View Single Post
Old March 10, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
Rayquaza

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate all the feedback, almost makes sitting through all these fillers worth it, who am I kidding it is!

Master Quest    

EP212 Around the Whirlpool: What we have here is a longated episode that's basically set up for the whirl cup which will only last 2 episodes. Most of it set up for what's to come and foreshadowing of a long and pointless arc were we get filler for filler. This episode was especially longated with every moment milking for time. Take your time being ready to be a gym leader again Jasmine it's not like it's your job or something.

1/5

EP213 Fly Me To The Moon: Wow, I think this might be one of the stupidest episodes ever. Aside from the bland character of the day and pokemon the entire premise is just incredibly stupid! I mean a Pidgey that flies though the planet's atmosphere into out space and doesn't burn up! It's so freaking stupid! Also if humans can't breathe at a certain altitude what the heck is the pidgey breathing? Why don't any them just burn up? Why can't we ever get death in this show over logic? I'm asking for to much but at least this episode got some tension built up through that. However Ash and his friends did nothing this entire episode!

2/5

EP214 Takin' It on the Chinchou: ZOMG CHINCHOU IS THE CUTEST POKEMON EVER IT'S CUTER THEN DUNSPARCE I MUST THROUGH ME MONEY AT IT. I think this was the intention of the writers when they were told to make an episode of this pokemon. I mean it's likely that the uglier the pokemon the more of a god it has to be treated so people will buy the products. It's another episode with a lot of padding so we can't be in Olivine as soon as possible. So even when this show does add tension it feels incredibly forced in lengthening the episode. If anything this episode makes me hate Chinchou.

1/5

EP215 The Corsola Caper - This episodes starts with a house with a little girl inside about to go into a whirlpool and our heroes stealing a motor boat in order to save them. And peoples main complaint about this show is that Ash doesn't age. Seriously why would anyone build a house on a bunch of Corsola!?The voice acting in this episode is so terrible, I've never heard it this bad before! Also why is the group helping them find the Corsola, what debt do they owe them!? Yes and leave it to Misty to catch one of the worst pokemon in the game. She also uses are lure ball on it even though she never caught it through fishing.

2/5

EP216 Mantine Overboard - Due to our heroes case of ADD they are late for a ship yet again and forced to go on an even more boring of an adventure. I like the fact that this girl gives the twerps a ride on her boat DESPITE NOT KNOWING THEM AT ALL. I have to admit though Team Rocket did get a good laugh out of me in this episode. In fact they did a pretty good job at building tension making this episode pretty interesting.

3/5

EP217 Octillery The Outcast! -
Meowth: When Boss sees all that cash he'll respect us in a flash
Team Rocket: Let's get the stash!
Hey I thought only PUSA could give Team Rocket bad puns.
Why is it that pokemon only evolve if the character of the day wants them to but we never see any of Ash's Pokemon evolve, specifically this season!
Oh man the beginning of this tourney is just terrible, it's all just OHKOs because instead we need to get focus on the character of the day and his own problem because this junk is the only thing the writers can write about! Also why are more people participating in this then the pokemon league!?
Seriously they can't stretch out this episode with a long battle just a lame story about an outcast octillery! It's so stupid! No wonder why the writers rely on Team Rocket so much, nothing happens in this episode! It took 14 minutes into an episode for Team Rocket to do something, must be a new record. Overall a pretty meh episode.

2/5

EP218 Dueling Heroes - So we finally get a whirl cup with all the build it most be great right? right? First, Kingler gets its first battle since the Indigo League
this is notable because we'll probably never see it in battle. The battle between Ash's Totodile and Kingdra starts off pretty good, showing us some moves never used in the anime but its ending is so stupid. He bites down on Kingdra's mouth when it uses hydro pump and expands! There's this moment with Misty about her saying how happy she is about being part of the whirl cup but it's such a short moment of actual development it just feels out of place! Her battle with a Qwilfish is also pretty poorly done, Misty basically is unable to land and attack for the entire battle and when she finally does she wins! And we end up seeing Ash vs Misty early, but I'll talk about this next episode.

3/5

EP219 The Perfect Match - After seeing only match both our main characters are pitied against each other, and how does it go down? Terribly, duh. First why did the writers feel they needed to end this so quickly? I mean they really had better ideas then making them go further? Really this battle is on the level of the battle between Ash and Ritchie, it is just plain poorly done. I mean this is an important battle for Misty and she wins with Psyduck!? I mean Ash has completely forgotten what gives Psyduck it's power! For shame writers, for shame. And Misty's loss. WHY? As if this tourney wasn't pointless enough we can't have a real achievement or character development for her? This is her last season and a perfect way to show how Misty has grown as a character, they already planned to replace Misty at this time but nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooc instead she gets her butt kicked against someone who didn't even come close to winning! There was no point in Misty loosing and no point in this poorly done filler arc! While Ash loosing the pokemon league allows the series to move on without making him seem to over powered there is no point for Misty to loose! Trinity is such a bland character. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY? WHY DO NEED A TEAM ROCKET ATTACK! Overall this episode was a painful watch.

1/5

EP220 Pant it now Diglett Later - What's worse then the Whirl Cup? MORE FILLER! The amounts of stupidity is just to much for me to overall comprehend. The plot is all over the place, I have no idea what I can say about this episode aside the fact it's just well weird. I don't even think this episode was put onto paper, it was all just improvised! The episode makes Kanto plots look perfect by comparison!

2/5

EP221 Hi Ho Silver Away - Honestly, why do our characters care about these two characters who are in love, in fact why should I care!? Why does this episode exist it's so freaking pointless even as a pokemon episode!? The group does absolutely nothing this entire episode! This has got to be the most pointless episode of pokemon ever! Oh and Ritchie's Sparky reappears, as if I didn't like this episode enough.

