Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 21, 2012, 04:21:06 AM

Default Reminiscing about VR: the thread

Wowie.

I've seen so much change in the past two and a half years on this site since I joined.

Hey you long time regulars, you know what I mean, right? Assuming you're still around.

Remember when we had a bunchalot of global mods, almost no blue moderators (useless having a separate group for that, haha), and assist mods with gold names?
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6272/modsc.jpg
Right before the staff reform of August 15, 2010.

Surely you remember the Victory Road Chat Program, with its numerous betas, graceful minimalism, and inevitable imperfections. By the way, the VRCP logs are back up if you have yet to see.

Remember VictoryBattles? Not just that, but when we actually talked about it when it was new, with the race to see who could adopt the most Pokemon or who found legendaries. And then there was the even older adoptables, which were much more like the VRAC we have now.

Remember when the arcade was first added, we were all crazy about it? Alakazamaster and I were Python rivals. Vel raged over Skeeball, and Quad was accused of hacking. I mean, look at all the freaking trophies he had and still has. Jesus. Just stay away from Othello, that trophy's mine

Remember Bela? Oh god, who doesn't.

All those tourneys we had in 2010... they were fun, weren't they? Not that I participated in any of them, but whatever. They did a good job of sustaining activity, filling up the chat like you wouldn't believe.

Remember FreezeWarp? I see all you new folks throwing around the blaming Freeze joke (it's beyond overused at this point) while not actually understanding who he was. Despite using the server as his personal litterbox, he was a cool guy.
stupid unintentional puns.

Remember when Cat's favorite Pokemon was *GASP* not Zoroark? but rather Floatzel? or Buizel?

Remember those random big smileys we had? Oh wait, we still have some of them. No more :charizard: though.

Remember when the General Conversation About Anything thread got replied in every 15 minutes? Speaking of which, I know we all miss Lopun, who managed to get 500 posts in three days. SK's posting rate was also astronomical when he first joined.

Remember when Infractions didn't do anything to you? You lucky dogs.

Oh yeah, the experience and achievements mods. They didn't last long, but, they were quite the novelty.

And for those of you who were around back when the place was called Floatzel.net Forums, thinking of the plain white and wooden phpBB layouts stirs up some nostalgia, doesn't it? I know there were layouts from before that, but I didn't join until August 2009.

and /b/uizel, I miss you dearly. You will be remembered as the best and worst thing ever to happen to VR.

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; February 21, 2012 at 04:26:54 AM.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:30:29 AM
Kyurem

If I'll be honest, the part I miss most is the super-lenient staff. Man, we could have so much fun in VRC back then, because none of the staff really cared.

Also, yes, I loved VRC. I was famously the one person who didn't use the client, which turned out to be fun as I could laugh in everyone's faces when...

Victini Bot A wild Connec10 appeared!
Victini Bot A wild SK appeared!
Connec10 what
SK [DR]
Victini Bot A wild PokeRemixStudio appeared!

Also /b/uizel. Fun for a while. Eventually it just became a pain in the ass, but still somehow fun. When it was restarted as [Board Name TBD] was fun for a while as well, as everyone seemed to be suddenly funny again.

Also, the days when JAD and piexing were active in the community. They caused so much trouble together. The early days of the ranbros were nice as well.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:25:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
If I'll be honest, the part I miss most is the super-lenient staff. Man, we could have so much fun in VRC back then, because none of the staff really cared.

Also, yes, I loved VRC. I was famously the one person who didn't use the client, which turned out to be fun as I could laugh in everyone's faces when...

Victini Bot A wild SK appeared!
Connec10 what
SK [DR]

Also /b/uizel. Fun for a while. Eventually it just became a pain in the ass, but still somehow fun. When it was restarted as [Board Name TBD] was fun for a while as well, as everyone seemed to be suddenly funny again.

Also, the days when JAD and piexing were active in the community. They caused so much trouble together. The early days of the ranbros were nice as well.
Oh yeah, can't forget about Victini Bot. What a chatterbox.
I think the title of "famous person that didn't use the program" goes to Bela though because he complained about not having access to the other rooms using the site chat alone. Yet, he refused to use the program.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:32:27 AM
Rayquaza

Frankly, I remember all of what you mentioned. I miss the old VR, we were so active back then.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:20:03 PM
Giratina

Ah, I remember those days of VR. So many mods, so little users. I swear, SK getting 3,000 posts within 9 months... that was ridiculous. All those members that are now gone, I kinda miss them, but no use changing any of that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeRemixStudio View Post
and Quad was accused of hacking. I mean, look at all the freaking trophies he had and still has
I remember this. I think it has more to do with people being completely jealous of my arcade skills. I was champ of the arcade then, and I will continue to be the champ of the arcade today.

Oh, and I will get that Othello trophy sooner or later.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; February 24, 2012 at 08:01:31 AM.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:07:57 AM
Giratina

Well, I was never really hear for any of it but wow I've heard sooo many stories of the "good ol' times of VR".. And I may seem stalkerish but I looked through the first few pages of the Post your picture thread, and people seemed like they were having such a good time! I knew some of the people you talked about that are gone now or are still here.. VR has changed even since I was here even though I wasn't here for too long.. I was here for some of the good and bad times of /b/uizel.. Wasn't it used to be named Glitch City? I barely remember. In the time I joined in June, I remember I always spent as much time as I could on this site. I originally joined because I was introduced to spriting by youtube and wanted to learn from ShinyCrobat42 (Shiny) and/or Chibi on this site. Aha I was such a newb back then and kinda still am now... But then, I enjoyed the forums soo much more than because of the Spriting School of VR. I absolutely LOVED the community. The moment I stepped into VRIM, I was greeted by everyone and they said welcome to the forums and stuff. So many people from when I first joined aren't as active anymore or just got.. banned :\ But everything was just so great, I love it here. Now sorry for this wall of text, but I just wanted to reminise a bit too..

