Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 6, 2012, 11:09:49 PM
Regigigas

Default No, it's not that bad. Yes, you're overreacting.

So, there's this website out there called Youtube, and only a couple days ago, they changed up almost everything about its entire interface. This apparently comes across as an unwelcome surprise to everyone who happens to lay eyes on it.

To those who fall under this group of individuals, and you know who you are, let me level with you for a moment.

Spoiler Alert:    

Get.
The ****.
Over yourselves.

See, I think the major problem with these guys overhauling their system with you guys is the fact that they changed anything at all.

5 Star Ratings are useless when everyone tries to support their subscriptions with 5s and knocks everything else with 0s.
The way the channels used to look were a mess. Yes. It's hard to know where to find some info about a channel when every single channel puts it in a different place, and some people don't even put it anywhere.
Friend requests were utterly pointless.
I want to watch what my subscribed channel put up today, not a summary of the four most recent channels they've put up at all plus a list of recommended videos that I don't really want to see where I SHOULD be seeing more sub videos.

It takes two extra clicks to give me the simple list of sub videos, but guess what? Once I've finished watching one, I can click on a little menu to the left and move right on to another one! HOW 'BOUT DAT.

At this point, I'm convinced that you didn't even take time to focus on what was improved in this system because any attempt at moving forward seems to make them look worse in your eyes.

P.S. Google will take "feedback" from you complaining about the whole thing and begging for it to be reverted back to how it was with a grain of salt, and I'm starting to do the same.

Last edited by SyracuvatTenlii; December 6, 2012 at 11:10:37 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:06:16 AM

I think the only reason I'm not overreacting is because I'm used to YouTube making horrible layout changes. Then again, this change isn't so bad; it just seems more efficient.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:44:54 AM
Volcarona

I gave up on trying to tell YouTube to revert the design years ago. They never listen. I'd rather see the return of tags and related videos.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:39:20 AM
Rayquaza

The point is though the new lay out is overly complex and straight forward or simple, according to Youtube simple or straight forward isn't in there vocabulary.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:43:56 AM
Kyurem

Hey, the only problem I have with it is that they've tried to make the comment system like a crappy social network.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:40:07 AM
Haxorus

Although the one before had it's flaws I would rather have it back!
Old December 7, 2012, 07:25:26 AM
Haxorus

You're right, it's not the new layout that irritates me.
What irritates me is the fact that YouTube is making you close your original account and use your first and last name as your username. This happened to me in September; I logged on to YouTube at school, and when I came back home, my "alternateshadow300" account was closed without notification. No, not suspended, not terminated, just closed. They had replaced it with my Google Plus account, which I don't want to use.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:59:33 AM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternateshadow300 View Post
You're right, it's not the new layout that irritates me.
What irritates me is the fact that YouTube is making you close your original account and use your first and last name as your username. This happened to me in September; I logged on to YouTube at school, and when I came back home, my "alternateshadow300" account was closed without notification. No, not suspended, not terminated, just closed. They had replaced it with my Google Plus account, which I don't want to use.
I have a G+ and non-full name YouTube channel on the same Google account...

And I'll admit: I hate the new layout, but I'm not gonna go around telling people who like it to stop liking it or anything.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:44:00 AM

It's hard for me to look at the positives when all the negatives are screaming in my face. The worst part for me is that we just got a new layout not that long ago, and changing it...AGAIN...just seems unneccessary. I don't like it when we are forced into a change. I'd feel a lot better if we would at least be given the option to choose what layout we use.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:50:05 AM
Rayquaza

Maybe they figured people would stop trolling each other in the comment section if they knew stuff about the other person such as what they freaking look like.

Would like to remind you guys that Google+ does suck by the way.

Last edited by Magmaster12; December 7, 2012 at 09:50:37 AM.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:11:50 AM
Rayquaza

I don't have a channel, but I am a daily viewer. I actually like the new layout and I find it simple, with everything I have subscribed to is updated neatly. However, I hate the ones that Youtube recommends for me certain videos that I actually don't care about, and I hate how by default, they put a list of whom you subscribed to have done recently; likes and comments. They should have a list of the uploaded videos as default and the other one per choice. It gets irritating when you check Youtube regularly.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:19:45 AM
Landorus

It was pretty confusing for me at first, naturally, and though the new placement of some things confuses me as to the purpose of why it was moved in the first place, once you know where everything is it isn't too bad. Not having the subscriptions on the front page is a little weird, too, especially as the "what to watch" for me seems to mainly consist of things the ones I'm subscribed to uploaded nearly a week ago, but it really doesn't hurt me to click a few times more than I used to. It's just one of those things that you have to try and get used to; give it a week or two and I bet you won't even clearly remember what the old layout looked like. At least, that's usually the case for me.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:30:04 AM

I'm all for minimalism so the layout right now is great. Looks kind of like it did in 2007 (back when I made nothing but pokemon amvs ), but more cleaned up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuvatTenlii View Post
Spoiler Alert:    

Get.
The ****.
Over yourselves.
I think you're overreacting to people overreacting
Old December 7, 2012, 10:35:18 AM
Administrator

Do we seriously need another thread because people complain about this crap this much?

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_w...acebook_layout
Old December 7, 2012, 11:16:18 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio
I think you're overreacting to people overreacting
I made one thread. Everyone else won't stop spamming comments sections of everything ever about it. I don't think I've hit the overreacting point just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
Do we seriously need another thread because people complain about this crap this much?