0/5

EP222 The Mystery is History - You know, this show has a long history of knowing how to anger me, but I think this might top it. We get an arc about the legendary pokemon Lugia and who do we get? We get the bland one sided character that no one likes, except for maybe the people that think they're a couple, Richie. Also 4kids is really inconsistent with the name of this island of the day because they keep switching back and forth forth between the Japanese name. This entire set is just basic filler and set up for the next 2 episodes but this episode still feels really pointless. Also, why is Richie here? We never get an explanation for why he's in Johto and he doesn't really do anything different at all. Ash STOP FREAKING CALLING OUT BAYLEEF YOU HAVE OTHER POKEMON. I'd appreciate it more if he just used a less annoying pokemon more often, like anyone else on his team besides Pikachu or Bayleef!

2/5

EP223 A Parent Trapped - The month is almost over and so far I've watched only 5 episodes of the anime, out of the first 200 episodes never before have I felt less motivated to continue my marathon, because it's just so terrible. So I apologize I just wish it was easier for me to get through this. The episode just starts off with our heroes wondering how they'll get Silver back when just like that the parent Lugia pops up! Yep, now if only they'd wish for Arceus to show up to kill them all so this series will end. Not to mention the animation they have for Lugia is TERRIBLE you tell they only drew him with a few frames in mind. Most of it is obviously recycled from the second movie which is stupid because it's not like Lugia is the hardest pokemon to draw. Man the blandness level of all the character is a 10/10 I mean MY GOD everyone, Richie and the other two arc of the day characters. Not complaining to much though since every character we've had in Johto has been incredibly one sided but they make Richie seem like the most dimensional character! Only thanks writers for not including Misty and Brock in this episode over Ritchie, because why should we have those compelling characters when we can have a bland Ash clone? It's just so out of character for them to stay behind and there's no reason for it. The moments with Lugia searching for it's son was so freaking pointless and done just to stretch out this episode, what a surprise more padding! Not that the random scenes we have with Team Rocket and Prof Namba have any fluid to them either. My god this episode stretches itself out so freaking much! come on I'm waiting 5 minutes for something to actually happen. A SIMPLE EPISODE OF DRAGON BALL Z HAS LESS PADDING THEN THIS!!!! Surprise! Lugia is captured, what a moron. We also just cut to the twerps in a cage at the end not that it mattered if we actually saw that!!!

1/5

EP224 A Promise is a Promise - Well for starters at least this episode seems to have some good tension to it. Okay Namba do you really need to stay concentrated to put that one headband on Pikachu, it doesn't look that hard. It's all worth it to see Ash headbutt Prof Namba then smashing the machine with a bat! Wait. Why do they actually use pokemon to fight in this show again? Pretty awesome but this was set out way to easily. Also are Butch and Cassidy the only characters in this base that use pokemon? And there headbands explode just like that!!? This show has gone from to little of nothing to to much of something! Now the battle with Namba's Electabuzz is lingering on incredibly. Not to mention it's terrible. While this is the last time Ash will meet up with Richie sadly this is the last time we'll see him.

1/5

So that was the Whirl Islands Arc, and it was just plain AWFUL. I am just astonished out how bad this show is at trying to carrying an overall plot but then messing it up so easily, it's not hard this goes to show how horrible Johto is even without fillers! There were so many missed opportunity and not to mention the animation is at an incredibly low quality! So yeah for shame makers of this show for shame.

EP225 Throwing in the Noctowl - Ours heroes who seem to have no sense of time or scheduling are yet again trapped on an island without a way to the next island. To this episode's credit the character of the day in this episode is actually. Interesting? Man it feels so refreshing to have a character of the day that isn't totally lop sided. Other then there's just something about this episode I didn't like it might because I've sat through so many bad episodes I'm not in a good mood but darn it! Also Jigglypuff thanks for being shallow and stupid enough to out right almost killing our protagonists! Best episode of the season so far, which isn't saying a whole lot.

4/5

EP226 Nerves of Steelix - The first third of this episode is dedicated to a Team Rocket battle, but I'm not complaining to much since this does showcase Jasmine's Steelix and
she only has 2 pokemon.
Jasmine: Go Magnemite
Ash: Go Pikachu
Me: ASH YOU HAVE HAVE OTHER POKEMON THEN PIKACHU THAT CAN ACTUALLY ATTACK MAGNEMITE YOU ARE SO STUPID YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BREATHE. This is the sixth gym battle in a row were he's using Pikachu he has other pokemon gawd! Then he takes out the Magnemite in less then a minute! Steelix doesn't end up effecting Steelix, maybe you should have thought twice about the fact that Steelix is a ground type before sending him out. In fact why don't you just try to set off the sprinklers like you did against Onix! Speaking of which why doesn't he send out Totodile instead, did the writers even know that Steelix is a Steel/Ground type? Overall this battle was pretty rushed and poorly done at the same time, Steelix gets all the hits until last minute were Cyndaquil hits last minute and OHKOs it.

