Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 24, 2011, 08:36:56 PM
Volcarona

Default Games you think everyone should play

This is for people who like the game and think and good enough to be for everyone. (not ESRB wise)

Portal - the memes are always fun ,but the thing about Portal is that it introduced the idea of first person puzzle shooting using well, portals. Gabe Newell (a guy who works at Valve and is a funny internet meme himself) really knew what he was creating and though "Hey, if we had a gun that brought you from one place to another, how would that work?" And I believe that Portal definatly as well as it's sequel should be played.

Resident Evil- Resident Evil is pure gold classic in terms of survival horror, the series might have fallen down in Resident Evil 5, but I believe Biohazard deserves to be played by anyone who hasn't. It's one of capcom's best series with Okami and Mega Man.

Nintendo in general- I love Nintendo to death and probably 1/3 of my friends like Nintendo. (which is creepy) But, look at the classics the Wii has.. Most are Nintendo which surprises me.

Old Sonic games 1991 to 2003 - before Sega went through a bankrupt, Sonic actually defined the definition of speed up to Sonic Heroes. And then, fell like a brick at Shadow the Hedgehog which while explaning Shadow's back story didn't quite do so well in terms of graphics and the long gameplay in some missions take ten minutes. Sonic is the true competetor to Mario and now I see why he is.

Anything Rareware on N64 - nuff said. It defined a lot in my eyes. Bad Fur Day made the multiplayer like CoD only on n64. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are amazing. And DK64 with the most popular Banjo Kazooie are all great games. No lack of work was done and I was quite surprised with some of the fun I had.

Anyways, post whatever you think should be played by everyone.

EDIT: I failed at spelling everyone

Last edited by Mario227; May 24, 2011 at 08:47:43 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:40:01 PM
Giratina

Just a note - Valve didn't actually come up with the concept of Portal's gameplay - That was an indie company who made Narbacular Drop, and Valve then asked them to help them make Portal.

But yeah, I definitely think that Portal and Portal 2 are games that MUST be played. Minecraft, too, is a really great game and an example of how open and diverse a game can be.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:00:23 AM
Volcarona

Unreal Tournament 1 and Unreal Tournament 2003. Hair trigger FPS at its best.

Also, Deus Ex
Old May 26, 2011, 01:33:00 AM
Servine

I never really played very much of the old Sonic games. They're good, but I'm more into ones with a bit of a story to see. I actually started out with Shadow the Hedghog, now I've played a lot of others [including ones /before/ Shadow that have better graphics] I have to agree that the game is fairly bad in terms of graphics.

I'd have to say that the best games for people to try are:

Blue Dragon - Very good storyline, very addicting if you like RPGs, and an atagonist you just will hate to your very core.

Hamtaro - Very old and very much for little kids, but hey, it's easy, fun, and very cute.

Megaman - Long storylines, lots of fighting, lots of missions and sidequests. The viruses constantly showing up and bothering you can make it a bit of a drag at times, though.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:35:32 PM
Servine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA View Post
Also, Deus Ex
Cannot be stressed enough. I'm not even into shooters, and this game was and is pure gold.

I'm gonna mention the same game I always do in threads like these: Fire Emblem. =P It's gameplay that's both accessible and hardcore, like extreme chess. It's simple on the outside and easy to learn but there's always more to do and discover. Then top it off with incredible storylines and unforgettable characters. One of the best strategy series out there, period.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:14:50 PM
Giratina

But don't play Deus Ex on windows 7 unless you like discoloration.

I'd have to say the old Fallout games. Really a great RPG game that actually did choice well. You could easily choose to go with one faction then as soon as they trust you kill all their children with a sledgehammer. Win.

There's also Need for Speed Underground 2 for anyone into racing games. Customizing every inch of your car with literally millions of combinations is rarely done these days.

Mass Effect for similar reasons as Fallout. Though like all Bioware games you can't kill whoever you want. Duuuumb.

The STALKER series is pretty good for FPSRPG types. Yes I have a fetish for post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland games.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:15:01 PM
Shaymin

I recommend the following games because I've played and enjoyed them and they define the genre they exist in.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Although OoT is critically acclaimed for defining 3-D adventuring, it was in fact Majora's Mask who brought with its predecessor an updated control scheme, a more well-woven, darker story, an antagonist who was literally insane, and more emphasis on sidequests and exploration.

2. Super Metroid. Any pro Metroid fan would be able to tell you that Super Metroid is the pinnacle of 2-D platforming games. Any pro Metroid fan would also tell you that it's still a challenge for them to 100% it and speed-run it despite the fact that people have been going at this thing for like 17 years.

3. GoldenEye 007. Although I prefer EA Software's spiritual successor for the same console, The World is Not Enough, GoldenEye is still a big hit with friends and cousins whenever they come over. The arcade-y FPS multiplayer is loads of fun, despite the fact that this game hasn't aged very well.

4. Metroid Prime. OoT/MM defined 3-D platforming and exploration. Metroid Prime did it again. Combining FPS elements with the classic Metroid claustrophobic exploration and adding an amazingly written narrative makes the Prime games what they are, and what they are is kickass. I'd also recommend the Prime Trilogy remake or Metroid Prime 3: Corruption as the added FPS Wii Remote/Nunchuk schemes make the games feel so much smoother.

5. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. StarFox is overrated. Rogue Squadron is the best dogfighter sim I've ever played. You're not on rails, you can pick your craft, there's several missions within each campaign level, the graphics are amazing for an N64 game (probably the best on the console), and the passcode system makes it even more fun.

