Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 30, 2012, 07:02:52 AM
Volcarona

Default Windows Lose Focus for no Reason

I've had this problem for a few months now. My computer likes to make windows lose focus for no reason whatsoever. It's incredibly annoying while playing games and using other full-screen programs. I've tried changing the priorities of programs I'm running in the Task Manager, but to no avail. The problem has progressively gotten worse and is now to the point where I don't have even a minute before the window loses focus. If there is any way this problem can be fixed, I'd like to know. If it means anything, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:56:52 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbragg View Post
I've had this problem for a few months now. My computer likes to make windows lose focus for no reason whatsoever. It's incredibly annoying while playing games and using other full-screen programs. I've tried changing the priorities of programs I'm running in the Task Manager, but to no avail. The problem has progressively gotten worse and is now to the point where I don't have even a minute before the window loses focus. If there is any way this problem can be fixed, I'd like to know. If it means anything, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.
How old is your computer? When the window loses focus, does the app minimize itself if it's full screen before? If you're using a laptop, have you tried with other mice? If you're using a desktop, have you tried changing keyboards and mice? A malware scan using multiple scanners wouldn't hurt, too (don't run multiple real-time protection software though)
Old April 30, 2012, 08:04:03 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
How old is your computer? When the window loses focus, does the app minimize itself if it's full screen before? If you're using a laptop, have you tried with other mice? If you're using a desktop, have you tried changing keyboards and mice? A malware scan using multiple scanners wouldn't hurt, too (don't run multiple real-time protection software though)
I got my computer for Christmas 2010. Full-screen programs minimize to the taskbar when they lose focus. I have a desktop that has changed keyboards and mice to no avail. I have tried malware scans with multiple scanners, but they don't find anything. The problem could lie in the fact that I am running multiple real-time protection software. I'll uninstall the one that's expired and test.

EDIT: Great, something is preventing me from uninstalling it. There's another barrier to tackle.

Last edited by isbragg; April 30, 2012 at 08:07:32 AM.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:43:18 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I got my computer for Christmas 2010. Full-screen programs minimize to the taskbar when they lose focus. I have a desktop that has changed keyboards and mice to no avail. I have tried malware scans with multiple scanners, but they don't find anything. The problem could lie in the fact that I am running multiple real-time protection software. I'll uninstall the one that's expired and test.

EDIT: Great, something is preventing me from uninstalling it. There's another barrier to tackle.
There's your problem. Now, what were you trying to uninstall? What's the exact error?
Old April 30, 2012, 08:48:22 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
There's your problem. Now, what were you trying to uninstall? What's the exact error?
I'm uninstalling McAfee. What I get is a white box on my screen. Presumably the window that would allow the uninstalling of it, it shows nothing but white, and never loads anything else. This prompts me to close said window using the taskbar.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:50:35 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
I'm uninstalling McAfee. What I get is a white box on my screen. Presumably the window that would allow the uninstalling of it, it shows nothing but white, and never loads anything else. This prompts me to close said window using the taskbar.
Are you able to uninstall it from Safe Mode?
Old April 30, 2012, 09:03:25 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Are you able to uninstall it from Safe Mode?
Attempting that yields the same results, a white box.
Old April 30, 2012, 09:13:04 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Attempting that yields the same results, a white box.
I think I have a bad feeling about this. Nothing else is unusual, and (one of) the CPU (cores) isn't taken up fully, right? it's a bit strange to think about it, but McAfee products are known to be quite the problem to uninstall.
Old April 30, 2012, 09:15:26 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
I think I have a bad feeling about this. Nothing else is unusual, and (one of) the CPU (cores) isn't taken up fully, right? it's a bit strange to think about it, but McAfee products are known to be quite the problem to uninstall.
Norton would say something if a core was being used a lot. I haven't seen anything.
Old April 30, 2012, 09:19:24 AM
Kyurem

I think you might want to take a look at Process Explorer and Autoruns right now. I forgot where in microsoft's own site, but it should be on the Sysinternals section or something?
Old April 30, 2012, 09:27:17 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
I think you might want to take a look at Process Explorer and Autoruns right now. I forgot where in microsoft's own site, but it should be on the Sysinternals section or something?
I take one look at those programs and go "I'M NOT THAT ADVANCED OF A USER!" What exactly am I looking for in these programs and what do I do with it?