Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 4, 2011, 01:49:42 AM
Administrator

Default The awesome experience of the 14th movie in theaters

Oh man...all I have to say about Pokémon the Movie White: Victini and Zekrom was that it was an absolutely amazing experience to finally see a new Pokémon movie in theaters for the first time in nine years. I had been having thoughts, imagining such actually coming to fruition, but I never thought it'd be possible to finally get to see a Pokémon movie in theaters since then. And how it turned out...was far greater than my expectations.

First, with the movie starting at 10:30, I arrived at the theater just about 10:00, having to drive around a rather large Santa Claus Marathon nearby. I met Yoshi and Greenie waiting in line to pick up tickets. Yes, there was actually a line, and there was quite a significant age range: kids around 8, mid-teens, guys in their early twenties (like us), and adults--and yes, a couple of them were with nobody else. And yes, this was about the only movie playing at this time, so they weren't there for anything else. Upon getting to the ticketing counter, I received a bag with a variety of goodies (detailed below). My excitement grew significantly. We walked to the concession stand, picked up some popcorn, and headed into the auditorium.

There were only about twenty to thirty people in the auditorium at the time, but we decided to sit on the side to be away from most of the crowd. There was quite a bit of chatter about Pokémon Black/White and a lot of Street Passes on the 3DS. As the movie started, they forgot to dim the lights and the projection was beyond the edges of the screen. Roughly ten minutes in, the screen went black and quite a few people gasped. After they fixed the projection settings and dimmed the lights, the movie started over, and I could hear a few older voices saying excitedly, "Yay, finally!" and "That's better!" This was the perfect opportunity for folks who scarfed down their popcorn to get their refills. I can't really say many of the comments that I heard throughout the crowd due to spoilers, but there were a few "You can do it" and cheers towards Reshiram, Zekrom, and Victini, and a lot of giggles during specific scenes with Victini.

When the credits started to roll, a roar of applause spread throughout, and I looked around, noticing that the room now had at least 60 people in it. I hadn't heard such applause since Star Wars: Episode III. Only a few people left during the credits, most leaving after the movie, and I could tell many others were happy to have seen it.

Oh, and I wore my Sinnoh starters shirt today and received a total of four comments (all positive). I spotted a number of other shirts, mostly Pikachu, but one person had a Victini plush (imported from Hong Kong on eBay), and another had a full Ash (Unova style) getup.

As for the items in the goodie bag, here's what we got (click images for large size):
  • Victini AR card, usable with Pokédex 3D
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Victini AR - front.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2357Click image for larger version

Name:	Victini AR - back.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2356
  • Pokémon the Movie White: Victini and Zekrom sticker

Name:	Sticker.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2355
  • Oversized holographic Victini trading card

Name:	Giant Victini card.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	2354
  • Promotion for the Pokémon website

Name:	Online.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	783.6 KB
ID:	2353
  • Sampler of the Pokémon: Black and White manga

Name:	Manga sampler.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	2352
  • Promotion for Pokédex 3D

Name:	Pokédex 3D.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	2351
    • (Reverse) Information on receiving Victini in Pokémon Black and White

Name:	Victini Wi-Fi event.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	2350

And here's a scan of my ticket stub just because.

Name:	Ticket stub.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	2358

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 9, 2012 at 10:51:21 AM. Reason: Interesting typo
Old December 4, 2011, 02:23:02 AM
Rayquaza

Sounds like an adventure. Pokémon would never be shown in theaters here. I guess I should wait for the DVD release.
Old December 4, 2011, 05:16:47 AM
Regigigas

You get a goody bag?!

Well now I'm pissed that I can't see it. Pardon my French.

It would have been nice if they'd shown it in more than 300 theaters. Hopefully the success of this movie's theatrical release means they'll do it again next time at a theater near me.

Last edited by Leaftail; December 4, 2011 at 05:21:54 AM.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:48:08 AM
Administrator

Obviously since I was with Cat, my experience was pretty similar to his. That being said I have one thing I'd like to add.

I actually got to the theater at 9:40 (movie starts at 10:30) because I had no clue what traffic was going to be like. I went into the main area where you buy tickets and there were two people there (said kid who dressed as Ash who had the Victini plush and his father). I talked with them about Pokémon for about 10 minutes and then a family (with an 8 year old and a 5 year old) walk in. The 5 year old noticed the Victini plush and said "Look, that's Victini!". I got curious, so I take out my car keys (which has the Kangaskhan keychain from the old Burger King toys) and ask "Do you know what this Pokemon is?" He stared at it blankly and had no clue. I felt old .

