Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 26, 2012, 12:22:13 PM
Giratina

Default August Pokemon Black/White Wi-Fi Tourney - Discussion

Even with the closing of the Victory Road Gym League, competitive battling is still part of the community here at Victory Road. And even though there is no auto-leveling in Black and White, a tournament is still possible! This is that tournament! There hasn't been a Pokemon Wi-Fi tournament in such a long time, I figured we need one to get this place into competitive battling and maybe even draw in some new members.

The all important rules of the tournament:

-This tournament will be 3v3, Level 100: Self explanatory, your 3 Pokemon vs the opponent's 3 with your levels being 100.

-Pokemon in the Uber tier are not allowed.
List of Ubers    
Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys and all forms besides Deoxys-D
Dialga
Excadrill
Garchomp
Giratina (both forms)
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Kyogre
Lugia
Manaphy
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin Sky Form
Thundurus
Zekrom

-No hacked Pokemon: This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Pokemon made in ******* or other Pokemon generators
  • Pokemon that have moves they cannot learn
  • Pokemon with stats that are impossible to obtain
  • Pokemon that are currently unobtainable (In other words, Keldeo, Melotta, and Genesect are banned)
  • Pokemon found/hatched by RNG abusing

-Sleep clause is in effect: No two Pokemon on one team can be asleep at the same time

-Self destruct clause is in effect: If you use a move that faints both your and your opponent's last Pokemon, you lose

-OHKO clause: Fissure, Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, and Guillotine are banned

-Evasion clause: Moves that raise your evasion are not allowed. This includes Acupressure

-Species clause: You cannot have two of the same Pokemon on your team. You're only allowed 3, so I'm sure you can find 3 unique Pokemon

-Hax Item clause: Brightpowder, Focus Band, King's Rock, Lax Incense, Quick Claw, Razor Fang, Razor Claw, Scope Lens, Lansat Berry, Stick and Lucky Punch are all banned for this tourney

-Drizzle + Swift Swim is not allowed. However, using Rain Dance and having a Pokemon with Swift Swim is allowed.

-Item Clause: No two of the same item on the same team

-Due to how the ability works, having a Pokemon with Sturdy and a Pokemon holding Focus Sash on the same team is not allowed.

-Pokemon with the ability Moody are not allowed for this tournament

Last edited by Quadcentruo; August 5, 2012 at 06:44:57 PM. Reason: Added discussion topic
Old February 26, 2012, 01:11:06 PM
Giratina

Count me in when it happens!
Name: PHANTOMxTRAINER
FC: 3997-6729-7383

I will be on my way to train now! YAY!!!!!!!!
Old February 26, 2012, 01:17:29 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Count me in when it happens!
Name: PHANTOMxTRAINER
FC: 3997-6729-7383

I will be on my way to train now! YAY!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
This thread is for discussion of rules of the tournament and is no way, shape, or form, the sign-up thread for the desired date of the tournament. Sign-ups will not be until at least the month before the tournament.
Not mad at you, but seriously I thought the red text was enough....
Old February 26, 2012, 03:10:02 PM
Volcarona

While I don't agree with the Item Clause...

I do believe there should be a Hax Item Clause. Those items are rather cheap and could be rather dastardly in certain situations.
Old February 26, 2012, 03:32:41 PM
Giratina

Okay Quad, sorry :<. But same with the items clause as TPM. and what are the hax items?
Old February 26, 2012, 03:35:22 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Okay Quad, sorry :<. But same with the items clause as TPM. and what are the hax items?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Rule 8: No Hax Items. Brightpowder, Focus Band, King's Rock, Lax Incense, Quick Claw, Razor Fang, Razor Claw, Scope Lens, Lansat Berry, Stick and Lucky Punch are all banned. Actually not really an official rule, this one is mostly optional.
Taken from the official competitive battling rules thread here on VR.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; February 26, 2012 at 03:47:20 PM. Reason: Not the forum rules... derp
Old February 26, 2012, 03:38:44 PM
Giratina

Omfg I can't read! Sorry and yeah I do think they should be banned.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:28:46 PM

Is discussion about Hax Item clause even necessary? Hax items are cheap, nooby, and annoying, giving the user an unfair advantage. Kings Rock, Quick Claw, etc. should not be allowed.