2/5

EP227 Bulbasaur the Ambassador - The group runs into this random guy and tells them he's headed to Ekriteak City and gives them a ride.
Moral: Always trust strangers. As much Bulbasaur did absolutely nothing whole thing of Bulbasaur being an ambassador to pokemon visiting Oaks ranch is just stupid it makes no sense at all why he'd be the only one pokemon who can help or why all these pokemon can't just settle there differences or even move, NO they must be jerks and refuse to move because problem is never bad in the wild. Not like they can settle there differences on there own. Also we can't understand anything Bulbasaur is saying to them to get them to get along, just stupid or bad writing you decide. Bulbasaur just uses Solar Beam and they get along. Then this episode just lingers on like crazy with Bulbasaur helping out random pokemon and Tracy and Oak just standing on the side doing nothing like a bunch of morons they are. Then the moment were Bulbasaur gets with by a giant boulder and we get a bad music played to random clips with Bulbasaur. WOW Never before have I seen such a random excuse for a bad AMV. In fact I can imagine there are probably some kids watching this that now think he's dead because of this random cut. Look if you're going to have a montage of all the moments with a pokemon you can't just do it at random moment in the episode out of no where because then it's forced and contrived. This episode has to be one of the most anticlimactic good byes for Ash.

1/5

EP228 Espeon Not Included -
Brock: Your family now has all the evolution of Eevee.
Oh Brock if only you knew.
A large portion of this episode is dedicated to Team Rocket dressed in Kimonos just well being but it is Team Rocket so it is pretty funny but it gets old pretty fast. We also get this huge pointless recap of the Whirl Islands arc, it happened less then 5 episodes ago why did we need a recap? Jessie is mad that they don't have an Espeon oh Jessie if only didn't suddenly become so OCD and remember other then the fact you said in the original series there were only three. I do like how they show Sakura has come of age off screen and grown as a character. Problem is though this episode lingers on a lot. I guess the whole return of Sakura was mandatory and I should give this episode credit for not feeling forced and keeping my attention. I really do wish Sakura would join the cast though.

3/5

EP229 For Ho-oh The Bells Toll - Once again our plot is set into action by Team Rocket because apparently they're the only characters in this universe to do something major to get the plot going. Seriously for once can we NOT be the one to get the plot going? I love the irony of Suicune getting mad at Ash over the fact that he hasn't seen Suicune but Ash has. This episode has a lot of tension built around it from the pokemon attacking but it doesn't a whole lot of sense. I mean all because a bell broke all pokemon want to just take over the world? Early on in the series this would have worked with the whole, if only pokemon and humans can coincide message being shot around a lot but now it seems really forced. I guess it might not be to forced though since they're referencing the first episode with it by throwing in Ho-oh. I honestly don't get why we have this random seen of Eusine trying to capture Suicune COMPLETELY FORGETTING THE POINT OF THIS EPISODE. Suicune then just appears and everything is just back to normal. This episode is over loaded with a lot moments that almost come off as completely random despite making the characters more fleshed out this episode just felt a little pointless necause the whole humans and pokemon must live together is so forced in. Other fans will probably like this episode more then me but it just wasn't to enjoyable for me.
Also why could they have the whole pokemon and humans coinsiding thing return when it would have actually matter with Team Plasma and N? Oh wait its because they NEVER fallow through with anything when it actually matters!

3/1/2 /5

EP230 Extreme Pokemon - Well Gary Oak has now become a bland boring Gary Stu, hope you're happy writers. Also Ash is concerned about how people using pokemon who are hooked up to a leash and using them to skateboard and is more concerned about the pokemon! Are you kidding!? Ash as much as how many times Pikachu had tried killing you with Thundershock I don't think have a leash on them is that dangerous! Not that it matters since this ignored later on. Especially considering the fact he ends up using the smaller Bayleef. He also seems to get over his anger pretty quickly. I have to admit it is intriguing watching Ash do something else with a different goal in mind. I also like how we don't see Team Rocket until we're 8 minutes in. But oh man 4kids you nd your incredibly unfitting dub music, it's so unfitting! And then right in the middle of the freaking race after all the build all the focus gets put on yet another Team Rocket battle! Gee I wonder what will happen? The tension is just so incredibly high! NOT. Still this
is probably the best episode so far mainly because it barely featured Team Rocket but it's still not saying much.

4/5

EP231 An EGGciting Adventure - Amazing how I don't have much to say about an episode that's actually pretty good. I enjoyed how this episode gives us a change of pace by being a mystery, albeit a bad one but it's still a good change. The voice actress for Officer Jenny does a terrible job and the music is incredibly unfitting but it was still a pretty good episode.

4/5

EP232 Hatching a Plan - This episode is basically one boring Team Rocket scheme after another so I think it's pretty clear on how I feel about this episode.

0/5

EP233 Delibird Dues and Don'ts - Something strange about this episode is the fact that Team Rocket attacks in Football uniforms, considering this aired here in America the day before Super Bowl XXXVI this was probably planned. What is it with the anime and manga making Delibird all powerful? It also makes sense for them to be removed from Team Rocket after so long and failing so much. But why does Team Rocket need pension and a retirement plan and human resources? THEY'RE A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION WHAT FEAR DOES HE HAVE IF THEY GO ON STRIKE WHEN HE CAN JUST THROW THEM IN JAIL! Overall this episode still wasn't to bad.

4/5

EP234 Just Waiting on a Friend - In this episode Brock mention he had a Ninetails a while back, 4kids way to be just completely wrong yet again. This is yet another great episode, strange thing is so far the only episode that have been good don't even focus on pokemon that much in general. I liked how in this episode Brock does have a lot of personality and I also enjoyed Ash and Misty doing stuff all within and the mystery if Ninetails. To bad this story could be done with just about any show. Also did we really need a Team Rocket attack in this episode!! At least it's sped up.

4/5

EP235 A Tyrogue Full of Trouble - Well back to terrible fillers. Dan Green in this episode puts as little effort as possible putting life into our character of the day not helping how he's already kind of a boring character but still pretty fun.

3/5

EP236 Xatu the Future - Wow the people in this town are REALLY stupid, but yet again I'm questioning the logic of people in a show where people force little monsters to fight each other and stuff them in small balls. This episode also gives us this random Family Guy esque Manatee gag to show us Jessie was a weather reporter at one point. What does this have to deal with anything? nothing just 10 seconds of sheer randomness. Still pretty funny neither-less. The episode's morral isn't to bad and it doesn't even fill put in last minute or overly done.

