Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 23, 2011, 02:25:00 PM
Giratina

Default My findings on modern video games and gamers

In this day in age of video games, First-Person Shooters dominate the market. Too many people nowadays don't pay attention to what should be in a well thought-out game. They judge a game based on what should only be a tiny part of the entire game itself - graphics and quality of weapons. They are completely oblivious to what makes a game great - game-play, story, character design, and character development throughout the game.

Games with the standards of good quality are more often than not shunned by companies that copy the basic premise of a first person shooter. Namely RPGs. Role-Playing Games almost always have a well thought-out story, expertly made characters and their personalities, and the development of the characters is so great, you want to cry when tragedy strikes and stand-up and cheer when they triumph.

FPS games today are quite predictable. Most all of them have a dull setting with an even duller story, if at all. No development of your character, in fact, your character doesn't even have a voice in most cases. Most of the time, the company spends the most time on the multiplayer aspect of their game. While this isn't much of an issue when the game is centered around multiplayer, such as Team Fortress 2, it becomes an issue when the game has an in depth multiplayer, but tries to sell itself as a good single-player experience, namely the most recent Call of Duty games.

FPS games wouldn't be as predictable if the average gamer of today would be open to innovation. Games like Brink have great ideas, but too often they receive negative feedback from the gamers who are used to their standard run 'n gun games. With the inability for developers to make innovative games and be welcome in the majority of the gamer community causes developers to fallback to the dull setting and overused style of games.

Gamers also refuse to open up to different genres of video games, making it that more difficult for developers that aren't cookie-cutter FPS producing machines, seeing as a large portion of gamers only play FPS games. Whatever happened to the incredible buildup of suspense that led to the epic battle between your party and a gigantic monster with the dramatic music that backed up the theory of "You're going to get destroyed"? It's sadly been replaced with getting from Point A to Point B while absorbing as little bullets as possible.

When great games, such as Kingdom Hearts or Pokémon, are even remotely discussed with the FPS gamer, they immediately shun it without having accurate knowledge of what they are shunning, rather, they act on the false knowledge that other FPS gamers have said about those games, having only seen bits and pieces of actual game-play. If they open up to new ideas, they might enjoy the video games they have been shunning. They, as well as any other gamer, should not shun a game without first playing it. Unfortunately, FPS gamers happen to shun anything that isn't an FPS game.

Another unfortunate fact of the average modern video gamer is they don't seem to have a good point of comparison. Seeing as they tend to move from the game to game based on what is the newest and most popular game, they can't make any good judgement on what is or is not a good game, which is why games that deserve lower scores get high scores from the average gamer. Whenever the average gamer judges a game, it's extremely bias towards the fact that they have only played one genre of game. They will say only positive things about the genre they play and only say negative things about the other genres they don't play.

All in all, I believe the reason why FPS games are dominating the current day video game market is because FPS developers were the first to act when the current consoles came out. Parents gave their children the consoles and whatever happened to be out for them. Sadly, those games were FPS games, so now, those children wont play anything. Had other genre developers acted sooner, they might've had a stronger foothold in the market today.

I just worry for the future of video games and gamers. I hope the market will be better than what it is today. It should be more diverse than just large amounts of FPS games.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; December 27, 2011 at 07:08:44 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph explaining more about modern gamers
Old December 23, 2011, 03:25:28 PM
Volcarona

This, should be pinned. This makes perfect sense, and I barely even keep up with video games nowadays.

If there's one wish that I have for the Video Game Industry, it's that there is a point in time where we can have new 8 - bit, 16 - bit, 64 - bit and Modern Day Style Video Games being made at the same time. That, and the arcades return to their former glory.

And no, I have no hatred towards FPS.

Last edited by GalliumGrant; December 23, 2011 at 08:09:04 PM.
Old December 23, 2011, 04:08:04 PM
Volcarona

Let's all give a round of applause for Quad's post. The FPS genera should just DIE! +1 for sticky.
Old December 27, 2011, 07:14:35 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbragg View Post
The FPS genera should just DIE!
I don't think the FPS genre should die, I think developers need to rethink how FPS games are made though. Instead of Call of Duty style, maybe they should try something like Half-Life. Or something that isn't dull looking and only allow you to carry two weapons, something like Dues Ex: Human Revolution.
Old December 27, 2011, 07:23:59 PM
Shaymin

When FPS games became really popular, I enjoyed getting up before my parents to play CoD World at War. However, MW3 and Halo Reach ruined MY FPS gaming experience. There's is absolutely no plot in either game.

Now on to my random rant. Video game designers gear more toward the male persona. I know. For example seeing we're on FPS games, there is not a single main character in the CoD franchise that is female. Most video game characters that aren't RPGs are male or intending to be male (Saints Row.) I feel it's sexist
Old December 27, 2011, 07:31:58 PM
Joltik

Does this include FPS crossovers with other genres? Such as Portal as a FPS/Puzzle game? Or Fallout as a FPS/RPG? (well the newer Fallout games)?

Just wondering.

I agree with most your points,though, even if I do like a lot of FPS games.
Old December 27, 2011, 07:36:03 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashing Leaves View Post
Does this include FPS crossovers with other genres? Such as Portal as a FPS/Puzzle game? Or Fallout as a FPS/RPG? (well the newer Fallout games)?
Those games aren't modern styled FPS games. Those games are more of their other genre than they are FPS (Portal is more Puzzle, Fallout 3 is more RPG). Modern styled would be something like the most recent Call of Duty games: Dull environments, 2 weapons, run 'n gun main mechanics.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:22:15 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
something that isn't dull looking and only allow you to carry two weapons

Or any Halo game.
Old December 28, 2011, 01:54:15 PM
Joltik

I like Halo... I play it for the story though, no lie. I really just like the story in it, I like the world in it.