Any person SUPPORTING the use of these items isn't a fair wifi battler in my opinion.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:24:25 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Is discussion about Hax Item clause even necessary? Hax items are cheap, nooby, and annoying, giving the user an unfair advantage. Kings Rock, Quick Claw, etc. should not be allowed.

Any person SUPPORTING the use of these items isn't a fair wifi battler in my opinion.
Well, the Hax Item clause isn't an official clause. But, unless anyone is against this clause, I'll modify the rules to incorporate the Hax Item clause.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:52:46 PM

Concerning the item clause, I think the use of Leftovers should be unlimited, as I don't see Leftovers as a cheap item to have on your pokemon.
However, one thing I've seen a lot is a restriction put on how many Focus Sashes you're allowed to put on your team. I think there should be no more than 1 Focus Sash per team.

Also wondering, will Drizzle + Swift Swim be allowed in this tournament?
Old February 27, 2012, 12:59:37 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
However, one thing I've seen a lot is a restriction put on how many Focus Sashes you're allowed to put on your team. I think there should be no more than 1 Focus Sash per team.

Also wondering, will Drizzle + Swift Swim be allowed in this tournament?
Reun brings up a good point about Focus Sash. I'll put that under the things to discuss for now.

As for Drizzle + Swift Swim, that will not be allowed, however, the use of Rain Dance + Swift Swim is allowed.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:56:22 PM
Giratina

I seriously think 6v6. It is how everyone is used to battling and could show they have true talent
Old February 27, 2012, 02:00:17 PM

Quote:
I seriously think 6v6. It is how everyone is used to battling and could show they have true talent
Okay, now consider this for a sec. 3v3 is a slight bit different than 6v6. Not only do you not have to spend as much creating for this, but it takes a little more strategy. You really can't afford to be switching or sacrificing nearly as much. True talent lies in how you adapt to the play style, not in how you do in one. I support the 3v3 fully, and I don't think it's going to change before hand.

Last edited by Ditto616; February 27, 2012 at 02:00:49 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:04:46 PM
Shaymin

TEAMS OPINION

I think that it should be 6 vs 6 because I have always battled that way and it isn't that more difficult. Also It gives a large chance to defend yourself from other attackers. An Example would be if a pesky Sigilyph was battling you and you didnt have a rock electric or ice pokemon on your team.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:31:21 PM
Giratina

Which is why a 3v3 tourney requires more strategy, like Ditto said. Also, I think a 3v3 would be doing people a favor so they don't have to as much time making a team. However, I will not make any final decisions on the team sizes until more people start discussing. I will open a poll up if necessary.

EDIT: After a bit of thought, I've decided there won't be any discussion on the team size. Because I'm making this a 3v3 tourney.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; February 27, 2012 at 03:33:48 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:48:45 PM
Giratina

Sorry for the double post, but I've added another thing to discuss. This one involves Eviolite Stones due to how cheap they can be, but they aren't completely broken. Let the discussion take place.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:51:00 PM
Giratina

NOnononoNoNonooNOoo xD Err my team is.. full of eviolite xD
Old February 27, 2012, 04:54:08 PM
Giratina

Quote:
NOnononoNoNonooNOoo xD Err my team is.. full of eviolite xD
I'm not gonna allow 3 Eviolite Stones on a team just so it will help you. If a team was full of Eviolite, it could be very cheap, depending on the Pokemon.
Old February 29, 2012, 12:18:38 PM
Kyurem

Ordinarily I oppose the Item Clause at all turns, but now that the battle style has officially been made 3 vs. 3 I find it easier to support the clause. 3 vs. 3 makes me think of the Battle Frontier, where the Item Clause is in effect, and for very good reason. 3 vs. 3 simply prevents effective team diversity, no matter how you look at it, and competition for slots becomes fierce. As such, it is easier to abuse certain strategies. For example, as Reuniclus mentioned, a team full of Focus Sashes could be tough to handle effectively, as Stealth Rock is no longer an effective move with only 3 enemies to deal with, and both Abomasnow and Tyranitar suffer extreme blows to usefulness. A similar argument could be made with the Eviolite, but I don't feel much like going into details.