4/5

EP237 Talkin Bout an Evolution - GASP For once the writers are actually following something from the game! To bad they're way to late for the entire plot with the Lake of Rage to make sense. Speaking of which the whole stuff about the Radio Waves gets used to make the pokemon weaker makes no sense but also very little. The whole idea is also forgotten about really quickly. I do like how they have the Persian statues in the secret base like in the games, that was a nice send off.
Science Man: Together we will make breakthroughs in Pokenistic Science. Yes you so didn't totally did not JUST come up with that word. Also why they heck are they sending out rookies to do the main job when there track record is 0-???.

3/5

EP238 Rage of Innocence - Like the morons they are Team Rocket you again let's our heroes go free, I don't really get why when the pokemon are already weakened and Lance shows up a few minutes later to help them. What is up with how in the middle of this episode Ash just seems to try and befriend Gyarados to stop it from raging? Oh my god. Pryce has the worst voice I've ever heard and it's so unfitting! it sounds like a raspier version Gary! Well at least this episode had some real tension and excitement other then that this one was pretty stupid.

2/5

EP239 Cold as Pryce - Team Rocket do you have to narrate this entire episode for blind people, they spend the first half of this episode pointing everything else. Ash using his Phanpy against Dewgong, that's just incredibly stupid. I do like how Pryce is a well developed and has his own back story. Something I don't get is that the moral is weak. If a close friend betrays you, you shouldn't act cold and harsh to others because the whole time they've trying to help you and real friendships do go on forever. This is seriously a terrible moral for kids, writers!

3/5

EP240 Nice Pryce Baby - Man this has to be one of the worst pun-titles of them all. BECAUSE ALL KIDS IN 2002 WERE LISTENING TO VANILLA ICE. This really shows how 4kids knows so little of there general audience. When Pryce sends out Dewgong he sends out Cyndaquil and for the first time ever he doesn't send out Pikachu! This is another poorly done pokemon gym battle with.
Ash and the gym leader's attacks not hitting
Gym leader comes up with a strategy
Ash counters it resulting in a OHKO
Gym Leader OHKOs with his next pokemon
Ash sends out Pikachu
The Anime completely forgets typing
However as the battle of Piloswine vs Pikachu progresses it does get better.

3/5

EP241 Whichever Way the Wind Blows - Episodes they have after a gym battle are always incredibly terrible. Just another case of WSIGAD. I like the fact how this anime always goes out of the way to tell us wrong forced evolution is such as with Pikachu but these just evolve naturally. Also way for the group to do absolutely nothing in this episode, they're just there do nothing. Honest to god though, why the heck are they fighting in the first place? Are Pokemon just secretly racist!? I mean these pokemon are fighting
but then what? Even Team Rocket's role in this episode is completely pointless and unneeded.
Misty: Oh what should we do? We can't just stand here and let them fight!
Brock: Actually that's exactly what we have to do Misty.
Man: Brock is right if we need them to stop fighting we need for them to understand in the end it won't get them anywhere.

WELL NO S***. IF WAS THAT IMPORTANT TO NOT DO ANYTHING WHY TRY INTERFERRING IN THE FIRST PLACE I WASTED 22 MINUTES OF MY LIFE I'LL NEVER GET BACK ALL BECAUSE YOU COMPLETELY LACK UNDERSTANDING.

0/5

EP242 Hot Matches - Well it's been about 50 episodes since the last time we've had a hot spring scene so of course we get yet another one in this episode. After about 30 episodes of Misty doing absolutely nothing it's very refreshing for her to actually be doing anything. It does a good job of showing off Misty as an individual rather battle partner #2. That and fire is my favorite elemental type. The character of the day also isn't bad either, like kind of interesting. Other then that nothing about this episode really stands out.

3/5

EP243 A Great Change in Pokemon Magic - This episode was pretty enjoyable, I like how there's a focus and the character of the day us also really fun. There's two things I don't get. Why do they randomly bring up the whole pokemon and humans must coincide thing again? Why did they turn Ash into Pikachu then change him back in the next episode? Seriously this is an awesome idea for an episode, I think the writers are just trolling me now.

4/5

EP244 As Clear as Crystal - Episodes starts with a disguised Team Rocket putting Pikachu into a container. Yep Ash it's not like other people have tried stealing Pikachu by doing that. Overall besides the appearance of Zapdos there's nothing special about this episode, just another one with a bunch of drawn out Team Rocket attacks.

2/5

EP245 Same Old Song and Dance - Wow the writers of this show have now somehow made me hate Jigglybuff even more and didn't even think it was possible. Oh man the stage show is just so annoying! I guess I shouldn't be so suprised since the people who did this are the same people behind pokemon live. I can understand like really little kids enjoying this but grown men!? This isn't like MLP. I do enjoy the fact that Team Rocket does there song again. This episode is also the English debut of the song Takeshi's Paradise and it is awesome! I noticed this on a rewatch but when Jigglypuff is digging through the gangs bags she finds a handkerchief in Misty's and bread in Brock's FORESHADOWING.

3/5

EP246 Enlighten Up - In this episode Ash and his friends encounter a cult, no lie. The moment in this episode where the group tries to find enlightenment as we look into there heads was very amusing. Especially considering how one sided the characters in the show have been lately. Actually this episode had a lot of good moments in it and used all of the character to there full potential instead of just making constant Team Rocket attacks. If only more fillers were like this.

