Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 27, 2011, 12:44:26 PM
Rayquaza

Default New Types Yes or No?

There's always been a lot of talk over whether or not new types should be introduced to pokemon games in the future.

Personally I think that a change like that would be too major for a franchise that has had little problems with there mechanics for the last 10 years.
Old November 27, 2011, 12:48:53 PM
Landorus

I would go either way. For one, it could be a nice change of pace, but it could also mess a lot of things up. I would say only if game freak truly runs out of ideas should they start adding new types.
Old November 27, 2011, 12:51:09 PM
Landorus

We really don't need new types of Pokemon. Why? Because new types for Pokemon would be too hard to think of, what kind of moves would the type use, look making up new Pokemon names seems hard enough! We have a good 17 types, so I really think those types are good enough for Pokemon.
Old November 27, 2011, 12:57:16 PM

I think a new type or two would be a good idea to make pokemon more diverse. When I saw Reshiram for the first time, I thought that the "Light" type was going to be introduced to go along with the Dark type. Another type that I had in mind was the "Crystal" type, a sort of cross between Ice and Rock types. However, i can see why making a new type would be a bad idea because introducing too many new types at a single time complicates things, it opens up too many possibilities in one time.
Old December 3, 2011, 02:26:44 PM
Zoroark

Yeah, Reshiram and Zekrom totally screamed a Ying-yang connection.

It's not like having new types would break the game. Look at how Johto did it with Dark and Steel. They altered a few types and made them incredibly useful (Magneton) and added some cool "prototypes" of what would later become incredibly popular Pokemon (Sneasel, Skarmory, and Tyranitar).

A light type would be a nice addition, even if just for a few Pokemon.

On a personal note, a light and dark evolution of Absol would be kickass. Switch his attack with Sp. attack and give him added speed if you evolve him with a Shiny Stone or up his speed a bit more with a Dusk stone. You'd have one Pokemon with two different forms of different types and weaknesses.

And it would be just like how Scizor and Steelix were introduced. You didn't "need" to use them (they weren't entirely great back in Gold and Silver) but they're there and they have their pros and cons like the other types.
Old December 3, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
Regigigas

I had always given thought to a "Sound" type, although that would require the re-typing of a few moves as well as altering the types of some pokemon like Wishmur and Zubat.
The problem with the introduction of a new type is that you may have to alter the types of some pokemon to accomodate it and then you have to make a bunch of new pokemon with that type. In the end, it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.
Old December 3, 2011, 03:40:08 PM
Servine

Although I'd love to see a reptile type and a mammal type (not necessarily a type, maybe a classification or something?) that would be harmful to the games and it would make the game a lot more complicated. Name 3 pokemon lines that would fit the "light type".
Old December 3, 2011, 09:52:58 PM
Rayquaza

I am against it. I prefer to continue with 17 types; easier to manage and currently balanced. I don't want to see Pokémon some sort of cyborgs in different elemental planets.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:34:16 AM
Kyurem

The reason that Dark and Steel were added as types was to balance the incredibly broken Psychic type. Psychic's only weakness was Bug, (contrary to several Pokemon guide books, which claimed Ghost was super-effective against Psychic-types) and Bug-type moves were very low in number and did hardly any damage. Psychic-type attacks hit everything for either neutral or super-effective damage, with the obvious exception of the Psychic-type itself.

Generation 2 gave the Psychic type two more weaknesses (Ghost and Dark) and added another type that was resistant to Psychic and another than was immune to it all together.

The only type I could possibly imagine that would not shift the balance of Pokemon would be a type that would be weak to Poison and Dragon-type attacks and hit Electric-types for super-effective damage. Just about all other types in the game (except for Normal) already have a high number of resistances and weaknesses, and adding even more would seriously hamper the abilities of many Pokemon.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:47:03 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
The only type I could possibly imagine that would not shift the balance of Pokemon would be a type that would be weak to Poison and Dragon-type attacks and hit Electric-types for super-effective damage. Just about all other types in the game (except for Normal) already have a high number of resistances and weaknesses, and adding even more would seriously hamper the abilities of many Pokemon.
The only thing that I can think of which can hit electric types is rubber. Is that even possible? xD
Old December 4, 2011, 12:52:19 PM
Regigigas

I would like to have something like Light- or Sound-types, something to make it an even 18 types or possibly 20.
Old December 4, 2011, 03:19:17 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor78 View Post
Sound-types
Sound-type does exist, believe it or not, though only in the form of attacks. Attacks like Uproar have a hidden 'sound-type' element, and I think there's an ability that protects against it. Seeing it in an actual Pokémon though? Hm... I can't actually vision that, since sound doesn't have a physical form... I guess that didn't stop them with Dark though
Old December 4, 2011, 03:21:58 PM
Servine

It would be nice to see more types (especially some that Bug types are super-effective against), but I prefer to keep the current 17 types because it'd be hard to see a new one added in.
Old December 6, 2011, 11:52:04 PM
Pikachu

I think that they don't have to add new types....... or to add Types like Gold, Light, Luminous, Celestial, Sound........ maybe to add pokemon which have 3 types at ones

Last edited by The_Stoole; December 6, 2011 at 11:52:53 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 03:19:05 PM
Volcarona

I gotta say, the 17 types we have now are perfect. Maybe adding one more
type like the "Sound" type and the "Light" type as suggested earlier would be good.

