also good.

4/5

AG005 In the Knicker of Time - This is the episode with the insane Pokemon cosplayer. He's a pretty fun character of the day. I think this episode is good example of how Max would sometimes be overly annoying.

3/5

AG006 A Poached Ego - I like in the beginning of this episode May cockblocks Brock by wanting to talk to Nurse Joy, May's such a jerk. Why exaclty would someone want to poach a bunch of random Ekans and Koffing in the first place. No wait it's because they need poison type pokemon because apparently poison types are needed. I like how this episode makes Team Rocket more likable without completely ruining there characters. In fact I can't help but feel saddened by the goodbye.

4/5

AG007 Tree's a Crowd - I like how in this episode Brock just completely brushes off the fact that Ash is separated from the group acting like it's nothing. The moment at the end wit the tree makes no sense at all. This episode still does a good job introducing Treeko.

3/5

AG008 A Tail with a Twist - Another Team Rocket episode and this one also isn't to bad, this one is pretty funny since we get to see Jessie have a pokemon battle with Seviper which is one of there most funniest in the show. Plus character development for Treeko so yay for that.

4/5

AG009 Taming of the Shroomish - Once again we get a bunch of random moments in an episode expanding on characters and boy do I freaking love it! We go two whole minutes without any real mention of pokemon it's so refreshing! I don't get why Brock wold be so afraid to go into a haunted mansion though. Unfortunetly this episode gets wrapped in another bland character of the day episode and same old Team Rocket Attack. Also the Shroomish told Max what they wanted. Seriously what the heck!

3/5

AG010 You Said a Mouthful - A Pelliper that knows Vine Whip, Thunder, and Flamethrower seems legit. Other then that nothing to special about this episode aside from John Cambell's over the top performance in this episode which gives it a nice touch.

3/5

AG011 A Bite to Remember - Oh boy another episode another anti evolving episode. At least in this episode Max shares my point of view. We wasted ten minutes into this episode explaining different forms of evolution. Of Poochyena evolves at the end of this episode partially ruining this episodes moral and point. On the plus side this episode still had some good moment with Team Rocket but Max got pretty annoying.

3/5

AG012 The Lotad Lowdown - This episode makes pretty good use of berries they have in game. They also do a pretty good use of Brock's character which is also refreshing after seeing all the other characters get so much focus lately. Nothing really notable though.

3/5

AG013 All things bright and Beautifly - This is the episode were we have the first pokemon contest and Ash actually training one of his pokemon to learn a new move, to bad it's Pikachu. I actually wonder why Ash made such a big deal about missing the guys appeal since he just met him, what I find most ridiculous though is how the Beautifly got a perfect score when it's basically nothing compared to what we'll get in later contests. I found Jessie's appeal round to be pretty funny. Seriously the contest in this episode feels pretty underwhelming but that's most likely because this the first one and the writers still don't know what they're doing but it's still pretty good. But of course this episode needs another Team Rocket attack because we can't even go through the first contest episode without one. Still I like how May is successful with Torchic for once.

4/5

AG014 All in a Day's Wurmble - One episode after Torchic manages to defeat Seviper and the writers have already become incosistant. The group also seems to forget about May and how terrible of trainer she is when it comes to being left alone. However this still leads to pretty good character development for May who now feels like an actual trainer.

4/5

AG015 Gonna Rule School - We get a pretty funny moment in the beginning of this episode by having Ash dress up in outfits from the gift shop Wait our heroes can actually act embarrassed over something, as in real emotions!?! WOW. Why can't there ever be a gym leader in the anime to be straight forward ab out being a leader? This episodes also marks the first appearance of Typhlosion in the anime, and only about 120 episodes late. Max becomes borderline annoying in this episode with how much unneeded focus put on Max. Still some of the ideas they have with extra random characters seem pretty good because they act like actual people. Except for the bully who is there because you can't have a school without some underdeveloped jerk. It doesn't make much sense for why the shy kid would be so smart in the end though.

4/5

AG015 Winner By a Nosepass – A like how in this episode May visibly speaks her mind about why she wants to be a coordinator, she does a good job convincing us that she’s changed. We also get another random Team Rocket subplot in this episode because we can’t go one episode without them appearing. Also this is the first gym battle Max has seen, really? Seems really strange since Max is a total nerd and would have watched at least one gym battle what a stupid pointless retcon. FOR THE LOVE GOD WRITERS HOW MANY TIMES MUST SAY THIS GROUND DOESN’T EFFECT ELECTRIC NO MATTER HOW POWERFULL THE ATTACK THAT’S LIKE MULTIPLYING FIVE MILLION TIMES ZERO IT’S STILL FREAKING ZERO. Then Pikachu absorbs Nosepass’ electric attack, man this stupid. While there were still some good strategies in this episode the way Ash took out the pokemon were incredibly poorly done.
3/5

AG016 Stairway to Devon - Why isn't that the pokemon anime is still yet to mention Silph Co but they have nearly an entire episode reserved for Devon Corp? This another episode based around one of the few scattered plans of Team Magma/Aqua that is never explained or mentioned again after this episode. I don't really get why Max is so afraid about how May feels about Max braking the PokeNav when she's never been seen holding it!! I guess it still would be in character for May but I doubt she'd care. One of the inventions they have at Devon Corp is one to see in Pokemon's dream but it's not done yet, apparently they've never heard of Muuna. Another device let's you speak with pokemon, would counter argue that by mentioning N but he's still yet to appear in the anime. Devon thinks it's a good idea to bring an inexperienced child along with him to confront a possibly dangerous criminal, screw that he needs experience. Man adults in the pokemon world are stupid. It was nice to see the company but everything else in this episode is pretty forgettable, I found Devon Stone to be a little creepy.

3/5

Last edited by Magmaster12; November 13, 2012 at 11:32:59 AM.