4/5

EP247 Will the real Prof. Oak please stand up? - So 4Kids now thinks kids listen to Eminem, they're probably setting up the bar to high it's still better then making a Vanilla Ice reference. This is another episode that focuses on Team Rocket why to much and gets pretty boring fast. It just focuses on one joke. Get it because Jessie and James look like Oak and DJ Mary. Seems pretty ridiculous that they would leave the contest of who the real Prof is to just three questions! I mean honestly they could just ask either Prof for some ID or anything like that? What a stupid plot.

2/5

EP248 Wish upon a Star Ship - I'm starting to think they just wrote these filler episodes so they can debut the rest of the Johto pokemon one at a time again, because yeah they weren't doing it at a slow enough pace already. Not that this episode isn't bad though. The pokemon mystery club actually is a pretty funny group. I like how they reference the previous invading Clefairy episode, you'd think they'd learn how to properly fly there space ship. Man Team Rocket's role in this episode was so freaking unneeded. We also get a brief montage of all the three moments Phanpy has had with Clefairy because you know we don't remember what happened in the last 20 minutes.
4/5

EP249 Outrageous Fortunes - Someone forgot to tell the animators that Misty is supposed to be the same age as Ash because in this episode she looks more like she's 20. It's not helped by the fact in this episode she looks like she's a foot taller then Ash. I like how Team Rocket's scheme is thought out in this episode and less straight forward.
Ash wants to help find the stolen Poliwrath by using Noctowl but can't because he was still at the Pokemon Center. Gee it's not like another character like Brock owns a flying type like Crobat! Seriously this is a prime example of how Brock is neglected way to much for the writers to just forget about what pokemon he uses. Not that it matters since they find Team Rocket rather quickly. And now the device Team Rocket was using to control Poliwrath lands on Jessie and everything fit perfectly, not only that but Meowth now has the controls to control her as a pokemon. Why do I get the feeling someone with a bizarre fetish wrote a fanfic about this. You'd think they'd try to put the machine on another pokemon but nope, Meowth has to fulfill his fantasy! As much as I am complaining this is still pretty funny.

4/5

EP250 One trick Phony - Once again the Team Rocket plot is less straight forward and I enjoy it for it. The battles in this episode are pretty good too. Problem is it kind of gets boring fast. I enjoy that they kept a lot of the original music in this episode which is pretty rare for the series at this point

3/5

EP251 I Politoad you So - Man what a boring episode, it's hard to make you feel emotion for a character of a day when you honestly don't care about them until last minute.

2/5

EP252 The Ice Cave - Ah the final episode to get banned by the wrath of 4kids. Despite being covered in water Pikachu is still able to use thunderbolt on Team Rocket, whatever. For an episode banned for featuring Jynx the pokemon isn't focused that much. This episode isn't to bad since we have some pretty funny moments with Brock and Team Rocket I think it's quite a shame this episode got banned.

3/5

EP253 Beauty is Skin Deep - Clair's first appearance is in this episode and while it is interesting to learn about Dragon pokemon stuff,Clair's voice actress is just plain awful. Although it's not helped by the fact that like all other Johto gym leaders she is dull! The way Clair is protecting Dratini without it being shown to evolve just makes Clair come off as a moron. I hate the ending to the episode where we get a random light dragon that goes up into a star. No sense or explanation at all. Man this episode was drawn out way to much an nothing seems to happen.

2/5

EP254 Fangs For Nothin' -
Brock: Wouldn't you know the battle for his final badge would turn out to be his most difficult one
Me: ...
So far this battle has had more narration in it then actual battling. The rest battle is the same way until *suprise* Clair needs to stop Team Rocket because this town with valuable treasures only has one strong trainer!?
Brock: Wow I can't see a thing
Me: Open your eyes then!
And then the rest of the episode is the same old boring Team Rocket antics.

2/5

EP255 Great Bowls of Fire – Of course the obvious Charizard silhouette at the end of the last episode was Ash’s Charizard, I never would have guessed! It’s like Lisa and Clair are competing to see how can do the worst voice acting. I like the fact that despite how Charla is in love with Charizard there are still arguments over its gender, I blame fanfic writers. Oh boy more pointless mentions of Pokemon and People must live in peace. Even though the move Dragonite is using is obviously Outrage based off the fact it won’t stop attacking is confused. Nice to know after five years you still don’t do your research 4kids. Oh man the battle with Dragonite is really awesome but also pretty sad at the same time. My only problem with this is how off it feels for Team Rocket’s plan to go on this long for it to get annoying. But it’s nice to see Clair be less one sided and show her being smart.

4/5

EP256 Eight Aight Enough – The battle in this episode is just awesome.
Probably the best gym battle in Johto easily although that’s not saying much but it is legitly good. Even though this is the eight gym battle in a row to use Pikachu!!

5/5

EP257 Why Why Not? - I can imagine this episode had a lot building up to it. Introducing new Pocket Monster for Pokemon Advance!!!! ZOMG. Find it strange that this episode probably had more build up then the Kecleon one. Still Whynaut is still pretty funny in this episode. The flashbacks for the gym badges in this episode are unnecessary and bring back bad memories for me like it was only done to stretch out the episode, it’s really pointless for them to just flashback randomly. Once again Brock has another opportunity to use his Crobat and doesn’t use it again, what a jerk! I mean we see creepy images of Clair creepily flying around on her Dragonair.

4/5

EP258 Just Add Water – Nnnnnnooooooo this is the last episode of the main anime to focus on Misty . I do find it funny how despite this it’s still refreshing to see an episode focused on Misty. Seeing Brock expecting female synchronized swimmers was pretty funny. Seriously this is probably Brock’s most perverted moment. The guy wants to have a gym just like the Cerulean Gym. So he basically wants to only focus on putting on shows and handing out all their badges without battling. Seriously why are Ash and friends having this underwater battle in their regular clothing!?! It’s not like they haven’t established having swimwear. Not only that but there’s just able to stand underwater. Trivia note, this is Goldeen’s first real battle, took only 257 episodes. The battles in this episode were pretty good but Team Rockets annoying pointless attacks are pointless and annoying.

