Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 29, 2015, 09:14:50 AM
Kyurem

Default Windows 10 is out now!

Windows 10 is now available and will be rolling out now.

Soon, you guys will probably get prompted to install the new Windows version.

If you're impatient, go here.

I'm running into "Something happened" here.
Old July 29, 2015, 10:29:36 AM
Haxorus

Thanks for the link, Twig! This will certainly be useful for those of us who keep getting the "Please wait..." screen when we open the "Get Windows 10" app.

To help me choose the right version of Windows 10, how do I know which version of Windows 8.1 I have? When I get info on my PC, all I get is "Windows 8.1" under the "Edition" section. Does that mean it's the Home edition?
Old July 29, 2015, 10:35:42 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiji J. Konokama View Post
Thanks for the link, Twig! This will certainly be useful for those of us who keep getting the "Please wait..." screen when we open the "Get Windows 10" app.

To help me choose the right version of Windows 10, how do I know which version of Windows 8.1 I have? When I get info on my PC, all I get is "Windows 8.1" under the "Edition" section. Does that mean it's the Home edition?
Just don't worry about it.

If you were using Windows 7 Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium or Windows 8.1, you want Windows 10 Home.

If you were using Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro, you want Windows 10 Pro.

And match the architecture if you want to not be forced to do a clean install.

I'd suggest using the option to create an ISO/USB installation media - the "upgrade now" option isn't the most reliable. The normal way didn't work on my laptop, but the burned DVD version did - and it'll support upgrading an existing Windows install without any problems, too.
Old July 29, 2015, 11:28:07 AM
Administrator

I think they goofed up with a small typo in the license terms. It says to visit http://aka.ms/ for the linked terms, but that leads to an Azure login screen for the Social eXperience Platform administration panel for their production server (sxpadmin-prod). Later in the terms is mentioned aka.ms/msa for the terms themselves, so I'm guessing they forgot to put the text after the domain name.

Click image for larger version

Name:	windows10termsgoof.png
Views:	1103
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	6767
Old July 29, 2015, 12:02:42 PM
Charizard

I WANT to update, but I keep hearing left and right about how invasive that the OS can be and that it's impossible to change it otherwise. That and I'm not sure how it'll affect the programs I currently have on my Windows 7 laptop.
Old July 29, 2015, 12:34:42 PM
Administrator

I've got Windows 10 on my desktop now. It's going to take some time getting used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondEdge View Post
I WANT to update, but I keep hearing left and right about how invasive that the OS can be and that it's impossible to change it otherwise. That and I'm not sure how it'll affect the programs I currently have on my Windows 7 laptop.
I highly suggest going through the custom setup (choose "Customize" instead of "Express") and going through the Settings app to fine-tune how private you want things to be. For instance, you'll want to disable Wi-Fi network password sharing, syncing passwords and browser settings, diagnostics, and pre-loading Web pages.

If you're not the kind of person who uses a Microsoft account, you can kill off that and Cortana as well.

You'll also want to review this and adjust settings so it aligns with your personal privacy tastes: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/priva...t/default.aspx

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 29, 2015 at 12:36:14 PM.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:36:33 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Just don't worry about it.

If you were using Windows 7 Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium or Windows 8.1, you want Windows 10 Home.

If you were using Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro, you want Windows 10 Pro.

And match the architecture if you want to not be forced to do a clean install.

I'd suggest using the option to create an ISO/USB installation media - the "upgrade now" option isn't the most reliable. The normal way didn't work on my laptop, but the burned DVD version did - and it'll support upgrading an existing Windows install without any problems, too.
Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Seiji J. Konokama; July 29, 2015 at 02:37:28 PM.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:39:57 PM
Zoroark

Hey I just had to refresh my laptop due to some issues, once I re download my updates can I still grab my copy?
Old July 30, 2015, 03:40:47 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEspeon25 View Post
Hey I just had to refresh my laptop due to some issues, once I re download my updates can I still grab my copy?
You should be able to. So long as you're not doing a clean install by booting from the installation media, it should be fine.
Old August 1, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
Administrator

