Search this Thread
Old April 26, 2011, 02:10:16 PM
Regigigas

Default Sony confirms PSN's users' personal data compromised

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...een-stolen.ars

Let's jump to the point:

Quote:
What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name
Your address (city, state, and zip)
Country
E-mail address
Birthday
PSN password and login name
So PSN users, keep extreme caution over your account. I'd be pretty upset too if I used PSN, having that downtime and all plus confirmation of sensitive information is at risk; for arceus's sake they may have your PSN account itself!
Old April 26, 2011, 02:21:34 PM
Kyurem

...That's... I'm sorry, that's inexcusable. In my three years of coding I can point out so many reasons NONE of that should have happened. At the very, very least passwords should NEVER be unencrypted (...they were).

Interestingly, one of the comments on the story (half the reason I read Ars myself):
"Is anybody buying a PS4? Or is next gen just MS vs. Nintendo?

Between MS's hardware reliability and Nintendo's 3rd party support, now would be the perfect time for Sega to make a comeback."
Old April 26, 2011, 03:40:10 PM
Shaymin

Well.

I have two PSN accounts. One with false information and one with my real info. But I never used either (never logged onto PSN ever since I got my PS3) so I mean. Mmph.

PSN was great because it was a free service. That's why everyone loved it so much. And now look. :I
Old April 26, 2011, 05:22:01 PM
Kyurem

Does anyone know how long it will be off for. I got my first headset just before it went down. So I didn't get to use it. Is it the hacking group Anonymous doing this?
Old April 26, 2011, 05:26:52 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirtle102 View Post
Does anyone know how long it will be off for. I got my first headset just before it went down. So I didn't get to use it. Is it the hacking group Anonymous doing this?
There is no evidence that Anonymous is at all the cause (in fact, its fairly certain that they had nothing to do with it). However, Sony has been frustratingly quiet on the matter, so... :/

(Funny thing is, no matter who did it, he or she surely had as his or her motivator the suit.)
Old April 26, 2011, 07:04:09 PM
Volcarona

Sony, I am disappoint. If this is not fixed soon, I may just bug my parents to upgrade my XBOX Live to Gold so I can play online. That will never happen, though.
Old April 26, 2011, 07:54:36 PM
Volcarona

The thing about encrption is it still somewhat useless in this case, if you have the original code and controle of the system you can modefy it enofe to spit out info. Even with out sourse code.

Also the fact they had access to all psn account data point to them attacking a application server rather than a database server; hence my other point.

Thats just my opnion.
Old April 27, 2011, 09:03:16 AM
Giratina

This is shocking. My brother has a PS3 and plays with it occasionally, but he didn't include too much personal information in his PSN account. I just hope the hackers don't target his account, otherwise... okay I'm not sure what can happen, but I know it will not be good. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
...That's... I'm sorry, that's inexcusable. In my three years of coding I can point out so many reasons NONE of that should have happened. At the very, very least passwords should NEVER be unencrypted (...they were).
Wait, why would they do that?!

Last edited by Shadow; April 27, 2011 at 09:04:13 AM.
Old April 27, 2011, 09:19:02 AM
Giratina

My dad sent me an e-mail today asking me if I had a PSN account. He obviously heard the news and, knowing that I'm a gamer and I've used his credit card for Steam, he wanted to be sure. I haven't had a PS3 for well over a year now, and I cancelled my PSN when I got rid of my PS3. :3

Aahhh, the joys of being an anti-Sony...
Old April 27, 2011, 05:24:02 PM
Shaymin

Well, to be frank, if you never got any PSN DLC then the worst they could do with your account is rack up trophies and spam the hell out of your friends list.
Old April 28, 2011, 02:13:40 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Well, to be frank, if you never got any PSN DLC then the worst they could do with your account is rack up trophies and spam the hell out of your friends list.
That's not entirely true, however. You can get DLC by only redeeming PSN cards (my family doesn't use credit cards) and not giving PSN any credit card information. But still, you have a point. However, while the system is down, I don't think the hackers could do much of anything.
Old April 28, 2011, 04:45:37 PM
Kyurem

I'm not really too scared. It's just a nerd brigade hacking everyone. I use PSN cards and don't include a lot of info. NERDS DON'T SCARE ME!
Old May 11, 2011, 01:26:53 PM
Kyurem

At the very least, this is very, very bad press for Sony. I own several Sony products, and don't get me wrong, they make good products. It's just that idiots don't like them after this huge mess (and trust me, most of the gaming/internet world are idiots).

However, even if I did have a PS3, it wouldn't affect me since I don't really get the big craze with online play and DLC and all that crap, and I probably wouldn't have a PSN account, or even have it connected to the internet.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:42:54 PM
Mudkip

xbox live went down a few times. people will just have to deal. theyre fixing at fast as they can, the guys that hacked the systems were pro.
go outside, or read a book for christ's sake
Old May 14, 2011, 03:35:51 AM
Rayquaza

'Anonymous' denies hacking into Sony in the first place. But hacking into the computers of a company like Sony, the culprit is surely as digitally powerful as 'Anonymous'. My second guess would be one of the competitors of Sony, mainly Nintendo or Microsoft, hiring a hacking group like 'Anonymous' to do this job. That's only a guess.