Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 15, 2009, 07:56:28 AM
Administrator

Default Next Nintendo portable in the works?

From PokéBeach

Quote:
Graphics chip company nVidia has won the rights to implant its Tegra “System-on-Chip” processor into the next Nintendo portable system, which both BSN and PC Perspective have confirmed with internal nVidia sources. This thus confirms that a successor to the DS line is in the works, which BSN states will see a release in late 2010. Note however that both Nintendo and nVidia have not made any official announcements, so this news is not 100% confirmed yet.

The Tegra chip is used in Microsoft’s HD Zune Player and in many smart phones. Its graphics and processing power are on par with the Wii and it offers far less battery consumption than the current DS setup, meaning the next system will feature a major boost in graphics and battery life. If the next Nintendo portable system is released in 2010, we could see the 5th generation Pokemon games as early as fall 2010, though more likely in 2011 since Pokemon games always come out at least the year after their respective systems are released.
Will it be two-screened like the DS or one-screened like the good ol' GameBoy? The part about it being on par with the Wii graphic wise seems cool and extended battery life is always nice. However they are claiming it to be released next year, which doesn't make much sense to me since Nintendo just launched the DSi and the DS line as a whole still has plenty of life left in it. What do you think?
Old October 15, 2009, 10:29:47 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Next Nintendo portable in the works?

Well, it could still support the DS like the first two DSes supported Game Boy Advance.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:45:43 PM
Shaymin

I don't really care when it's released, I love my portable gaming. Any new features that can improve upon the DSi will be incredibly appreciated.

Ehh...It would make sense for it to be dualscreened, so it could be another branch off the DS line. Two screens is pretty much a bit of an unspoken standard for a new handheld from Nintendo.
Old October 16, 2009, 10:14:39 PM
Volcarona

I hope they make it sturdy, because my current DS is kind of... broken, after the 3 or four years I've played it for. And I favor the dual screen feature, Especially if they add on to it, and make the screens bigger, and closer together.
Old October 18, 2009, 10:00:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdhlite
Ehh...It would make sense for it to be dualscreened, so it could be another branch off the DS line. Two screens is pretty much a bit of an unspoken standard for a new handheld from Nintendo.
It could still be single screened. If it plays DS games, then it could be a tall screen with the whole thing touch (but only the bottom half does anything on DS games). Think of the iPhone.
Old October 18, 2009, 04:08:52 PM
Haxorus

Wow, DSi hasn't even been out in America for a year, and a new portable system is already announced... That's like Left4Dead, and there's already a sequel announced! lol
Old October 18, 2009, 05:04:39 PM
Rayquaza

I actually think they aren't announcing it until next year and we won't get a gen V pokemon until movie 14 because of that though.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:10:55 PM
Magikarp

hmm... DSi maybe... but I is nawt shure...
hmm... WEEGEE TiME!!
Old October 18, 2009, 08:08:35 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
Quote:
It could still be single screened. If it plays DS games, then it could be a tall screen with the whole thing touch (but only the bottom half does anything on DS games). Think of the iPhone.
That'd be kinda awkward to hold and play with though, especially if it has the "chocolate bar" design the PSP and original GBA had. The button scheme would be a bit weird looking too.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:49:54 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I was just stating it's possible to be single screened, not necessarily likely.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:08:48 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon
Quote:
That'd be kinda awkward to hold and play with though, especially if it has the "chocolate bar" design the PSP and original GBA had. The button scheme would be a bit weird looking too.
I suppose if it WAS single screened, then they would likely make it on a pivot, where it was a bar, like the ds is now, but with a second section with the screen on it on top. Instead of opening it, you would twist the top part, like a phone.

But even so, You must consider the touch screen on both top AND bottom.