Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 19, 2014, 08:14:42 AM
Keldeo

Re-watched the fourth Harry Potter last night. Ain't possible to see those movies too many times, I tell you.
Old July 20, 2014, 11:05:31 PM
Charizard

Re-watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes to remember the story before seeing Dawn of Apes.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:50:08 PM
Keldeo

Saw this crazy thing called "Cool Runnings" today. It was about an Olympic bobsled team. From Jamaica.

It was pretty good, though it was produced by Disney meaning that it was really predictable in how the plot flowed. For example, if you couldn't guess it already and you haven't already seen it, I'll give away the ending:

Spoiler Alert:    
Spoiler Alert:    
Spoiler Alert:    
Spoiler Alert:    
They didn't win, and people clapped anyway, including the other bobsled teams.

Not much of a spoiler, right?

But, it had its moments. Namely, a juvenile joke that actually made me laugh every twenty minute or so. I'd sure recommend it, if you have a half hour and don't want anything too serious.
Old September 11, 2014, 12:42:20 PM
Charizard

Watched Azumi last night. If you enjoy samurai/ninja films, you'll enjoy this movie.
Old September 11, 2014, 09:09:30 PM
Joltik

Char's Counterattack!

great film if you are a fan of the Gundam UC Saga.
Old September 14, 2014, 12:50:21 AM
Charizard

Watched Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows again last night. No idea why it gets the hate that it does, great movie!
Old October 4, 2014, 06:20:38 PM
Magikarp

Final Fantasy Advent Children. Heh.
Old October 4, 2014, 07:12:45 PM
Volcarona

This thread got bumped at the wrong time. Last movie I watched was Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks.
Old October 4, 2014, 11:37:56 PM
Administrator

I'd have to say Kung Fu Panda 2. It's a great example of a movie you should walk into with an open mind, except what you're given from the first one. I found it quite good, we a few unpredictable moments thrown in.

Spoiler Alert:    
However, the ending is given away literally within the first five minutes of the film, which might be mocking spoilers in general.
Old October 5, 2014, 04:47:50 PM
Keldeo

Saw the old "Bad News Bears" a few days ago. It was . . . uh . . . pretty bad. Most of the main characters didn't have any redeeming qualities, the acting was kind of bad even for 1976, and, uh, most of the main characters didn't have any redeeming qualities. It's a baseball movie, and the team somehow ended up in the playoffs, but even then when you saw them it wasn't clear how they got there. Half the players had like three minutes of screen time.

Also, most of their opponents didn't even have any redeeming qualities. You want the Bears to win because the other teams are coming around and stuffing the kids in garbage cans, but then you really can't because most of the Bears were just as bad. Good Lord, would it really have stung that badly to put in anyone who wasn't a complete jerk?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; October 5, 2014 at 07:33:42 PM.
Old November 7, 2014, 06:18:29 PM
Keldeo

Dang, you guys all stop watching movies or something? Saw War of the Worlds tonight . . .

tl;dr didn't like it    
preface: i've never read the original book but have been told the most recent movie is fairly true to it.

I've been looking for a decent action/science fiction/alien/rawr movie for a while, and considering how old the story of War of the Worlds is and how many people seemed to like it I was hoping this one was
going to be at least a little okay.

Er, too lazy to do a real write-up of it so I'll just make a list this time.

Good:
- THEY DIDN'T PUT CRAPPY ROMANCE IN IT
- Wittiest ten-year-old girl ever.
- Effects and explosions and everything were excellent. Maybe it's not The Avengers, but hey, this thing came out almost a decade ago now. Also I have low standards.
- Nice commentary on human behavior during crisis.
- Attempted humor was actually okay, most of the time. At least in the beginning, they seemed to give it up halfway through.

Neutral:
- Was about as post-9/11 as you can get without actually being a movie about 9/11. Right down to the "OMG TERRORISTS." Nice.

