Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White 2

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 14, 2012, 10:15:27 PM
Regigigas

Default Changes to the Metagame?

In terms of changes they could make to the metagame, there are a variety of possibilities to consider. The first and foremost would obviously be new Pokemon, of which (to our knowledge) there are only two of: Black Kyurem ad White Kyurem. Whilst their stats and abilities have not yet been released, it seems Black Kyurem is very powerful physically, as would be assumed of a Pokemon that seems to derive from ekrom. In the Reshiram VS Black Kyurem battle on Pokemon Smash, a single Freee Shock was enough to OHKO a Reshiram of the same level. While it does receive STAB and Reshiram;s Physical stats are obviously tower than its special, this may suggest that Black Kyurem's stats may be HIGHER than ekrom's. In terms of the aforementioned unknown ability, when Kyurem attaches it's tail to it's wings via the "wires" of energy seen in their sprites, Ash refers to it as "Overdrive", which may provide evidence of a new ability as well. That aside, Keldeo and Meloetta, due to their revelations and distributions, will also be legal on Wi-Fi as of now. The most probably and influential change with BW2 to the metagame would be in terms of move distributions, in my opinion, Just like with Platinum, the developers and programmers have the opportunity to give Pokemon moves they did not previously have access to, either by tweaking their level-up moves, or introducing more Move Tutors. It is very possible that a mere move or two may alter a Pokemon's tier due to their usability. For instance, if Regirock were to obtain Head Smash, and a reliable recovery move, it may become more prevalent. Relicanth obtaining the same move (along with its ability Rock Head) moved it up in both tier and prevalence due to the synergy of the two, and as a result this obviously presents a possibility.

That aside, what are your thoughts on how the Metagame will change?
Old April 15, 2012, 01:54:27 AM
Rayquaza

The two Kyurem forms are interesting, but also hard to predict. Originally, I though their types would be Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric, but instead, they remained as Ice/Dragon. Now this type offers few resistances, while its weaknesses remained as Dragon, Fight, Rock and Steel. All of those are extremely common in the OU tier, unless you want to exclude Rock. Nevertheless, the fact that these two are in danger of Bullet Punch and Mach Punch remains devastating. The Uber tier is also filled with fast Dragons, so unless these two forms don't have the speed of Kyurem, they might suffer as well. The presence of Stealth Rock doesn't help them as well.

To make it clear, their stats should be as high as Zekrom and Reshiram or probably higher. This, on its own, can out both forms in the Uber tier. Nevertheless, I doubt they would succeed as much with many bulky Steels roaming around, armed with Stone Edge, and sometimes Bullet Punch.
Old April 15, 2012, 03:51:16 AM
Giratina

If their stats really as high as I think, that alone will send them to the Ubers tier. I mean, Garchomp got in because it had moderately high attack and moderately high speed. If Black Kyurem can OHKO Reshiram of the same level, that suggests maybe Black and White Kyurem will have ridiculously high attack and special attack (respectively), but possibly fall short in something else (most likely speed).

But judging by how Smogon rates the tiers, if they don't put the Kyurems in Uber immediately, they'll put them both there within a week or two.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:44:09 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
If their stats really as high as I think, that alone will send them to the Ubers tier. I mean, Garchomp got in because it had moderately high attack and moderately high speed. If Black Kyurem can OHKO Reshiram of the same level, that suggests maybe Black and White Kyurem will have ridiculously high attack and special attack (respectively), but possibly fall short in something else (most likely speed).

But judging by how Smogon rates the tiers, if they don't put the Kyurems in Uber immediately, they'll put them both there within a week or two.
If they don't lack in speed, they would be dangerous sweepers. They should make them weak defensively. But again, it leaves them vulnerable to priority moves.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:58:44 AM
Giratina

I say throw the Kyurem's in Uber, just not the Regular Kyurem. They seem to be overpowered and would make a great addition to the Uber Tier.

But Keldeo and Meloetta..

Well Keldeo is great offensively in both ends and seems to have a respectable defensive stats too. Really what Keldeo is a Water typed special attack stat'd Terrakion! Though you can set a Calm Mind set, its possible to make a Swords Dance set. Though I think it would be outclassed by Terrakion, it works the same way and even has justified. Calm mind is the better option though as with 2x Sp. A, it matches the 4x Atk that Swords Dance would give if given the right EVs. So I think it would make a good edition to... UU?

Meloetta has an odd typing of Normal Fighting or Normal Psychic. Eh im too tired to write... I think its gonna be in OU. Its stats are amazing! Besides for the Physical stats its amazing. I think the Pirouette form will be the more popular one. It has more of a sweeping potential.
Old April 15, 2012, 08:13:35 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
I say throw the Kyurem's in Uber, just not the Regular Kyurem. They seem to be overpowered and would make a great addition to the Uber Tier.

But Keldeo and Meloetta..