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_w...acebook_layout
Nobody else seems to be shutting up about it yet, why should I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12
Would like to remind you guys that Google+ does suck by the way.
Can I let you in on a secret?    
Google+ has a better design and interface than Facebook, and 80%+ (no pun intended) say otherwise because they won't let go of their precious social network. 
Heard of MySpace?
I'm waiting for the critical failure that gets people to mass exodus Facebook, because it's going to happen.
Only reason it hasn't happened to Youtube is because people have yet to make quite as good of a video sharing website. Not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't yet.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:38:16 AM
Zoroark

If everyone dislikes the new layout that bad, stop using Youtube.

Spoiler Alert:    
You won't.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:14:14 PM
Giratina

It's just a change. Changes happen all the time. Including in yourself. So just get over it, people who have a problem with it. If you don't like it so much, then protest YouTube by refusing to use it ever again, except that you won't because you like it so much. I personally like the new layout, it's smooth and I think they touched up on video controls, they work better to me.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:49:44 PM
Giratina

I don't mind the new layout. As a matter of fact, I'd go out on a limb and say the new layout is nearly identical to the old one, but with a slightly different look and everything has been shrunk. Also, Subscriptions -> Uploads Only then I see how many videos I need to catch up on with my subscriptions. I know that there was a similar feature in the old design, but now it seems more manageable and less in-you-face about it.

Also, Watch History on the front page - yes.
Now I wait for two weeks so people will stop complaining about the new layouts. It happens literally every time a new layout is released.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:08:54 PM
Haxorus

Frankly, I like the new layout. I like how organized it is. I don't know what YouTube would be today without changes and new features, considering people, including myself, can get bored of the same crap every time they come on. As time goes on, things change, and whether these people like it or not, granted there are TONS of people out there who LOVE the new content, and they should not be forced to succumb to the people who dislike the new content.

Now, would it be great if YouTube made these optional? Of course. Should they have to do it though? In my opinion, no, it's their site, they're the ones going out of there way to make it available to the public.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:15:11 PM
Giratina

All this talk about the new layouts and previous layouts has given me the idea to take screen-shots of all new YT homepage layouts when they are released. This will help give comparisons of the YT homepage so people can't spew nonsense about how the newer layout is, for some strange reason, worse than the old layout.

It's not like YT can stick with one layout forever. We wouldn't want the layout to still look like this, with every bit of info shoved into a viewer's face, most of the info isn't even relevant to a viewer's interest anyway.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:02:52 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
It's not like YT can stick with one layout forever. We wouldn't want the layout to still look like this, with every bit of info shoved into a viewer's face, most of the info isn't even relevant to a viewer's interest anyway.
Looking back on that, I don't really like the way that was organized. I mean, I'm getting nostalgia from the first time I used YouTube and how I thought it was huge and full of everything (Now it's pretty void of what I'm exactly looking for) and how my first video was Michael Jackson's Thriller... ah... but what's with the details at the right? That's so akweird. The only thing I really miss is the separation of related videos and videos from the user.

... Oh lookie what I found. Think this'll satisfy some people?
Old December 8, 2012, 06:28:35 AM
Linoone

I actually like this new theme change for YouTube. Makes it nicer.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:19:39 AM
Kyurem

Finally, YouTube actually looks modern and not out of place. Oh, and much better performance in IE10, so all the better. I wouldn't revert this.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:58:48 AM
Landorus

*me on tumblr*
EVERYONE: BLUH I HATE THE NEW YOUTUBE LAYOUT irughflkxj
ME: Guys
I like the new Youtube layout
But time for a plot twist.
What if this is Actually the old Youtube Layout

Last edited by 7dewott8; December 8, 2012 at 08:59:17 AM.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:57:53 AM
Giratina

Just found a picture of the previous layout of YT, take a look.
As a comparison, this is the new layout.
Notice the similarities? It has almost the same things on the homepage, except it's been rearranged and shrunk a bit with the exception of the videos, which have become the center of attention, rather than non-uploading activities of your subscriptions. Also, there's only a few recommended videos which could actually peak your interest, rather than a bazillion recommended videos that shared the same video tags as your subscriptions and have little to do with your interests.

The only big change that I found that wasn't just a rearrange was the fact that there is no option to see more videos from a certain user unless you click on a video from the "Browse Videos" tab from their channel. They did fix the annoying issue of not being able to see older videos of whatever video you were watching when you click "More Videos" while viewing a video.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:10:00 AM
Mudkip

I don't really like how they have done to main site because it just keeps reverting back to "all subscriber's activity" instead of just keeping it to "uploads only" by default.

I have really gotten used to the new video page though. Makes it much cleaner and well, less is sometimes more!
Old December 12, 2012, 12:15:10 AM
Volcarona

I love the guide on the left-side of the page, honestly. It makes it easier to get to subscription videos I find instead of having to go to the main page... again... and again.. and again. I wish the mid-section of the main page were wider so it didn't have that awkward left-side look to it. My only real complaint is how they removed the video page banners from Youtube Partners. Seems silly to some people, but to think they took something away from partners just seems... a little unsettling at least. Oh, and the subscriptions on the main page is annoying to get to as it doesn't save any sort of settings. So EVERY time you go to the main page to view new sub updates, you'll be clicking "My Subscriptions" and then the "Uploads Only" tab... every time... rather annoying. One last thing, I dislike how they use the Gmail icons at the top of the page now instead of your Youtube icons which were larger as well... just simple cosmetic things like that are not too appealing for some people like me I suppose. Most of this new layout functions okay otherwise, besides these few distasteful things.