Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 17, 2012, 12:43:27 AM
Administrator

Default Best Buy following in Circuit City's footsteps?

Quote:
The struggling electronics chain said last month that it would close some of its so-called big box stores, cut 400 corporate jobs and trim $800 million in costs. Best Buy plans to open 100 smaller, more profitable Best Buy Mobile stores.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_1...t/?tag=nl.e713

It seems like Best Buy plans to downsize its operations and close their large stores down and move into smaller storefronts. Given Best Buy has been having financial problems for the last couple years, it makes you wonder if Best Buy will be following in Circuit City's footsteps soon.

For those who don't remember what happened, Circuit City shut down all of their stores in the United States and moved online to do business.
Old April 17, 2012, 01:45:04 AM
Rayquaza

I kind of hope they end up worse just so the Best Buy in my area will have a huge sale.

This isn't to big of a deal though because Best Buy is basically doing is they're going to make a whole bunch of smaller stores and become more like Radio Shack while also focusing more on there own website.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:14:50 AM
Rayquaza

Online shopping has become cheaper for businesses over the years. I would not be surprised if a financially broken business would move to online shopping.
Old April 17, 2012, 01:21:46 PM
Giratina

Best Buy is going down. You can buy anything that they sell online for a cheaper price without even leaving your house.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:18:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
You can buy anything that they sell online for a cheaper price without even leaving your house.
Pretty much this.

Even with shipping costs and buying name brands, you can still find electronics products online cheaper than a physical store. Folks who use Amazon, eBay, and Newegg a lot can find specials and free shipping. Of course, you lack the ease of speedy returns, but that's a tradeoff you have to take.

Also, if anyone regularly gets (or gives) Best Buy gift cards for their birthday, Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, or any other time you might get gifts, it may be in your best interest to ask for gift cards for other stores. Amazon would be a perfect alternative, and GameStop is still the best choice for new console games.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 18, 2012 at 01:06:18 AM. Reason: Removed alliteration
Old April 17, 2012, 03:46:40 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
Best Buy is going down. You can buy anything that they sell online for a cheaper price without even leaving your house.
Fun fact: I once saw a set of speakers on Best Buy's site then saw it for a more expensive price in store. I told the cashier about this and he lowered my price.

But on-topic, SK is right. Shopping online is much cheaper than in person (although it takes more time due to shipping and all). And I don't just mean the products themselves - think about the gas money you'll be saving by shopping online compared to traveling to stores via car to get things you want.