Well Keldeo is great offensively in both ends and seems to have a respectable defensive stats too. Really what Keldeo is a Water typed special attack stat'd Terrakion! Though you can set a Calm Mind set, its possible to make a Swords Dance set. Though I think it would be outclassed by Terrakion, it works the same way and even has justified. Calm mind is the better option though as with 2x Sp. A, it matches the 4x Atk that Swords Dance would give if given the right EVs. So I think it would make a good edition to... UU?

Meloetta has an odd typing of Normal Fighting or Normal Psychic. Eh im too tired to write... I think its gonna be in OU. Its stats are amazing! Besides for the Physical stats its amazing. I think the Pirouette form will be the more popular one. It has more of a sweeping potential.
Hmm... I never looked at these two, but since you mentioned them, I am going to analyze them right now.

Keldeo

A very good Special Attack and good Speed. His HP and Defenses are moderately good, while his Attack is acceptable, although negligible compared to his Special Attack. Special sets would dominate this Pokémon, although physical ones could be used for a surprise attack, yet won't be as effective. Judging from its stats alone, it can be put in the OU tier.

Now that I am looking at its moves set, it is not right to consider it UU at all. This Pokémon makes an excellent special sweeper in both OU and Uber tiers. Calm Mind, Hydro Pump/Surf, Focus Blast and Substitute can make wonders. It can also use Hidden Power Ice or Electric instead of Substitute. Keldeo can also use a mixed set, with Aqua Jet for priority, Close Combat or Stone Edge. This horse is incredible, especially that it carries two of the most superior STABs: Water, the most offensive special type, and Fighting, the most offensive physical type.

My final rating to Keldo is definitely OU, and an excellent partner with Kyogre in Uber.

I will write about Meleotta later on.
Old April 15, 2012, 09:40:53 AM
Giratina

Wait does anyone think that Genescect is gonna be released?
Old April 15, 2012, 11:21:01 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Wait does anyone think that Genescect is gonna be released?
Of course it's going to be released. It's just a matter of time until it is.
Old April 15, 2012, 12:44:20 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Of course it's going to be released. It's just a matter of time until it is.
DDDEEEEEEEEENNNNNNIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS! (I don't think anyone gets that joke)

Well. I feel Genescect to be a menecing OU/Uber sweeper. Good stats aside from its mediocre HP. 120 sweeping stats are PHENOMENAL. It only has 1 weakness which is sadly a 4x Fire weakness but I'm sure thats not TOO big of a problem. Its 95 defensive stats are capable of walling or dual screening or whatever. It gets a STAB on many useful moves including U-Turn. and if you really want; TECHNOOOOO BUSTER!! The drives and yeah I think you guys know
Old April 15, 2012, 02:07:06 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
DDDEEEEEEEEENNNNNNIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS! (I don't think anyone gets that joke)

Well. I feel Genescect to be a menecing OU/Uber sweeper. Good stats aside from its mediocre HP. 120 sweeping stats are PHENOMENAL. It only has 1 weakness which is sadly a 4x Fire weakness but I'm sure thats not TOO big of a problem. Its 95 defensive stats are capable of walling or dual screening or whatever. It gets a STAB on many useful moves including U-Turn. and if you really want; TECHNOOOOO BUSTER!! The drives and yeah I think you guys know
The reference is to Ghetsis' battle theme, everyone thinks it sounds like the choir in the background chants "Dennis", which may be his "real" name. Though I've heard they're actually chanting "penance", which makes sense.

Anyway, given that Keldeo unlocks something in BW2, I imagine they'll be adding something extra for Genesect as well, for when they decide to reveal it and promote in full swing. That being said, its Techno Buster is a total anomaly, it doesn't even get STAB off of the thing, and has better Special Alternatives in the form of Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower for three of the four decent types Techno Buster can be. I don't know what they were thinking when they created the move, maybe they'll change it up for BW2 (or hopefully, anyway. They're not ignorant of the metagame in its entirety, I'm sure they know it's a crippling signature move overall). That being said, I've run into some on PO before, mainly as leads. Downlad makes them very dangerous as sweepers, and though I haven't seen many mixed Attackers, with its stats, it definitely has the potential (though its movepool still leans towards the Special side a bit). Its 99 Base Speed lets it outspeed Hydreigon by one point, which is worthy of note, but there are many OU Pokemon that outspeed it, leaving it in a bit of an awkward position. A solid 71//95/95 Defensive spread makes it able to take some hits, so Fire-type moves will be largely relied on to take the thing out unless someone has a wallbreaker handy. (On a side note, that extra single stat in HP going towards its Speed stat may have been a better idea, since the base stats for Speed are more absolutely indicative of a Pokemon's potential than its HP, aside from walling, which Genesect was by no means designed to do.) Pokemon like Infernape would be devastating to it, though whether their prevalence will increase after Genesect's release is totally hypothetical as of now. I think it'll be a popular choice, but only a handful of people will be able to successfully integrate it into their teams and make it part of a synergy, which will ultimately be the best possible way to use it, like most, if not all other Pokemon.

Last edited by AuraKshatriya; April 15, 2012 at 02:09:08 PM.