Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Battling and Trading Archive > Rate My Team
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 16, 2010, 01:14:14 AM
Rayquaza

Default The Future of HeartGold!

~Introduction~
This is my first team I post here in order for it to be rated. Just as a reminder, this is an in-game team, therefore, I won't post EV, however, natures will be posted.

Pokemon 1

Electivire
Mild (+Sp. Atk / -Def)

~Thunderbolt
~Ice Punch
~Flamethrower
~Brick Break

Thunderbolt is the main STAB. It is a threat to many GYM leaders and will get boosted with the nature I chose. I decided to choose Ice Punch to cover its main weakness; ground type Pokemon, and to increase Electivire's threat to other GYM leaders as well. Some people might tell me to change it to Hidden Power Grass, but this move won't be able to cover many GYM leaders, unlike the ice type moves. Flamethrower is a very good move. I wanted to run here Earthquake but I found Flamethrower better and more superior. Brick Break is a powerful fighting move that threatens Rock and Steel and can break dual screens. For people who are going to ask me about how I will get Electivire wihout the national dex; I will use Elecabuzz until I get the national dex.

Pokemon 2

Tangrowth
Relaxed(+Def / -Speed)

~Energy Ball
~Earthquake
~Ancient Power
~Strength

Energy Ball is a good STAB and is boosted by the very good Sp. Atk stat of Tangroth. Earthquake covers the weakness of fire and poison while Ancient Power covers the weakness of bug, ice, flying and fire as well. I couldn't find a better move than Strength as I already covered all the weaknesses. Also, I really hate using status inducing moves in an in-game team.

Pokemon 3

Crobat
Jolly (+Speed / -Sp. Atk)

~Cross Poison
~Fly
~Faint Attack
~X-Scissor

Cross Poison and Fly are the main two STAB. X-Scissor and Faint Attack cover all the weaknesses perfectly. I might change Fly to Sky Attack later if I find another Pokemon to use Fly.

Pokemon 4

Vaporeon
Modest (+Sp. Atk / -Atk)

~Surf
~Ice Beam
~Signal Beam
~Whirlpool

Surf is a perfect STAB and along Ice Beam, many GYM leaders will be in danger. Signal Beam is for type coverage. Again, I didn't know what to put here and I hate status inducing moves so I put Whirlpool.

Pokemon 5

Scizor
Adamant (+Atk / -Sp. Atk)

~Bullet Punch
~Bug Bite
~Pursuit
~Rock Smash

These moves are so perfect, and along with Technician, they all will get boosted and none of them will be considered as weak.

Pokemon 6

Machamp
Adamant (+Atk / -Sp. Atk)

~Thunder Punch
~Earthquake
~Payback
~Dynamic Punch

Thunder Punch is to get rid of birds and other flying type Pokemon. Earthquake is for type coverage. Payback is to hit ghost and psychics, and with Machamp's low speed, Payback will get doubled and will become 100! Dynamic Punch is the main STAB, and with Machamp's ability, its accuracy will be 100. However, I am afraid that its PP is low, so what do you think? Do I change it to Brick Break?

This is my team. Hope you like it and rate.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:13:25 AM
Giratina

Your team is well-built, but I have some comments on Machamp:

Why is it that you chose ThunderPunch instead of Ice Punch? They both hit Flying Pokémon.

@ DynamicPunch: If you're afraid of the PP, apply 3 PP Ups. It's always a better option than Brick Break, since it has massive power and 100% accuracy (With 'No Guard' ability). Not to mention the assured confusion of your opponent's Pokémon.

Plus, you have 2x weaknesses to Ice, Electric, Psychic and Flying, each threatening 2 Pokémon of yours. You should be alert about that.

Last edited by Shadow; January 16, 2010 at 02:20:45 AM.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:36:35 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Your team is well-built, but I have some comments on Machamp:

Why is it that you chose ThunderPunch instead of Ice Punch? They both hit Flying Pokémon.

@ DynamicPunch: If you're afraid of the PP, apply 3 PP Ups. It's always a better option than Brick Break, since it has massive power and 100% accuracy (With 'No Guard' ability). Not to mention the assured confusion of your opponent's Pokémon.