I downgraded my desktop back to Windows 8.1 (which involved a fresh reinstallation and not a simple button in the Settings app). I had way too many little problems with Windows 10 to keep it on there until the problems get solved:
  • Audio playback was incredibly choppy, even with the correct drivers installed, both when playing locally and through Pandora.
  • My NVidia card did not function properly, acting like a mess. From what I read online, Microsoft pushed a beta driver rather than the latest stable one. Because of this, various games didn't work properly or at all.
  • This is minor for most folks, but 16-bit programs couldn't interface with MIDI devices.
  • The built-in Mail app sometimes refused to access one of my mailboxes (not always the same one).
  • Cortana isn't very useful yet. I tried roughly 200 queries, most of which being redirected to Bing, even when Bing correctly showed the information I wanted highlighted at the top of the page. It also enjoyed mixing up words and playing songs from my library.
I'll wait a few months to give it a shot. Gee, it reminds me a lot of the launches for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 1, 2015 at 10:18:11 PM.
Old August 1, 2015, 11:48:06 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I downgraded my desktop back to Windows 8.1 (which involved a fresh reinstallation and not a simple button in the Settings app). I had way too many little problems with Windows 10 to keep it on there until the problems get solved:
  • Audio playback was incredibly choppy, even with the correct drivers installed, both when playing locally and through Pandora.
  • My NVidia card did not function properly, acting like a mess. From what I read online, Microsoft pushed a beta driver rather than the latest stable one. Because of this, various games didn't work properly or at all.
  • This is minor for most folks, but 16-bit programs couldn't interface with MIDI devices.
  • The built-in Mail app sometimes refused to access one of my mailboxes (not always the same one).
  • Cortana isn't very useful yet. I tried roughly 200 queries, most of which being redirected to Bing, even when Bing correctly showed the information I wanted highlighted at the top of the page. It also enjoyed mixing up words and playing songs from my library.
I'll wait a few months to give it a shot. Gee, it reminds me a lot of the launches for Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Welcome to the early days of a new OS release! At least it's Windows, so expect things to stay supported even after a year.

Me? I think I'll wait for a bit longer until it's automatically offered. I reverted, too.

Last edited by Twiggy; August 1, 2015 at 11:48:14 PM.
Old August 4, 2015, 12:46:24 PM
Administrator

I've got a few things to share here.

First, do not fall for this malicious e-mail scam purporting to be from Microsoft. Rather than updating to Windows 10, it instead encrypts all your files:
http://blogs.cisco.com/security/talos/ctb-locker-win10

And for those wanting a complete list of places to check for privacy settings, this post is quite thorough:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...tect-yourself/
Old August 4, 2015, 01:52:02 PM
Keldeo

Still haven't updated, most people I know who have (have) been running into all sorts of different problems that I really don't feel like dealing with until they fix them. Remember the days when there was no such thing as patching your software, and if it didn't work when people started using it you were stuck with it?

That, plus it feels like a gargantuan waste of time because it took me two years to get used to 8 and I don't want to waste it.

Quote:
First, do not fall for this malicious e-mail scam purporting to be from Microsoft. Rather than updating to Windows 10, it instead encrypts all your files:
http://blogs.cisco.com/security/talos/ctb-locker-win10
"files and apps youĹ've installed" Of all the things they could have done to make it look legitimate.
Old August 6, 2015, 12:28:33 AM
Kyurem

Who would have thought that waiting for the upgrade to be offered by itself patiently without trying to skip the queue results in the best upgrade experience? I don't get any permission issues this time around, and my laptop is now on Windows 10 happily, after two OEM-recommended driver reinstallations.
Old August 6, 2015, 03:18:22 AM
Administrator

Meanwhile, my laptop has popped up several times offering to start the download. Nope, not on that machine yet.
Old August 6, 2015, 05:40:45 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Meanwhile, my laptop has popped up several times offering to start the download. Nope, not on that machine yet.
What's making you to not do that?

Me, I'm just rather happy that it indeed is (mostly) ready for prime time.