3/5

EP259 Lapras of Luxury – How is it that Ash’s Lapras has aged but Ash hasn’t? I do like how we get a revisit from an older pokemon like Lapras, it’s pretty well thought out. Ash refers to Ice Beam as Cold Beam despite how commonly 4kids is correct is about this move. After nearly 50 episodes of absense the writers finally seem to remember Brock has a Crobat which he wants to send out for specified reason.

3/5

EP260 Hatch Me If You Can - So the egg Ash & Friends received in the last episode has now hatched but is sick. As if that isn't bad enough the power in the pokemon center is knocked out and the generator breaks. Wow I had no idea Team Rocket wasn't the only one who could create problems in this show! Oh wait no Team Rocket is responsible for EVERYTHING that goes wrong in this show! Of course the group falls for Jessie as Nurse Joy despite not be able to move her lips when talking because of a mask! I like the fact that when Brock reasons that it's a phony Nurse Joy we doesn't bring that fact up either! I thought Team Rocket was in great debit how the heck the affording all these machines? Oh screw it, why would they need to start being consistent now. This episode was okay, it attempts to flesh out Ash's character more but it ends up failing by just showing characteristics already established in previous episodes. The appearance of Ash's mother is also random.

3/5

EP261 Entei at your own risk - Well it appears Larvitar is still having trouble around humans, this pretty good because it leads to good developmental and interactions between characters. It also feels like a relatable situation I can see a lot of younger kids relating to, so points for that. Then all of a sudden an angry Ursaring shows, my guess he's mad about the animation budget because this entirely random scene clearly reuses animation from an earlier episode! CONTINUITY! I don't get it, rock types aren't fond of hot springs but fire types are!? The plan Ash has to brake through the truck is actually pretty well thought out. Of course Ash has a battle with a ghost type and it's even pointed out, now because of that you'd think Normal type moves wouldn't work, after all it's like the only thing the writers have been consistent about. hah. And Brock ends up saving the day by giving us the most random evolution in the series. Hey it's two Johto pokemon making debut in one episode so I have no complaints! Seeing the character of the day challenge Entei was also a high point of this episode.

4/5

EP262 A Crowning Achievement - I wrote this long review of this episode but of course I'm moron who forgot to save. This is another episode where Ash and Friends do nothing.

2/5

EP263 Here's looking at You Elekid - Casey returns in yet another episode, only 5 minutes in and her baseball puns are giving me a terrible headache. Once the group runs into Casey they seem to completely forget about Larvitar who has been kidnapped. This episode probably freature Meowth worst fantasy about capturing a pokemon but at least there's now a motivation. This episode then goes in a completely different direction and we have James trade away his Victrebelle, this entire sub plot is really funny especially how they try to portray it in a serous light. Team Rocket using Sweet Scent is also a good idea coming from Team Rocket. In a way this episode is good because it had a lot to it, in fact all most to much, it really felt like these were originally written as two separate episodes then they combined both of them and made this.

4/5

EP264 You're a Star Larvitar - YES THIS THE DEBUT OF MAGBY THIS THE BEST EPISODE EVER!!! I like how this episode portray evolution in a positive light for once. It also brings up the idea of Ash trying to evolve Cyndaquil. But does he? Nope. We have to wait about 8 years. It's also really refreshing seeing Ash actually prepare for a conference by showing him train. I like how in this episode Ash and Larvitar make an actual well thought out plan to take down Team Rocket. And of course at the end of the episode Ash still doesn't believe in evolving his pokemon because he believes they have heart. Because that worked out so well for Ma-Ti.

4/5

EP265 Address Unown - This episode starts off normal, the group find an injured pokemon of the day, they heal it and Team Rocket shows up in a comical fashion. Only catch is half way it falls into OMG what is this what happened to my regular routine moment! When everyone is shown to just disappear. I like how Brock is shown to know exactly where they are so quickly. He spends this entire episode explaining everything likes he's suddenly a total genius. This episode is also kind of a mind f***. This episode also tries to be symbolic by using physiology, honestly never thought I'd being saying that about pokemon. Looking back I can just see a whole bunch of little kids watching this and just thinking to themselves wut. This is a great episode for analyzing.

5/5

EP266 Mother of All Battles - In this episode we get the big reveal of who were the people who stole Larvitar's egg and it was! Joey Wheeler!!!! Man I hate when 4kids actors don't try to distinguish there voices. Brock already knows about the Pokemon Preserve Ranger, totally not a creepy at all Brock. This episode also seems to have a lot of bad rhymes in it, including fart jokes and I have no idea if its 4kids and or just overall bad writing. This leads to some of the worst dialogue ever including fart jokes. Some of Brock's antics with the Ranger were pretty funny. I have to admit it was pretty sad to see Larvitar go, but I'm to see him back with his mother.

4/5

EP267 Pop Goes the Sneasal - In this episode we get the introduction of Richie Harrison. Who is just as bland as Richie but doesn't have "Ash Qualities" like him. We also get a boring pointless back story on the Ho-oh, seriously, I'm guessing now that this will be an excuse by the writers for Team Rocket to steal it, I'm calling it now. It also makes no freaking why a Sneasal would care so much about the flame in the first place or why a Machoke and Machop would want to team up with it. Serously what a logic fail. Oh man the animation in this episode is really bad. To anyone who used Sneasal in Gen II they should know that they pokemon is freaking weak but here it's really strong. Even though the established it as being strong it never actually did a whole lot of battling.

