Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 23, 2012, 12:00:19 AM
Rayquaza

Default Community Service

This topic is popular in the American curriculum, since schools and probably colleges too, ask their students to have a certain number of hours dedicated to community service. Thus, most of you should be familiar with it.

In my case, this is the first time I have done this, as I joined the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. It took me a lot of time to decide on what I should do, so I thought it would be interesting to discuss what you did, are doing, will do or would do as community service.

So far, I have helped younger kids who are weak in English Language to improve and I am planning to help in the library. What about you?
Old November 24, 2012, 08:34:19 PM
Volcarona

I start performing community service in 9th grade by joining student council. I done volunteering at Feed my Starving Children and also clean the neighborhood. I dropped out of student council since juggling with National Honors Society is too much with me. I can't keep up with the hours and the requirements are ridiculous.

Every year, the school perform "Holiday Basket" where the school collects money and food from each classroom. We put food to make up a meal for a family in our local community. We also did contests in school where the best door decoration wins a pizza party and bragging rights. This is one of my favorite events in my high school.

After joining National Honors Society, I volunteered at my tennis lessons, Walk to Cure Diabetes, the yearly breakfast for former Roosevelt students, and many things. I started to help caring the daycare at my school for teen moms at 11th grade. Since I am a program that helps me get ready for college, I have to collect food from many neighborhoods with my friends.

Right now, I don't do as much community service as in high school since I have more things on my plate. I am currently in a mentoring program where I exchange letters with a middle school student once a week.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:56:24 PM
Shaymin

All of last summer when I wasn't at my sister's softball games, on VR, or in The Sun I was dedicating my time at the local library. They are REALLY low on funding and have a lot of visitors. The state refuses to give them any more money, so they asked for volunteers to help them with some new things they received. They got a new coding and filing system that will do a lot of paperwork for them, so they wanted someone to help them with it for the summer so they could get other things done around. I said I would do it, and It wasn't that hard. I had to install the software and stuff and create profiles and new IDs for all the library-members (or whatever). That took a few weeks... BUT It was SO easy to get the rest of the organizing and setting up done after that. They got a lot of work done because they didn't have to worry about they system and I did a good thing.
Old November 25, 2012, 05:08:08 AM
Rayquaza

I went to a trade school and pretty much every trade in school involves preforming some sort of service for the school, I took Culinary and my shop made about 200$ a week.

I also helped out at my school during thanksgiving.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:22:20 PM
Mudkip

I used to be officer of two community service clubs back in my high school. One of them is National Honor Society and Interact.

We basically volunteer at many events such as walks, run, giving food to the need, giving gifts for Christmas, going to Christmas in the Park and sing carols and collect money, picking up garbage, weeding and I even ran an after school class in my spare time.

Oh how much I miss high school...