Other then that my experience was similar to that of Cat's, however this was actually my very first time seeing a Pokémon movie in theater. I had great time and hope to be able to do it again for the next movie.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:45:25 PM
Servine

I went too, but it was just me and my mom.

Humorously my mom expected mostly a bunch of little kids to go, but most attenders ended up being adults and late teens. Likely they grew up with the game. I wish I could've been in a line and with friends though, the theater was only about half full

Found it lovely though, but most things official and Pokemon have a habit of stimulating my amygdala anyways. Colorful as ever, and loved picking out the ones I loved.

Last edited by Glitchy Furrystuff; December 4, 2011 at 07:46:20 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:53:03 PM

I decided to go on Sunday, seeing that it was actually playing in a theater near me. I enjoyed the movie greatly, and I also like the giant Victini card. I think I almost cried from the nostalgia in the beginning, finally seeing a movie like this in theaters again. The time after the movie kinda sucked, but that's for another time.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:26:19 AM
Administrator

Just an FYI, if anyone went to theaters and they didn't have gift bags, there is a forum here that you can fill out to receive one in the mail.

Now here's the thing, for those of you who didn't go to the movie it is probably possible to fill out the form, and still get the stuff if you put down the location of the movie theater near you that was playing the movie. However, I'm not sure if their database knows which theaters did and did not receive the bags so picking one nearest you may or may not result in anything. Don't know, just a thought based on what little info the form wants.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:18:49 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Now here's the thing, for those of you who didn't go to the movie it is probably possible to fill out the form, and still get the stuff if you put down the location of the movie theater near you that was playing the movie. However, I'm not sure if their database knows which theaters did and did not receive the bags so picking one nearest you may or may not result in anything. Don't know, just a thought based on what little info the form wants.
I guess they won't ship it to the UK. The option's there, though...

It sounded like a good time, there was probably more cheering there than at the Senior finals at the Birmingham VGCs last year... :I Too bad the UK doesn't have a lot of people like you guys.
Old December 6, 2011, 12:00:04 PM
Administrator

I think the United States was being used as more of a test audience for bringing a movie to theaters out of Japan, probably because the States rank second (behind Japan) in number of Pokémon fans. That's why they did it for only two showings at select theaters across the country. I do hope they continue doing this each year, and I hope that folks in other countries (mostly the other major Pokémon countries--UK, Canada, Australia, etc.) get it as well. I think the free showings of Movie 13 were their true test for how many people would attend.
Old December 6, 2011, 02:54:16 PM
Mudkip

Default Victini And Reshiram

This might be a little off topic but The Pokemon Movie Black Victini And Reshiram will be on Cartoon Network this Saturday.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:05:29 AM
Cyndaquil

Me and Jack wanted to go on Sunday Morning because it was the only time we would have been free but didn't get a chance to go. D: It sounded so good I wanted to go so frickin' bad!
Old December 11, 2011, 02:26:56 PM
Linoone

To be honest, this movie had to be the best out of all the other ones. it had a little bit of everything that made the movie that much better. seeing reshiram and zekrom in their stone form was cool, i didn't expect the stones to be as big as they were though.
Old December 12, 2011, 05:11:03 PM
Mudkip

Post The Excitement Of Seeing Pokemon Movie 14 Victini and Reshiram

Hey guys last Saturday (12/10/11) I saw Pokemon Movie 14 Victini and Reshiram. It has got to be the most epic movie yet. A lot of people think that Zekrom is better but I think that Reshiram is better. Anywhey this Thread is to talk about the movie, not an ongoing battle/contest to see which Dragon is better

Last edited by Reshiram5; December 12, 2011 at 05:11:41 PM.
Old December 29, 2011, 06:07:54 AM
Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
I guess they won't ship it to the UK. The option's there, though...
Neither do I think they would ship it to Belgium. ;_;
Oh well, I hope they will show it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
...and I hope that folks in other countries (mostly the other major Pokémon countries--UK, Canada, Australia, etc.) get it as well.
Well, the Netherlands is also quite a major Pokémon country, though I hope
they might give the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, Flanders also a try. :/
I can just hope...
Old January 1, 2012, 03:44:08 AM
Giratina

I'm obviously late but from what Cat has described, I honestly feel like watching a Pokémon movie in a theatre now (which is not going to happen any time soon, considering the place I live in). It seems really cool to meet up with people in real life who enjoy Pokémon just as much as you do, especially when watching a movie that everyone is raving about.

Last edited by Shadow; January 1, 2012 at 03:44:37 AM.