2/5

EP268 A Claim to Flame - This episode starts off by showing us how perfect Gary is, he already has his paperwork filled out, his pokemon planned, and is now just chilling and greets Ash politely. That's him perfect Gary. No wait he's actually still a jerk to him because of 4kids. Either way I'm still mad. Mr.Goodshow as head of the pokemon league thing sees at his duty to hand out balloons to the fans and introduce himself. Totally nothing creepy about an old man with a backwards baseball hat handing out balloons no sirree. I like how they show screenings in this episode, it makes sense with the amount of opponents that could be in this conference. For whatever reason Brock starts mentioning levels in this episode like a lot. The method Ash uses to take down Furret is pretty cheap but whatever it's pretty good aside from the fact the pokemon goes down so quickly. This episode has a really good moment between Ash and Gary without having Gary be a total jerk to him. It also portrays in a more interesting light. We also can't go one episode without Team Rocket doing anything to effect the plot so of course out of ALL the trainers they decide to kidnap Ash of course because it's not like he has any peers to draw his attention from. This really angers me because it just gives annoying flashbacks to how the kidnapped Ash before the Richie battle. I have a feeling they put this in as a back up plan in case they released RS to early. Of course they had to have Ash bring in the flame AGAIN, it's not like Gary is the one that caught it. Amazing how much good and bad stuff this episode has.

4/5

EP269 Love, Pokemon Style - Less then 3 minutes into this episode we already have Team Rocket appear!!! THIS A TOURNAMENT WE ALREADY HAVE TENSION FROM IT THE LAST THING WE NEED IS TEAM ROCKET NOW!!! Oh well the chase is still entertaining and makes Macy more of an interesting character, seriously she's one of my favorites now. I freaking wish they'd go into Misty's jealousy more though. I wonder why the writers were so reluctant for Ash to use his Kingler since 10 years later and still hasn't been seen in battle. The writers also seem to have remembered that Electric doesn't effect Ground and we get to see it use Earthquake, how awesome. It should be noted that this is the first time Phanpy has won a full on battle. The execution of Squirtle's battle was really good.

5/5

EP270 Tie One On - Whoa spoiler alert! The character of Jackson is kind of like an inside joke, if 4kids had half a brain and knew it was the same character in Legend of Thunder maybe just then he would be more amusing as a character. But nope 4kids don't know noting herpy derp. Then again it would have also been more interesting if they also included Marina and Jimmy in this tournament but they can't ever have male game characters either. I'm confused fighting isn't allowed but sparring is. This episode doesn't have a whole lot of tension because we know that if Ash looses this battle he'll just have to battle again and we know that won't happen. Still the battle is really good. 4kids nearly ruins the impact of this battle with there poor music. Also how the hell did Brock get Pikachu at the end of this battle when it was used by Ash?

4/5

EP271 The Ties that Bind - Finally after 5 years we finally get a full 6 on 6 battle, not only that but this is also the first battle in the series to use six pokemon. I freaking love the pre episode build we have for this episode and the build up and development we have for Ash's rivalry while at the same time showing us how far Ash has come as a character. Then Charizard appears in a way that in real life probably would have killed him instantly. The battle starts off feeling pretty rushed not that it feels poorly done.

5/5

EP272 Can't beat the Heat - The battle continues and it still feels pretty rushed. However the battle between Charizard and Blastioce ranks this as the best battle of the original series. Delibird also comes in to collect Team Rocket's money they made from the pokemon league and I guess this is how they paid off there debit since this is the last time the sub plot is brought up. This brings a good conclusion to the rivalry of Ash and Gary.

5/5

EP273 Playing with Fire - Another battle and this one is just as good as the previous one. The is also the last battle Totodile and Bayleaf have appeared in onscreen.

5/5

EP274 Johto Photo Finish - This is it Blaziken vs Charizard truely this is a battle worth noting. Wait the battle just ended in 15 WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!? Random filler DUH. Nah I'm just kidding, this is a good set up for Gary to decide become a researcher and I'm pretty this doesn't come out of no where completely. Also what do Team Rocket with there Bill Collectors? They attack there Bill Collectors with a giant mecha buildings! Wish I could do that.

4/5

EP275 Gotta Catch Ya Later - Nooooo not Misty!! SHE WILL RETURN SOMETIME. I'll go into my thoughts on Misty leaving and role in the show later though. As the group returns to Viridian City the PokeCenter now has a new Nurse Joy, I'm guessing the previous one took Ash's blame for blowing up the Pokemon Center in the second episode. Of course instead of having Team Rocket be an antagonist for Misty we have to have an annoying underdevolped villains slammed in. This is slammed out of no where but I really enjoy the interactions between the trio. I like how they make a call back to Ho-oh as a plot device to get the plot moving and have Ash go to Hoenn. Speaking which of course we get another Team Rocket battle in this episode. This still has good result with Ash climbing back up the pit fall with a fork and spoon.

4/5

EP276 Hoenn Alone - Oh man I am so freaking sick of the Team Rocket loves to eat running gag now, that leaves zero running gags left I like. Oh and once again Team Rocket kidnaps Pikachu because Ash can never put the thing on a leash. Clearly this episode is totally necessarily as the final episode of the original series. It's not like they could make any tributes to the last 275 episodes or anything no. We have to get an episode that tries to copy everything involving Ash. This then turns into annoying filler, not like they're needed. OH WAIT THEY AREN'T. Meowth is kind of needed to explain what Pikachu and the other pokemon are saying the entire episode. Well aside from the fact this is a contuated into the second part with Pikachu's illness it's uneeded.