I do wonder about my future desktop... I think I'll go make a separate thread about it.
Old August 6, 2015, 01:48:49 PM
Administrator

Because my laptop is working well and I don't want to upgrade it yet. I'm going to wait for my step-Mom to upgrade one of those two-in-one machines (the flip variety) and report on her experiences before I reconsider it. The other option is to upgrade one of my lesser-used spare machines so I can try it out on something. One burden that annoys me is having to reinstall all the Windows 8.1 or 7 updates again if I happen to downgrade. I did that enough over the last week merely due to setting up new computers.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 6, 2015 at 01:49:01 PM.
Old August 6, 2015, 04:57:34 PM
Administrator

Not installing 10 yet on my main desktop, still keeping that on 7. Going to wait a month or two (or possibly a service pack release) to upgrade it when all the kinks are out.

I did upgrade 8.1 to 10 on my old HP laptop I mainly just use for web browsing. Beyond the world's most vague error which was fixed by manually setting the region, upgrade process went smoothly. Only problems I encountered so far is screen brightness controls stopped working (worked fine in 8, and setting it within the OS doesn't work either), and the scroll wheel on the touchpad doesn't seem to work in half the Windows menus. Beyond that though seems to run well. I certainly like it better than 8 not having to switch between multiple interfaces.
Old August 7, 2015, 02:47:43 AM
Kyurem

If anyone is worried about privacy issues in Windows 10 for whatever reason, here's an article to alleviate these concerns.

Sometimes, context and reading comprehension is everything. A lot of things either make perfect sense when you think about what it needs to do, or are the same old since Windows 8.0, or even before.

It's like Microsoft never gets to do all the things the "cool" companies are doing right now.
Old August 8, 2015, 09:07:53 PM
Mudkip

Not a huge fan of the newer Windows versions, so not upgrading to Windows 10. I'll keep my Windows 7.
Old August 12, 2015, 09:10:10 PM
Kyurem

There seems to be an interesting thing going on with telemetry and Windows 10 right now. http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-to-microsoft/

Bug or intentional? Who knows, but for the most part it doesn't seem to involve actual identifiable information. Still bad form since it's still doing something, and that's going to make some privacy nuts never shut up.
Old August 12, 2015, 11:12:30 PM
Administrator

The NCSI file is definitely nothing to worry about (I've seen it myself a few times when connecting to networks that redirect for login information, and it makes sense as how the OS can tell if you have a connection), but the others can be a little concerning.
Old August 13, 2015, 12:06:30 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
The NCSI file is definitely nothing to worry about (I've seen it myself a few times when connecting to networks that redirect for login information, and it makes sense as how the OS can tell if you have a connection), but the others can be a little concerning.
Mmm hmm. Now that it's publicized, I'm going to expect that things to be patched out sooner or later, if they want Windows 10 to be successful.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:22:29 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking that they should clean things up a bit and perhaps have a single "Privacy" screen where folks can choose which options they want on. Perhaps it could have a sub-screen with fine-tuning options. For instance, there could be a main switch to turn Cortana and the search bar off entirely, or you could delve into the advanced settings and turn off accessing contacts and messages but still allow anonymous telemetry and searches. Then, say, another screen for location data and another for advertising and personalization. I know these things exist, but they're all over the place and not in one consolidated location.

Hm, one of the first questions I remember during setting was being asked whose computer it was, i.e. whether it belonged to an individual or an enterprise. I wonder if the enterprise options set privacy settings differently.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 14, 2015 at 01:23:34 PM.
Old August 14, 2015, 01:43:11 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
If anyone is worried about privacy issues in Windows 10 for whatever reason, here's an article to alleviate these concerns.
Quote:
Cortana collects even more data for Microsoft, including a device’s location, calendar data, app usage, emails, text messages, and phone call history. It sure does. When you enable Cortana and opt-in to this behavior. By default, Cortana doesn’t do anything except search your PC and the web for information you request.
This seems to be coming around a lot lately. "Google/Apple/everything else is saving my information and selling it!" Yeah, because you clicked that little box that said "Yes" under the big feature list you didn't read. Don't want those things to happen? Pay attention to what you're signing up for, it's very easy.

Quote:
A new feature called Wi-Fi Sense actually shares your protected Wi-Fi passwords with your friends. No, it doesn’t. This feature, which actually debuted last year in Windows Phone 8.1, allows you to determine whether you want to share Wi-Fi login information with your contacts the first time you sign-in to that network only. You have to opt-in, and you can determine which friends from which accounts receive this information. They must be using Windows 10 (or Windows Phone 8.1). And the actual passwords are never in fact given to your friends; their devices just sign-in automatically.