As such, I believe that it would be fair to instate the Item Clause (words you will never hear me say ever again) simply because of the 3 vs. 3 style. Looking forward to this tournament!
Old March 1, 2012, 05:09:39 PM
Giratina

Well.. I suppose it is reasonable to add the Item Clause. And if you really want some practice, I advise Random Matchup as long as you dont have the legendaries.. I think I almost got an Item Clause free team
Old March 2, 2012, 10:52:30 AM
Administrator

I'd like to add that we should also ban any items that cannot be legitimately obtained in Gen V, such as the Salac Berry.
Old March 2, 2012, 11:01:09 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'd like to add that we should also ban any items that cannot be legitimately obtained in Gen V, such as the Salac Berry.
Seeing as I do not know all the items that cannot be legitimately obtained in Gen V, it would be helpful if someone were to point out all the (useful competitive battling) items that can only be obtained in Gen V illegitimately.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:10:14 PM
Haxorus

Good timing! I was actually raising a team before this thread existed! But the way I'm training is by making teams in every single region of Pokemon (Including XD and Colosseum) and later transferring them to my Pokemon White.

Also, I agree completely with the 3 VS 3 idea. As you've said before, it let's people show their true talents. Another thing, I think putting this tournament on the last Saturday of August is a great idea, since people could EV train and stuff like that. One question though: If Black and White 2 were come out between now and the tournament, would we be allowed to use it?
Old March 2, 2012, 05:24:45 PM
Giratina

I wouldn't count on it being released as I think Japan isn't even getting it until June.. I think. Also, I have a question: Are we aloud to put 3 or more pokemon in our party when the tournament comes and switch our pokemon around or something to confuse our opponent but only enter 3 pokemon?
Old March 2, 2012, 05:32:19 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Also, I have a question: Are we aloud to put 3 or more pokemon in our party when the tournament comes and switch our pokemon around or something to confuse our opponent but only enter 3 pokemon?
Well, you're only allowed to battle with 3 Pokemon. If you are found with more than 3 Pokemon on your team when you go to battle your opponent, you will be disqualified immediately, even if you win the battle. So no, you are not allowed to have more than 3 Pokemon in your party when the tournament comes around.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:32:34 PM
Giratina

Double post, but for good reason.

I'm a little late on updating this, but I have added the Item Clause to the rules. Unless someone is strongly opposed to it and has reason to back that, the Item Clause will stand.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:18:45 AM

Will there be prizes for the winner of the tournament, and for those coming in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th?
Old March 9, 2012, 09:55:36 AM
Charizard

I don't think I'm going to do good at this at all D:
Old March 9, 2012, 10:40:11 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Will there be prizes for the winner of the tournament, and for those coming in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th?
I've talked to Cat a little bit about getting some ads for this tourney on YT (still waiting on that video, by the way), so it will most likely have prizes for those who make it to the semi-finals, the person who takes runner-up, and the person who ends up winning it all.

I think I need to talk Cat more about this tourney.
Old March 11, 2012, 03:11:04 PM
Kyurem

Is RNGed pokemon allowed? As i think its a legit thing as smogon as a complete guide on this stuff. Plus sadly i cant enter as i might be gone the whole summer.

Last edited by kakashidragon; March 11, 2012 at 03:11:43 PM.
Old March 11, 2012, 03:27:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Is RNGed pokemon allowed? As i think its a legit thing as smogon as a complete guide on this stuff. Plus sadly i cant enter as i might be gone the whole summer.
I'd personally go with no on this one. It requires a form of hacking.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:01:37 PM
Giratina

If I remember correctly, BW RNG abusing requires you to know your ID and secret ID, so I will say no to that. However, D/P/Pt RNG abusing does not require you to know your ID/secret ID and only requires you to use a program to find a seed, so this is a bit of a toss up.