1/5

Pokemon Heores    

I have to admit something, I've never seen this movie in one sitting because of my hatred of the edits that 4kids made to this movie for no reason and you know why? I freaking hate how thy dumbed this movie down, this movie has a lot of stuff that's not typically done in a pokemon movie and leaves it more intriguing but OH NO 4kids has to step and ruin it to make it another stupid pokemon movie. Wow 4kids somehow made the fifth opening even more bland by just repeating the same last lines over and over again and a guitar solo already in the song! how lazy. And so Latias decides to help Ash win this water race by cheating! I'd also like to point out that the background art they have for Alto Mare is really nice. Annie and Oakley aren't member of Team Rocket in the original version but I don't mind that to much since it makes them seem a lot less shallow as villains. My god the amount of 3 dimensional CGI turns they do in this movie is making me dizzy, it's like they're copying the matrix or something. 22 minutes in and it feels like half the movie has already been spent on Ash chasing after Latias. *yawn* Darn it these legendary eon pokemon really go down easily.
Oakley: I can control the whole world from here!
M Bison: Of Course!
I hope you're happy this movie is now resorting to me stealing jokes! In the original version she just wants to take over Alto Mare but whatever this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to begin with. So far Team Rocket has had more lines then Brock and Misty in this they're like nonexistent here. Yet this movie still seems to remember the fact Brock has a Crobat. While this movie is well paced, it's just overall to short leaving for a weak final battle. However I think the climax where Latias shows what Latios is seeing is one of the best moments for the series.

4/5

Character Analyzation    

Ash - Ash's role as a character was greatly reduced during Johto saga, but the funny thing is he got far more focus then any other season. Problem is he was left pretty one dimensional. The only trait he really seemed to show during Johto would be his caring and determined nature which was shown throughout whenever he bonded with a pokemon but that's just it. The best thing we got out of Johto was the explanation for why he's determined in the first place, to be better then Gary. It did show us though that Ash has become less rash though. Another thing to note however is that after Ash's battle with Clair it's a start of trends Ash where he uses more diverse startagies like body slamming the water. Towards the end of the series we see a departure in Ash's cocky attitude which will continue on in the next saga.

Brock - Brock pretty much has the role he had in the last series but to an even later degree, he spends countless episodes on the sidelines and basically works as a live in maid the group and he flirts, lots of flirting. Even the episodes where Brock got focus he was still forced to stay on the sideline so he never did much, what's funny is that the writers won't even be done with him as a character for another 8 season, but Johto was probably where he got the least screen time. I can only guess this was because the writers had not planned to keep him as a character and bring him back brought the writing staff trouble.

Misty - Misty finishes her last saga as the female tough as nails tomboy we have known to love. Doing girly things whenever the writers or 4kids wanted her to. Problem is that like Brock she never really did much or got a lot of development. Unlike Brock though Misty still seemed to stay the main focus of her episodes instead of just falling into the sidelines. She gained interest and participated in the Whirl Cup and didn't gain anything from it. Last season we saw her relationship with Ash get more subtle hints but that also didn't go anywhere. When she left it really did show how she's developed as a character from being such a hot headed character to a more calm collected water trainer. I really think that she made a smaller impact on the series as it went on and if she had stayed on the series she would have to just stay on the sidelines and I'm glad that they keep her appearances minimal.

Team Rocket - Team Rocket is Team Rocket they cause all the problems in every episode and in turn create bad tension. One good thing I can say about them would be how towards the end of the series they came out with more intriguing will thought out plans but that's pretty much it.

Gary Oak - At the beginning of Johto we get the impression that Gary has matured, and he kind of has what's wrong with that is the fact it made him boring and one dimensional. Fortunetly when it came to battle Ash he regained it it also led to a more touching moment between Gary and Ash as they retouch the true meaning of there rivalry but also there real friendship. I do find it believable that him and Ash are friends and I do find it believable of him to become a pokemon researcher, after all he does seem pretty finished with battling but it's not like he'll disappear from the series forever just for about four years.

Bayleaf - Bayleaf was probably the most annoying and fun member of Ash's team. She started off as a selfish and needy pokemon and we needed to sit through every freaking second of her fits. Of course as the most popular pokemon it had to be the only member of Ash's team to evolve and the only pokemon worth noting here. It's evolution was slightly symbolic of its attitude, that it was no longer a little kid but a more mature pokemon and not a cry baby and looking it's quite a shame know Bayleef has not been seen in battle for 10 years because it was a fun pokemon. Her relationship and abuse with Ash balanced her out a lot and I'd love to see the pokemon more.

Full Review    
This was probably the best part of Johto. While we get some of the worst episodes during the whirl islands arc proving to be pointless, unneeded and wasted potential. It also had one of the worst episode of the entire series I've ever seen and also one of stupidest. But it still has a lot of great moments. The entire last quarter has great battles along with great moments between Ash and the Larvitar arc is a really high point for the anime. The Johto league is also a huge improvement over the previous one with two of the most epic battles of the original series. Not only that but we get a great conclusion to the rivalry between Gary and Ash. The animation for Johto gets pretty bad and never as anything to stand out. The voice acting is also pretty bad but I don't blame 4kids for this since they were throwing out at least 5 episodes a week thanks to KidsWB and the earlier release of RS so I wouldn't blame them on this one. so overall this season still was pretty flawed but had a share of some of this sagas best.

3/5

4 To Watch

A Great Change in Pokemon Magic
Eight Aignt Enough
Adress Unown
All The Johto League Episodes

4 To Skip

Whirl Islands Arc
Hoenn Alone
Whichever Way the Wind Blows
A Hatching Plan

Last edited by Magmaster12; July 13, 2012 at 04:46:24 PM.