Kirsten Fiedler of the European Digital Rights told the UK’s Mail that “Microsoft basically grants itself the right to collect and process everything you do, say and write on your device – which is contrary to the fundamental right to privacy.”
Sensationalism at its finest.

Last edited by Dragonite; August 14, 2015 at 01:48:13 PM.
Old August 14, 2015, 03:44:53 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
This seems to be coming around a lot lately. "Google/Apple/everything else is saving my information and selling it!" Yeah, because you clicked that little box that said "Yes" under the big feature list you didn't read. Don't want those things to happen? Pay attention to what you're signing up for, it's very easy.

Sensationalism at its finest.
Heh. Sometimes I think the Internet is prone to jumping to conclusions.

I'm not even sure if they are jumping to any conclusion and are just parroting incorrect information at times

Apparently Microsoft is using idle connections, so it must be uploading personal documents and reporting everything you're doing! Except that's not even happening until you give it the permission to do exactly that. And, no, Windows 10 doesn't open the webcam every now and then for no reason.
Old August 14, 2015, 07:53:36 PM
Keldeo

I think it's more like

"there are words in the New Features list I don't understand! MICROSOFT MUST BE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!"

I have had this conversation way too many times with multiple certain family members.
Old August 28, 2015, 02:46:42 AM
Administrator

Alright, time for round 2 with Windows 10. It's funny how every time I first try a new Windows operating system, I get disappointed and go back to the one I was using before. I didn't get much of a choice with XP or Vista (came with the systems), but 7, 8, and 8.1 were all downgraded back the first time I tried them. Well, I've put Windows 10 on my HTPC, and it seems to be mostly smooth. Here's how it went.

I had stuck Windows 8.1 on it originally to see how well it would run on an older machine (Athlon 6000+) with an SSD. When I came back to it a few weeks later, it froze during boot, then I rebooted to blue screen. I rebooted again and the bootloader was corrupted. After that, I pulled the DVD off the shelf and corrected it. Then I proceeded to run updates and lost the sound card. Can you guess what got corrupted again after rebooting? Yeah, the bootloader. I fixed it again from the DVD. But this time, the wireless card was gone instead of the sound card. When I tried to install it, it said the drivers were corrupted and couldn't be installed. I ran a quick tool from Microsoft's website. Rather than removing the offending driver, it removed the bootloader. This time, I decided to just reset the OS. Just take a wild guess what happened when it finished. Yep, that bootloader just didn't want to stay on that disk, but the reset still wiped all the updates and drivers. So after fixing it for the fourth time, I put the Windows 10 DVD in and upgraded the OS. While it got rid of the problem with the bootloader, I didn't want any residual problems to crop up later, so I activated it, rebooted from the DVD, wiped all the partitions off the SSD, performed a clean installation, and activated it again. Frankly, I was expecting the SSD to die.

After running updates for Windows 10, I noticed something funny: the computer was still incredibly choppy, and I was not being offered a graphics driver download. Instead, I downloaded the driver from NVidia's website and was informed that I did not have a graphics card installed. What? Then how was I seeing picture through that graphics card? Device manager told me something impossible: the PCI Express ports weren't functioning, and there were not enough resources to use them. After hop-skipping between the BIOS and the device manager at least a dozen times, I eventually discovered this post on Microsoft Answers (Most Helpful Answer). Apparently, I had to grant priority to the PCI slots (which is where the wireless card was) over the PCI Express slots for graphics cards then force-disable PCI Express within Windows. It made absolutely no sense, and I still don't know how I managed to get a resource conflict, especially when for the years that 7 was on there, it worked fine. On the other hand, it doesn't try to reinstall the wireless card every other time I reboot, which it did on any OS before changing that setting. There were about 160 of them installed by the time I replaced it with 8.1.

(The last time I've seen a resource conflict was a couple years ago when USB 3.0 was new. If I plugged in a compatible device, the wireless card in my laptop would have interrupt issues and fail.)

Also, the operating system is only 7 GB, but it might've installed a compressed OS because I used a 32 GB SSD. Pity, because there wouldn't be much of anything else on the drive. I've got a hard drive in it for media.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 28, 2015 at 01:12:48 PM.
Old August 13, 2016, 07:40:11 PM
Administrator

Angry

Okay, I can safely say that I enjoy Windows 10 and think it is a fine operating system today, with one glowing exception.

