Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 18, 2011, 09:17:03 PM
Volcarona

Default Donkey Kong, a Mario character or a Nintendo character of his own?

I've been thinking about this question for a month on debating if Donkey Kong is a Mario character or not. I know his first game was Donkey Kong where you play as Mario and save the princess by jumping over barrels. But, I'm debating on if he's a Nintendo character on his own. Since we had Donkey Kong Country Returns, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Donkey Konga. He dosen't feel like a Mario character. But, when he's been in every sport Mario has been through I kinda doubt the fact he's a character on his own. Same goes for Smash Brothers. since Mario's symbol is a mushroom and Donkey Kong's symbol is DK. Meaning they're different. Sure Yoshi had an egg for his symbol on SSB ,but I can also talk on how many games Yoshi has been on his own or in a Mario game just as much, Yoshi seems more like a Mario character since all of his game mention Mario in some way. So, I want to people's thoughts on if they think DK is a Mario character or a Nintendo character different then Mario. Discuss.
Old April 19, 2011, 03:03:11 PM
Shaymin

He's a Mario character with his own spin-off series, as are Yoshi, Luigi, Wario, and Peach. Each of these named characters has had their own spin-off titles or games or franchises. That doesn't make them characters unique to their own franchise. That would be like saying that Link isn't a Zelda character because his name's not in the title.