Eh, I think I will just say no to RNG abusing.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:13:43 PM
Kyurem

heck most of my b/w pokemon is rnged so what to do about them? I use the rng reporter from somgon and the b/w uses the same stuff as the other games. They also talk about a site to check your SID instead of using hacks to find them out.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 24, 2014 at 02:35:16 PM.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:14:49 PM
Giratina

You'll just have to find other Pokémon to use. Go out and catch some new Pokémon or you can breed the ones you think will be good.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:20:11 PM
Kyurem

dang it about 80% of my pokemon are rnged. I'll keep them for other places that allow RNGed pokemon. I guess i'll find a way to build around this.
Old March 12, 2012, 04:55:35 PM
Giratina

I just realized that I am going to be busy the last Saturday of August, so the date of the tourney will have to be changed unless someone is willing to run the tourney while I am away. I will have more details as the date grows nearer, but I know for a fact that the last Saturday will not do for me.

I hope that is alright with Cat and Ditto.

EDIT: Disregard that info, I spoke before I knew the official date of when I was going to be busy. The last Saturday is probable, but I would still like a back-up date in case something pops up unexpectedly.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; March 16, 2012 at 03:22:41 PM.
Old March 18, 2012, 04:32:40 PM
Giratina

-Relevant double post-
Added a new rule regarding Sturdy and Focus Sash on the same team.
Old March 20, 2012, 08:48:25 AM

Will there be any moves that are banned from the tourney? Like Dark Void on Smeargle?
Old March 20, 2012, 10:43:30 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Will there be any moves that are banned from the tourney? Like Dark Void on Smeargle?
Other than moves that a Pokemon cannot learn and the OHKO moves, no moves will be banned from this tournament.

By all means, if you can train a Smeragle to have Dark Void through legitimate methods, go ahead. You'll absolutely hate Pokemon afterwards, but I'm not gonna stop you from training a Smeragle.
Old March 25, 2012, 05:51:46 AM
Giratina

-Relevant double post-

Because I rushed the rules and didn't double check them, I added the Evasion Clause. Why I didn't notice it wasn't there in the first place is a bit beyond me.
Old March 25, 2012, 07:05:52 AM
Giratina

Evasion Clause- Does that include accuracy dropping moves since its basically the same thing?
Old March 25, 2012, 09:22:56 AM
Giratina

Technically no, because people can switch out to remove the accuracy drop, but seeing as there is only 3 Pokemon per team, I might consider banning accuracy dropping moves.
Old March 25, 2012, 05:38:05 PM
Giratina

O_0 Why did I ask?!
Old March 25, 2012, 05:42:48 PM
Giratina

Added a discussion topic to the intro post. This one involves accuracy lowering moves.
Old March 25, 2012, 05:45:04 PM
Giratina

Well, like you said. We can always switch out, unlike raising evasiveness when you have to phaze them or kill them.. I say that we keep them
Old March 26, 2012, 10:20:28 PM
Kyurem

Theres not that many moves that lower accuaracy and proboly not many people will use.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:14:58 AM

*bump*
Will this tournament coincide with Ditto's planned VGC tourney?
Old April 16, 2012, 10:45:33 AM
Giratina

He hasn't told me any details on the VGC tourney besides the rules. You should ask him instead.
Old May 1, 2012, 01:42:20 PM
Giratina

*cough*
This thread will be locked until the July tourney is very near (maybe within a week this will be reopened).
Old July 28, 2012, 05:56:38 AM
Giratina

This is just a bump to inform everyone that this thread has been reopened and discussion on rules can continue to take place.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them now.

Just remember the things currently up for discussion are if accuracy lowering moves should be legal due to the team size and if the date should be something other than the 25th (the last Saturday of the month).

Last edited by Quadcentruo; July 28, 2012 at 06:23:02 AM.
Old July 28, 2012, 08:12:07 AM

Accuracy lowering moves have always been legal compared to evasiveness boosting moves. This is because your opponent can swap out and have the effects reset. I don't see any reason to ban them, even with only the three Pokémon.

Last edited by Ditto616; July 28, 2012 at 08:14:07 AM.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:03:30 PM
Giratina

With nothing to discuss at this moment and all the rules established, signups will begin this Saturday and last until a day or two before the tournament (which is currently scheduled to be on the 25th) unless someone has something to discuss regarding the tournament.

Seeing as I will be fairly busy the week before and the week of the tournament, I'm letting Reun help out by creating the signup thread and the check-in thread (if necessary).

Last edited by Quadcentruo; August 2, 2012 at 05:04:11 PM.