I CAN'T TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES.

I absolutely hate that. I'm tired of updates installing while I'm using my machine. It always seems like an update installs that makes my sound card disappear, causes menu bars to flicker in and out, results in windows' colors getting screwed up, makes programs no longer open, breaks all the Windows 10/"Metro" apps, hides an entire hard drive from the system, or causes a Blue Screen of Death when I have an obscure piece of hardware connected. These are all problems that get resolved when rebooting the machine.

Heaven forbid the graphics driver receive an update, then anything using it will crash and refuse to work until I restart the computer. I have an HTPC and gaming computer that gets used infrequently. That's bad because every time I use it (seriously, not an exaggeration), some software will freeze or crash soon after connecting it to the Internet. I've had Kodi (XBMC) crash during a movie, only for it to lock up entirely when trying to close it, and I've had games crash when the graphics driver wants to update itself.

Sure, I could set my machine to a metered connection, but then I would never get updates, which is bad as well. Also, OneDrive would stop working.

Microsoft, please bring back the option to notify me of updates but not download them until I say so.
Old August 14, 2016, 08:56:38 AM
Keldeo

Still haven't updated (since I've had the automatic updates on 8 turned off for about two years now), and it's looking more and more like I'm just going to try and skip this iteration.

Fingers crossed that Windows Eleven will be less of . . . this. Although it looks like Microsoft's been making plenty of money so I doubt they'd have any reason to change :P
Old August 15, 2016, 01:41:54 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
I CAN'T TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES.
You can forcefully turn off the entire update process by disabling it in services.msc. Terrible workaround though. We had to throttle PCs at work; as we only have about 6Mbps for 12+ people if one pc starts downloading updates everyone else's connection starts timing out and we can't even ping google. Fun stuff.
Old August 15, 2016, 02:37:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashArmy View Post
You can forcefully turn off the entire update process by disabling it in services.msc. Terrible workaround though. We had to throttle PCs at work; as we only have about 6Mbps for 12+ people if one pc starts downloading updates everyone else's connection starts timing out and we can't even ping google. Fun stuff.
Oh, thank goodness. But I don't really want to fully disable updates. I just want them done on my watch. Plus, I have a few machines that would be prime candidates for receiving updates at shutdown but not during normal operation.
Old August 16, 2016, 01:57:55 AM
Administrator

I decided to fire up my retired HTPC to get give it some updates, one of them being the huge 1511 update from last autumn. Guess what I had to do again:
Quote:
After running updates for Windows 10, I noticed something funny: the computer was still incredibly choppy, and I was not being offered a graphics driver download. Instead, I downloaded the driver from NVidia's website and was informed that I did not have a graphics card installed. What? Then how was I seeing picture through that graphics card? Device manager told me something impossible: the PCI Express ports weren't functioning, and there were not enough resources to use them. After hop-skipping between the BIOS and the device manager at least a dozen times, I eventually discovered this post on Microsoft Answers (Most Helpful Answer). Apparently, I had to grant priority to the PCI slots (which is where the wireless card was) over the PCI Express slots for graphics cards then force-disable PCI Express within Windows. It made absolutely no sense, and I still don't know how I managed to get a resource conflict, especially when for the years that 7 was on there, it worked fine. On the other hand, it doesn't try to reinstall the wireless card every other time I reboot, which it did on any OS before changing that setting. There were about 160 of them installed by the time I replaced it with 8.1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).png
Views:	524
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	6877  
Old August 16, 2016, 11:31:35 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashArmy View Post
I . . . what . . . that's like removing the Power button so that the only way to turn it on is to take the computer apart and spin a magnet over the wires dangling out of the power supply. You call yourselves professionals, Microsoft?

Last edited by Dragonite; August 16, 2016 at 11:32:09 AM.
Old September 29, 2016, 06:21:13 PM
Administrator

I think I have FINALLY quelled the automatic updates on Windows 10 Pro.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Set the group policy to "Notify for download and notify for install" and you'll be able to choose when to install them. Do not select the one that lets you choose what setting you like; it doesn't work.