Bad:
- They played the angst-y teenager card . . . which has already been played to death by like every other PG-13 movie ever made . . . and they didn't do it well, for the most part it was just like "i don't like you because i'm determined to not like you . . ." . . . and it had a crappy resolution.
- Things were very plot convenient. Veeeeery plot convenient. Seriously guys, there are only so many times you can be the last man standing before you have to say "can you just die already." Also, I still don't get how Ray ended up with the only working car in the tri-state area. Last I checked, EMPs don't pick and choose what they toast.
- Ray wasn't very likable. Minimal skills, did a lot of stupid things, was kind of mean to Rob and Rachel and some of the other people . . . and somehow knew enough to survive alien invasion. Again, very plot convenient.
- I can put up with dumb tropes, I can put up with predictable timing, but the ending . . . sucked. It just ended itself. It's like Wells just sat down and said "you know, I don't feel like writing anymore, let's just have the aliens die." They died because they didn't like Earth's microorganisms. But they've been monitoring the planet for millions of years and even have vastly superior intelligence compared to us and, in fact, have been here before to plant their machines . . . and they still didn't have this problem until now. That's like a Pokémon X and Y-caliber plot hole. Meanwhile things that could have been played on, like feeding the tripods a grenade, were completely forgotten.
Old December 3, 2014, 11:11:09 PM
Joltik

Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Killer Mutant Snowman...It was awful 2/5 felt longer than an hour and a half, the death scenes are kinda funny and I liked the special effects as using puppets for the killer snowballs, but it just dragged on and some of the characters got annoying
Old December 7, 2014, 12:03:38 PM
Charizard

I had enough free time to watch Leprechaun 5: In da hood xD

Warwick Davis must have been in a bad place when that was made...

Last edited by CinnabarPyro; December 7, 2014 at 12:03:48 PM.
Old January 24, 2015, 11:38:42 PM
Charizard

Watched both Planet of the Apes movies last night. Dawn is definitely my favourite but both amazing movies.
Old February 11, 2015, 11:15:19 PM
Cyndaquil

I saw The Boxtrolls with some friends the other day.
Old April 17, 2015, 07:35:34 PM

I saw Furious 7 with a couple of friends last weekend. It was good and funny in a ridiculous sense.
Old May 27, 2015, 06:10:40 PM
Mudkip

One of the Fast and Furious movies. I'm not really sure which one it was, but I do know it was one of them.
Old September 12, 2015, 08:02:03 PM
Administrator

Inside Out. Like most Pixar movies, your expectations will be blown away. It's also quite hilarious. I highly recommend seeing it.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; September 12, 2015 at 08:06:43 PM.
Old September 14, 2015, 06:48:29 PM
Magikarp

The last film I'd watched is continuum show.
Old September 14, 2015, 09:03:03 PM
Keldeo

It would appear that I remain the only person on the planet who thought Inside Out was boring and silly.

Anyway, saw A Walk in the Woods a week ago. For those who haven't, it's about two guys who decided to walk the Appalachian Trail and all of the weird stuff that happens to them. It's also one of the few things that have succeeded at making me laugh at toilet humor.

Was based on a book, which you all should definitely go read right now because there are some things that are just described better in text.
Old September 15, 2015, 08:03:28 PM
Keldeo

I just watched the newest Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles.

It was alright but certainly could have been worse.
Old September 16, 2015, 01:34:25 AM
Charizard

Went and saw Love Live! The School Idol Movie at the Cinemas, one of the perks of being in Australia. Never seen the anime but I can never pass up an opportunity to watch anime on the big screen, it was decent... Was quite confused for awhile because as I said I hadn't actually seen the anime but was still enjoyable and can tell why it was a hit in Japan but it's something I won't be rewatching.

Last edited by Music; September 16, 2015 at 01:37:29 AM.
Old November 27, 2015, 11:23:59 PM
Keldeo

Mockingjay, Part 2, anyone? Thought it was good, especially:

Spoiler Alert:    
1. it followed the book really well, and
2. Haymitch

I should get better at describing movies.
Old January 2, 2016, 01:52:06 PM
Charizard

The last movie I watched was Waterworld. My wife and I had just watched Mad Max: Fury Road, so then she wanted to show Waterworld to me.
Old January 9, 2016, 09:55:01 PM
Keldeo

Jurassic World:

many spoilers, probably    
It was . . . interesting. Still making up my mind on it and I might edit this post later if I ever do, but:

Good
- DINOSAURS
- Very colorful
- DINOSAURS
- Specifically, they did a decent job of making the dinosaurs feel alive, instead of a bunch of scaly ostriches and giraffes in a normal zoo.
- Also a good number of them ended up doing stuff in the climax besides of just standing around getting eaten (which they did anyway), although the bit with the ichthyosaur thing at the very end was kind of over before it started. (The only ones I don't recall seeing at some point were the coelophysis, and they have the excuse of probably getting flattened through the pavement before the camera even figured out where they were.)
- It acknowledged the existence of classic Jurassic Park. Liberally. Probably the one thing I was genuinely surprised at in the entire movie. Apparently people don't like it when you break the fourth wall like that but I don't see a problem with a movie taking place in the same world as . . . its own source material.
- The owner guy managed to pull off being a good guy and a bad guy at the same time, kind of, which is something I haven't seen in a long time