Plus, you have 2x weaknesses to Ice, Electric, Psychic and Flying, each threatening 2 Pokémon of yours. You should be alert about that.
I already have 2 ice moves, so I will use Thunder Punch to have a second electric move along with Thunderbolt.
Thanks for the Dynamic Punch thing, and be sure that I will use it.
Regarding the weaknesses, I tried my best to cover them and hopefully, my Pokemon will be good.
Thanks after all.
Old January 16, 2010, 03:45:41 AM
Rayquaza

If you don't have a lot of ice moves your asking for trouble with Lance and the battle with red if you don't have an ice type because it's hailing during the battle.
Old January 16, 2010, 04:01:07 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
If you don't have a lot of ice moves your asking for trouble with Lance and the battle with red if you don't have an ice type because it's hailing during the battle.
I am not afraid of Lance that much, but I might change Thunder Punch to Ice Punch though. I didn't decide yet. Regarding the hail stall, I just don't care much, especially that Red's team is going to be affected as well.
Old January 18, 2010, 01:12:56 PM
Joltik

Zapdos would enjoy your team. However, Machamp is sturdy enough to absorb Drill Peck and KO Zapdos, but it's a scary situation to say the least.
Old January 20, 2010, 05:33:22 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadra View Post
Zapdos would enjoy your team. However, Machamp is sturdy enough to absorb Drill Peck and KO Zapdos, but it's a scary situation to say the least.
I doubt it. My Tangrowth can knock Zapdos out with Ancient Power. Electivire is useful with Ice Punch and just as you said, Machamp is good as well. Don't worry, everything has its own resistance.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:36:23 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
My Tangrowth can knock Zapdos out with Ancient Power
You must be dreaming, because Heat Wave on Zapdos would choke Tangrowth to death before you even realize it. Here's some simple formula to prove it:

High Sp.A + Speed, EVs = Sp.A/Spe (most common) + Tangrowth's horrible Sp.D = OHKO.

Quote:
Electivire is useful with Ice Punch and just as you said, Machamp is good as well.
Both are slower than Zapdos. However, Electivire might stand a chance against Zapdos due its ability + mediocre defenses.
On the other hand, since Zapdos sports powerful Flying STAB attacks + Sky-high Sp.A + Super effective damage on Machamp, the latter wouldn't survive.

Last edited by Shadow; January 20, 2010 at 09:38:13 AM.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:21:17 AM
Rayquaza

@ Shadow: This is an in-game team, and I won't find a Zapdos with Heat Wave in the game, will I? The only Zapdos is the wild one and the one in the battle frontier. So I am not afraid of Zapdos which is very very uncommon in the game.
Old January 22, 2010, 07:19:55 PM
Joltik

Quote:
@ Shadow: This is an in-game team, and I won't find a Zapdos with Heat Wave in the game, will I? The only Zapdos is the wild one and the one in the battle frontier. So I am not afraid of Zapdos which is very very uncommon in the game.
He's saying that if you plan on using this team competitively, you won't stand a chance against a Standard Life Orb Zapdos.
Old January 23, 2010, 05:24:49 PM
Giratina

Pretty solid team.

lets just say your going to use this team competitively, this team will get eaten up by a standard gengar.
Yes, crobat will out-speed Gengar, but i think Gengar will be able to easily take a hit of any of those moves (except from a critical) then take out crobat with thunder bolt.

I think even in game, this team will be weak when it comes to Gengar.
Old January 24, 2010, 05:35:52 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Pretty solid team.

lets just say your going to use this team competitively, this team will get eaten up by a standard gengar.
Yes, crobat will out-speed Gengar, but i think Gengar will be able to easily take a hit of any of those moves (except from a critical) then take out crobat with thunder bolt.

I think even in game, this team will be weak when it comes to Gengar.
I mentioned in he first sentence that this is an in-game team, thus I will not use it competitively. Other than that, Scizor can actually knock out Gengar with Bullet Punch, not mentioning Pursuit. I am quite sure that Gengar won't be able to harm me much.
Old January 24, 2010, 05:48:42 AM
Giratina

Quote:
I mentioned in he first sentence that this is an in-game team, thus I will not use it competitively. Other than that, Scizor can actually knock out Gengar with Bullet Punch, not mentioning Pursuit. I am quite sure that Gengar won't be able to harm me much.
Bullet punch, maybe
and pursuit would take out gengar easily

but gengar out-speeds everyone on your team, but crobat
so pursuit will work, but unless your going to fight gengars 10 levels below you, your going to be out-speeded
Old January 24, 2010, 05:55:29 AM
Rayquaza

Don't worry, my team's level is going to be quite good. It is a traded team so they will gain more exp. points.
Old January 24, 2010, 06:06:27 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Don't worry, my team's level is going to be quite good. It is a traded team so they will gain more exp. points.
I could only imagine your team not listening to you...
Old January 24, 2010, 08:24:19 AM
Keldeo

Ain't that kinda boring to start the game off with already high level pokemon? .-. Would be much funner to play it from start to finish without just breezing through it with a team you already made.
Old January 25, 2010, 04:51:43 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Ain't that kinda boring to start the game off with already high level pokemon? .-. Would be much funner to play it from start to finish without just breezing through it with a team you already made.
I will send my team with low level so that I can enjoy.