I personally don't mind having just two guns - in real life you wouldn't be able to march around with that many guns. Two you could though.

I like FPS as an idea for gameplay, I like games in an FPS format. I prefer First-Person to Third-Person when I have the option.

But there is a lot of room for improvement.

Just my opinion really.
Old December 28, 2011, 03:49:59 PM
Volcarona

This is why I recommend all of you at least try Warzone 2100. It's an open source game from 1998 that has an active modding community. It's a real-time strategy game where you get to design your own tanks ingame.
Old January 7, 2012, 04:34:08 PM
Haxorus

just play games that you wanna play.
Old January 15, 2012, 02:22:50 PM
Floatzel

I prefer good stories in my games. I hate shoot-'em-up games, but because of my politeness, I usually have sit through 30 minutes of shootings when I go to my friend's house.

I also believe that those shooting games aren't good mentally. When you run around killing people/animals like that, don't you think that would start to effect your mentality towards actual killing? Also, what's the point? There is none.

Personally, I like puzzle games or RPG games. I think Sonic games would be cooler if Sonic was in a Legend of Zelda type world, with more puzzles. (But then again, you can't really move around at super-sonic speed in a small field without getting bored really quick. xD)
Brawl games are about as violent as I would want to get. The only shooting game I like is Link's Crossbow's Training.
Old January 15, 2012, 06:06:54 PM
Giratina

Just a note: I'm not saying don't play FPS games, I'm saying moderate yourself. This especially goes for children.
The people who say "CoD is the best game ever" are also the same people who never moderated themselves as kids.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:06:53 PM
Magikarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX View Post
I prefer good stories in my games. I hate shoot-'em-up games, but because of my politeness, I usually have sit through 30 minutes of shootings when I go to my friend's house.

I also believe that those shooting games aren't good mentally. When you run around killing people/animals like that, don't you think that would start to effect your mentality towards actual killing? Also, what's the point? There is none.

Personally, I like puzzle games or RPG games. I think Sonic games would be cooler if Sonic was in a Legend of Zelda type world, with more puzzles. (But then again, you can't really move around at super-sonic speed in a small field without getting bored really quick. xD)
Brawl games are about as violent as I would want to get. The only shooting game I like is Link's Crossbow's Training.

killing people in a video game does affect a persons mentality towards "actual killing". however, i believe it doesn't have detrimental effects, other than desensitizing towards the idea of and imagery of death and the like.

>Brawl games are about as violent as I would want to get

Brawl isn't very violent compared to FPS games.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:20:47 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRcHiNg12step View Post
However, MW3 and Halo Reach ruined MY FPS gaming experience. There's is absolutely no plot in either game.
Quote:
no plot
Yeah, because Noble Team totally wasn't trying to defend Reach from falling? Cortana totally wasn't handed off to the Pillar of Autumn, which becomes Master Cheif's companion, was she? Surely not. Because Reach totally isn't where Spartans are born, and there surely isn't a gigantic ring threatening to be used to destroy all sentient life within it's galaxy? Can't really speak for Warfare 3, but I do know my Halo, and there is a plot throughout the franchise. Sounds like someone skipped all the (short) cut scenes.

Quote:
Video game designers gear more toward the male persona. I know. For example seeing we're on FPS games,I feel it's sexist
You can't always have both. It's either male or female. It's not intentional, and even then, no one is forcing you to play it. Not only that, but Reach has female spartan options as well, and let's not forget about Kat.

Quote:
I also believe that those shooting games aren't good mentally.
If anything, FPS games do nothing more then sharpen the image of murder by guns and make it clearer, and easier to imagine. If it really disturbs you to the point you want to go on a killing spree (no halo pun intended) then you might want to see a doctor. I love playing Halo, does that make me a murderer, too?

Quote:
Also, what's the point? There is none.
Halo's point is to save the galaxy from being infected by a disease called the Flood, and to prevent destroying everyone within range of the ring. Not that you would know that. Believe it or not, FPS games do have an objective.

Quote:
As DivideByZ said, Brawl isn't very violent at all, compared to many FPS games. Not only does it lack any sort of blood (and I'm not saying it makes a game, because it doesn't) it's missing the profanities just as well. It provides a level of detail not available in an rated E for Everyone game. More of an artistic-ish value, if you will.

Also, Twilight Princess, which is what Crossbow Training was based off of, was rated T for, oh I don't know, animated blood?
Old January 25, 2012, 04:47:08 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshArmy View Post
If anything, FPS games do nothing more then sharpen the image of murder by guns and make it clearer, and easier to imagine. If it really disturbs you to the point you want to go on a killing spree (no halo pun intended) then you might want to see a doctor. I love playing Halo, does that make me a murderer, too?
Just thought I might add my 2 cents here. Most researchers nowadays would agree that controlled amounts of video gaming, especially FPSes, can improve the condition of ones mind. Certain FPS games have been scientifically proven to enhance reflexes, response timings, and ability to ignore visual distractions.

Give this a read:
http://www.cognizancemagazine.com/?p=66