It's just that Gamefreak would have to be very careful not to upset the balance
of all the Pokemon types. I think that adding more types would most of the time be
rather redundant. This is just my take on this.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:36:39 PM
Keldeo

There's a good balance with the games now... if there becomes new typing involved, we might see some drastic changes with the Pokémon, personally I'm against it.
Old December 8, 2011, 09:36:53 AM
Zoroark

There would be a couple of random Pokemon with some weird typing like "rubber" or "light" that only interacts with one existing type. What does it add to the elemental rock-paper-scissors, exactly? Practically naught but clutter.
Old December 12, 2011, 01:54:31 PM
Mudkip

To be honest, I'd rather see the system as it is now, as said before this could potentially mess with the type balance, and we don't want (wait, we do want) a new Gen I Psychic type back in the table
Old December 17, 2011, 03:11:35 PM
Mudkip

Question Typeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjack91 View Post
Yeah, Reshiram and Zekrom totally screamed a Ying-yang connection.

It's not like having new types would break the game. Look at how Johto did it with Dark and Steel. They altered a few types and made them incredibly useful (Magneton) and added some cool "prototypes" of what would later become incredibly popular Pokemon (Sneasel, Skarmory, and Tyranitar).

A light type would be a nice addition, even if just for a few Pokemon.

On a personal note, a light and dark evolution of Absol would be kickass. Switch his attack with Sp. attack and give him added speed if you evolve him with a Shiny Stone or up his speed a bit more with a Dusk stone. You'd have one Pokemon with two different forms of different types and weaknesses.

And it would be just like how Scizor and Steelix were introduced. You didn't "need" to use them (they weren't entirely great back in Gold and Silver) but they're there and they have their pros and cons like the other types.
Is it just me or did they do this sort of thing with the eeveelutions? AKA ESPEON and UMBREON
Old December 20, 2011, 11:56:22 AM
Kyurem

I personally think it's all good the way it is. Adding new types may just make it more confusing and throw everything off. I also agree with GG when he said "sound types" that would put the Whismur family in that category and many more if there's new regions.
Old December 20, 2011, 01:49:33 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
(contrary to several Pokemon guide books, which claimed Ghost was super-effective against Psychic-types)
That was a programming error. Several NPC's in Red and Blue reference Psychic's weakness to Ghost, but an error made Ghosts not affect Psychics at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Sound-type does exist, believe it or not, though only in the form of attacks. Attacks like Uproar have a hidden 'sound-type' element, and I think there's an ability that protects against it. Seeing it in an actual Pokémon though? Hm... I can't actually vision that, since sound doesn't have a physical form... I guess that didn't stop them with Dark though
The ability is called Soundproof, released Gen. III.

Personally, I'd like to see new types, but I don't know how they'd incorporate them. Huh.
Old December 20, 2011, 05:52:26 PM
Giratina

New types would completely spear-head the entire franchise of Pokemon. The reason why Steel and Dark type were easily added in Gen 2 is because the franchise was still fairly young and not many things were made before the addition of the two types.

Adding new types now would just throw the entire franchise into a big mess of a tailspin, making certain things illogical and certain facts in the series false.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:53:32 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjack91 View Post
It's not like having new types would break the game. Look at how Johto did it with Dark and Steel.
Gen II added Steel and Dark because Gen I was broken.
Old January 7, 2012, 02:44:30 AM
Kyurem

A new elemental type? Well, it all depends on whether the current battling situation is fundamentally broken or not. The additions in Generation II were to precisely address the unbalanced gameplay that favours Psychic types too much. Right now, if GF wanted to, they could always introduce new types in the next generation and/or change typings.

Adding new types could be a complex job, especially if some of the types introduced could be used to replace (an) older type(s), not to supplement them.

Personally, I'm indifferent to it. Whatever that goes, I'll try to adapt.
Old January 7, 2012, 03:46:19 PM
Volcarona

I personally think 17 elements is enough though. Any more types require making new pokemon that fits in the type. Along with making weakness and strengths with other, it's a lot of work to remember. If there is a new type made, there should be a decent amount of pokemon created, not just 3 pokemon representing the new type.
Old January 8, 2012, 07:03:14 AM
Floatzel

17 types is plenty imho and with as volatile a metagame as we have now I don't think new ones would do us any favours

that being said I could see game freak doing it even if just to boost sales with this gimmick
Old January 12, 2012, 07:50:33 AM
Floatzel

I think all they need to do is make a Enigma (???) type pokemon. ...If they did add a new pokemon type, it'd probably be Light, or something so farfetched (No pun intended) that nobody would have expected it.

Last edited by SilverX; January 12, 2012 at 07:50:45 AM.
Old January 12, 2012, 09:30:17 AM
Zoroark

Meh we have too mant types. Like combine Ground & Rock th get Earth. Much simpler