Old May 26, 2011, 06:29:23 PM
Linoone

@Lite

Imo, Majora's mask has to be one of the best games in the series, definitely under appreciated since it was more experimental then it's predecessor.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:10:16 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
I recommend the following games because I've played and enjoyed them and they define the genre they exist in.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Although OoT is critically acclaimed for defining 3-D adventuring, it was in fact Majora's Mask who brought with its predecessor an updated control scheme, a more well-woven, darker story, an antagonist who was literally insane, and more emphasis on sidequests and exploration.

2. Super Metroid. Any pro Metroid fan would be able to tell you that Super Metroid is the pinnacle of 2-D platforming games. Any pro Metroid fan would also tell you that it's still a challenge for them to 100% it and speed-run it despite the fact that people have been going at this thing for like 17 years.

3. GoldenEye 007. Although I prefer EA Software's spiritual successor for the same console, The World is Not Enough, GoldenEye is still a big hit with friends and cousins whenever they come over. The arcade-y FPS multiplayer is loads of fun, despite the fact that this game hasn't aged very well.

4. Metroid Prime. OoT/MM defined 3-D platforming and exploration. Metroid Prime did it again. Combining FPS elements with the classic Metroid claustrophobic exploration and adding an amazingly written narrative makes the Prime games what they are, and what they are is kickass. I'd also recommend the Prime Trilogy remake or Metroid Prime 3: Corruption as the added FPS Wii Remote/Nunchuk schemes make the games feel so much smoother.

5. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. StarFox is overrated. Rogue Squadron is the best dogfighter sim I've ever played. You're not on rails, you can pick your craft, there's several missions within each campaign level, the graphics are amazing for an N64 game (probably the best on the console), and the passcode system makes it even more fun.

I agree with everything you just said there.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:27:00 AM
Volcarona

Mario bros.
It can't get any more family friendly than that, and everyone loves themselves some Mario.
Old June 9, 2011, 03:10:35 PM
Landorus

Kirby Squeak squad. I personaly think it is better than kirby super star ultra.
Old June 12, 2011, 03:03:58 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytz View Post
everyone loves themselves some Mario.
lolno

Prototype is a great game that I started playing. Part parkour, part zombie apocalypse, really good graphics, and it uses the same engine as Spiderman 2 if any of you have played that (Another game you should play if you haven't)
Old June 12, 2011, 10:02:00 AM
Volcarona

Only three Mario platformers I actually liked (no galaxy, sorry. just wasn't the same Mario I used to remember)

Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Super Mario Sunshine

(although unlike most people I grew up with Super Mario Sunshine)
Old June 12, 2011, 10:10:11 AM
Shaymin

With 3DS VC, I was incited to play Super Mario Land.

Jesus Christ this game is so weird. It's like if you took out the Tanuki suit from SMB3 and then replaced it with Koopas that explode, new enemies, and UFOs.
Old June 18, 2011, 09:20:26 AM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7dewott8 View Post
Kirby Squeak squad. I personaly think it is better than kirby super star ultra.
Personally my favorite would be the Magic Mirror, but sadly that one seems to be often overlooked.
Squeak Squad was a bit short and easy imo, and it dissapointed me you didn't have more options with mixing powers (pretty much everything except the sword things gave you randomized powers).

Last edited by WherewolfTherewolf; June 18, 2011 at 09:27:52 AM.
Old June 18, 2011, 12:36:42 PM
Volcarona

Spiral Knights and TF2
Old June 18, 2011, 05:02:39 PM
Landorus

I also recomend Crystal monsters. For 500 points and 74 ish memory blocks (no 3ds guarentee's) It' worth it!~
Old June 20, 2011, 05:01:51 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaberslash View Post
TF2
YES.

Mmm.....Devil May Cry, although nail breaking hard as hell literally. The series is amazing with a story so good it beats Resident Evil. To be quite honest, I can tell DMC5 won't be so great because it reminds me nothing of the older ones.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:28:46 AM
Charizard

LoZ:Ocarina of Time [64 Version], Conker's Bad Fur Day [64 Version], Super Mario All Star and Super Mario World [GBA Version]
Old July 16, 2011, 05:14:05 AM
Giratina

Pokemon, Halo, Call of Duty, Assasins Creed.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:12:13 AM
Mudkip

Default MUST PLAY GAMES

Final Fantasy 7/8/10, Shadow of Memories, Crisis Core, Devil May Cry and Prince of Persia.

Last edited by Misty; August 6, 2011 at 09:12:40 AM.
Old August 12, 2011, 04:32:04 PM
Linoone

Chrono Trigger
Bioshock
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid (1,2 or 3)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Pokemon
Old August 12, 2011, 04:57:16 PM
Zoroark

Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V, (most, if not all)Pokemon games.

Why?.Well Chrono Trigger is a classic, and all nit-grit gamers should at least play through it once. Dragon Quest V has such a good story and gameplay that it should never be overlooked. Well Pokemon is Pokemon.
Old August 12, 2011, 06:32:25 PM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest V, (most, if not all)Pokemon games.

Why?.Well Chrono Trigger is a classic, and all nit-grit gamers should at least play through it once. Dragon Quest V has such a good story and gameplay that it should never be overlooked. Well Pokemon is Pokemon.
Chrono Trigger is all awesome. Characters are great. Soundtrack is king. I'd play it for the sweet videogame jams alone!
Old August 19, 2011, 07:00:35 AM
Zoroark

doom
quake 1 and 2
minecraft