Meh
- Didn't deviate from original Jurassic Park as much as I hoped it would.
- I wish I could develop something as complex as indominacthulhu and have it work on the first try!
- Did not get to see the pteranodons before they turned themselves into ballistic missiles >:(
- Did not get to see more of the coelophysis before they presumably got turned into pancakes >:(
- Did not get to . . . never mind

Bad
- I tend to complain about this a lot in movies and admittedly it's kind of hard to do without making it look like you're ripping off some other movie, but come on, the owner guy was one of the only people who wasn't a carbon copy of one of the "surly teenager," "nerdy little brother," "FOR SCIENCE," "manly man guy," whatever, archetypes. Really, the velociraptors had more personality than the protagonists, it only took like five or ten minutes after introducing a character to know how the entire movie was going to go. Until:
- A lot of people got complete personality overhauls like halfway through the movie. A person doesn't go from being the bane of their little brother's existence to being their hero in the span of about a half hour, I could go on for pretty much everyone who had a name but I want to finish writing this by the time the sun comes up.
- Likewise, there were a lot of scenes that were either completely pointless or completely redundant. Cutting away from the action to quietly watch a brachiosaurus die for a minute and then cutting back to the action is like interrupting a Mozart concert to play a few verses of rock 'n' roll. Yes, we already understand Indiana Jones Guy's characterization by this point, thanks, film. Also I'm pretty sure the entire studio completely forgot about the divorce thing about ten minutes after shooting it.
- For a movie that mocked product placement in multiple places . . . THERE WAS AN AWFUL LOT OF PRODUCT PLACEMENT. AAH.
- There weren't a whole lot of not mind-bogglingly stupid decisions made by anyone. "Gate that says Do Not Enter on it? Let's enter!" I guess that was kind of the point of the entire thing, but it's way easier to watch a film if there's a character you can root for who isn't an ancestor of the chicken or a reskinned Indiana Jones.
- Indominacthulhu kills almost every living thing on the island and then immediately get eaten by an otherwise peaceful ichthyosaur. How does that even work?
- "In order for the plot to be resolved the main character has to learn something," and I guess that did kind of happen (without being forced) if you count indominacthulhu learning how to be self-aware and then magically forgetting she's supposed to be cthulhu.

seriously?
- DEAR HOLLYWOOD, IF WATCHING YOUR ROMANCE SCENES FEEL LIKE A HAVING STEEL PYLON BEING DRIVEN THROUGH YOUR EYEBALLS IT MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA TO RELEGATE THEM TO THE DELETED SCENES, OR TO JUST BURN THE SCRIPT, SERIOUSLY, YOU'RE MAKING ME START TO ACTUALLY LIKE "CINDERELLA."

tl;dr I liked it, but it definitely fell short in a few places.
Old January 29, 2016, 12:56:38 AM
Kyurem

Movie day with father, anyone?

Freedom Writers is this time.
Old January 31, 2016, 11:53:26 AM
Zoroark

Ashens and the Quest for the Game Child. Some parts about The Power of Friendship are cheesy as hell but I watched it because I regularly watch Ashens' videos. Overall, I'm not disappointed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2Cnx_eL6s
Old March 13, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
Administrator

Zootopia. I was expecting Disney's newest entry to pander to the furry crowd, but it's much more than that and has great writing. I highly recommend going to see it, especially when you go with buddies who have a good sense of humor.
Old April 5, 2016, 05:52:38 PM
Administrator

Watership Down, on CED. It's quite a strange movie about the plight of rabbits when humans are developing the land around them. There's a lot of violence and blood for an animated movie, too.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 5, 2016 at 06:06:15 PM.
Old April 5, 2016, 07:19:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Zootopia. I was expecting Disney's newest entry to pander to the furry crowd, but it's much more than that and has great writing. I highly recommend going to see it, especially when you go with buddies who have a good sense of humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Watership Down, on CED. It's quite a strange movie about the plight of rabbits when humans are developing the land around them. There's a lot of violence and blood for an animated movie, too.
Sounds like the first talking animal movie made you want to see the other. Also if you want to see an X-rated version of Zootopia check out Fritz the Cat.
Old April 5, 2016, 08:02:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
Sounds like the first talking animal movie made you want to see the other. Also if you want to see an X-rated version of Zootopia check out Fritz the Cat.
Well, my grandparents invited me to see Zootopia again today, and when I went to clean some stuff out of the shed I found the CEDs in there and remembered I hadn't seen that movie yet. I also just watched The Last Unicorn, also on CED, which is even weirder than Watership Down.

I've heard of Fritz the Cat being an intentional play on the trope that all animation is for kids (oh look, there it is; heh, both of the two movies I just watched are on there too).
Old April 8, 2016, 04:52:27 PM
Charizard

The wife and I watched Deadpool when it came out. REALLY surprised with the amount of young kids at the theatre.
Old April 20, 2016, 09:53:25 PM
Cyndaquil

Swedish movie in December 2014. Maybe not. Well whatever. IDC.
Old May 30, 2016, 04:59:05 PM
Administrator

The Angry Birds Movie. While it sounds tacky, it was actually a lot better than it appeared, and the jokes at least incited laughter.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 30, 2016 at 04:59:18 PM.
Old June 22, 2016, 10:34:34 AM

I saw quite a few movies in the past two weeks.

Neighbors 2- Some parts could've been done better, but I still enjoyed it. Others think the first one was better.

Warcraft- I don't play World of Warcraft, so I didn't understand half of the backstory. If you want to fully enjoy this movie, read up on the lore. (I ended up giving away the free trial code thingy for the game, so don't ask me for it)

The Conjuring 2- Possibly my favorite out of all of the movies I've seen here. Never a dull moment when anything can pop out and scare you half to death.

Last edited by Reuniclus; June 22, 2016 at 10:35:18 AM.
Old June 24, 2016, 05:45:43 PM
Keldeo

Just saw Warcraft, could have been much better and it felt like a putting the toes in the water type thing. They go all out and would have been a great movie. Yes I got the codes when I went.
Old July 4, 2016, 06:51:48 PM
Keldeo

Spent the weekend with some cousins, and we did a bunch of movie things.

- 2001: Space Odyssey: apparently it's quite famous, though I hadn't even heard of it until Saturday. To those who still haven't seen it, it's one of those plots that you can't tell if is really brilliant because it's open-ended or if the writers were the laziest people in the world. To those who have seen it . . . why is there a giant PS2 buried on the moon? :^)

- My Fair Lady: Actually I was asleep through most of this one, but the beginning and ending were pretty good. Also I'm sure it would cause all kinds of upset-ness on the Internet if it came out today :^)

- Full Metal Jacket: I only actually saw a few minutes one while Grandma wasn't in the room, but . . . well, let's say I'm now sure the flame wars in YouTube comment sections could be trying a little harder :^)

It's been an interesting weekend.
Old July 4, 2016, 07:03:26 PM
Administrator

Finding Dory, a few days ago. Amazing film, but you must have seen Finding Nemo to understand it.
Old July 5, 2016, 01:24:51 PM
Joltik

I just recently saw Finding Dory. I really liked this movie, but I still prefer the original Finding Nemo.
Old July 11, 2016, 07:07:03 PM
Administrator

The Secret Life of Pets. It was actually quite good, and Duke makes for a lot of comic relief. The trailers didn't do it justice.
Old July 17, 2016, 07:41:56 AM
Haxorus

Broke down and bought the DVD version of Zootopia, because what the heck. It's actually very good, and I consider it to be the best DVD I've bought in years, although there were a few intense chase scenes that I probably wouldn't want to show my nieces (because they might have nightmares about said scenes). If they were over 5 years old, maybe I'd think differently.
Old July 19, 2016, 11:28:07 AM
Regigigas

The last couple I can remember are Summer Wars and the two last movies for Eden of the East. Let's just say summer wars was an experience for me and it changed me
Old October 1, 2016, 06:38:35 PM
Keldeo

Timeline, based on the Crichton book of the same name. It was good. Also the combat reminded me of Mount and Blade, for some reason.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:09:36 PM
Keldeo

Aah, this thread went quiet again. Total Recall (2012 version). Wasn't bad. Lots of explosions and shooty noises and bad words.

There have probably been a few more films I've seen since October but I don't remember.
Old November 14, 2017, 11:05:49 PM

Pokémon I Choose You

Saw this one in theaters with , , and . Had mixed feelings about this one, but I generally liked it. Kinda wish we got free stuff for coming to see it in theaters. :/ Also Marshadow is freaking cute.

Also saw The Shining on Halloween for the first time with and all the red rum.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:33:32 PM
Haxorus

The first on the Tron series, from 1982. Because dang it, I love those 1980s film effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
...Also saw The Shining on Halloween for the first time with and all the red rum.
I don't know why, but Danny - the son of Jack and Wendy - always creeped me out. XD