Well, CHEERS TO THAT, VR!
Old February 24, 2012, 08:24:05 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Well, I was never really hear for any of it but wow I've heard sooo many stories of the "good ol' times of VR".. And I may seem stalkerish but I looked through the first few pages of the Post your picture thread, and people seemed like they were having such a good time! I knew some of the people you talked about that are gone now or are still here.. VR has changed even since I was here even though I wasn't here for too long.. I was here for some of the good and bad times of /b/uizel.. Wasn't it used to be named Glitch City? I barely remember. In the time I joined in June, I remember I always spent as much time as I could on this site. I originally joined because I was introduced to spriting by youtube and wanted to learn from ShinyCrobat42 (Shiny) and/or Chibi on this site. Aha I was such a newb back then and kinda still am now... But then, I enjoyed the forums soo much more than because of the Spriting School of VR. I absolutely LOVED the community. The moment I stepped into VRIM, I was greeted by everyone and they said welcome to the forums and stuff. So many people from when I first joined aren't as active anymore or just got.. banned :\ But everything was just so great, I love it here. Now sorry for this wall of text, but I just wanted to reminise a bit too..

Well, CHEERS TO THAT, VR!
/b/uizel had this name before Glitch City, then it got changed to it.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:25:09 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
/b/uizel had this name before Glitch City, then it got changed to it.
Ahhhh thats what it was, I didn't even remember. And PRS, I'm learning about Othello just to beat that score jk
Old February 26, 2012, 02:13:41 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
I remember this. I think it has more to do with people being completely jealous of my arcade skills. I was champ of the arcade then, and I will continue to be the champ of the arcade today.
I honestly don't care enough to challenge for something I spent weeks building towards only to have it wrecked within maybe a day or so

would comment further but I lost both my train of thought and the will to remember anything
okay bye

Last edited by Kero; February 26, 2012 at 02:14:23 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:54:36 PM

I just remembered we used to have the Serious board, which was total lameness. We were so serious we were afraid of changing the topic in the General serious conversation thread, and we were condemned to talking about foreign languages the whole time.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:50:55 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I just remembered we used to have the Serious board, which was total lameness. We were so serious we were afraid of changing the topic in the General serious conversation thread, and we were condemned to talking about foreign languages the whole time.
I never liked that thread. No one was allowed to even use a single emoticon.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:07:20 AM

Default and now for a tribute of sorts

FUBAB

IT'S BEEN A YEAR, WHY HAVE YOU DEPARTED

YOU TOO JAD

OH THERE YOU ARE

Greenliquid! Why D: You left the same time Fubab did, and I've been deprived of you guys' greenness, those tasty leaves and fluids ever since

speaking of fluids

SK. GET YOUR UTTERS BACK OVER HERE. I've got a bad calcium deficiency going on.

LITE. IT WAS QUITE PLEASANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN. MORE RETURNAGE WOULD BE WELCOME.

BELA. First thing that comes to mind after thinking of Lite is almost always Bela. I miss you too.

And you Sableyed. and maybe Jared.

And Ayunnuya! Brawl tournament champ. You never did come back like you said you would

Serenade, the most mysterious member of VR, MIA as of July 2011.

JC! wait, no, you're banned. GTFO JC

It would be great to see TheRagingTyrannitar and The Tropius of Tropiuses again as well. RIP.

And pretty much anyone else on this list but hasn't been in the past few months or so.
What if all you guys came back at once? My brain would explode. You guys are part of what made my early VR experience so awesome. And the strange thing is that all that separates you guys from coming back is taking a minute to sign back into a website you most likely still have access to. It sure is nice to have Quad back, at least!
Old March 1, 2012, 05:12:08 PM
Giratina

Lol "maybe Jared"

Last edited by PHANTOMxTRAINER; March 1, 2012 at 05:12:19 PM.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:22:00 AM
Zoroark

pikaluv sk and sunny had colored usernames when I joined

also jared

I would say back when I was active but there's hardly any ring of truth or consistency to that
Old March 24, 2012, 05:33:15 PM
Giratina

Welcome to VR.

I forgot all the other VRemes 'cause my brain is a troll.

This video and the other 4 I made.

Also this thread.

Last edited by SK; March 24, 2012 at 05:46:10 PM.
Old March 25, 2012, 06:33:04 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
Welcome to VR.

I forgot all the other VRemes 'cause my brain is a troll.

This video and the other 4 I made.

Also this thread.
You are back? Good, good.
Old March 26, 2012, 03:45:28 PM
Haxorus

Hmm, I remember, out of my almost-2 years here on VR, all of the amazing people that I got to chat with. There's Fubab, that Canadian Bayleef that was just a fun guy and great to chat with, and certainly one of VR's most friendliest. There's Sunny, and how he would always refuse to go to bed late at nights . There's lite, the awesome fan of Iron Man and Metroid who used to always debate with Bela, and is probably playing Kid Icarus as I'm typing this. There's Bela, who always used to call me by my first name, and was always real nice, even if he was a tad weird at times. There's Ala, who was always just an amazing battler and used to live in Maryland with me and TurtwigX. There's JAD, who used to have his own smilie and always follow Lux. Hmm, let me try that out, actually. :JAD: Probably doesn't work, but always worth a shot. I remember when I came back after leaving in summer 2011, that all of them, at that point methinks, were gone. Quite a saddening moment. But at least now they've been replaced by people like Reuniclus, TPM, and GalliumGrant. I guess that's how life is sometimes, ya know? But oh well. It's just to me, times were... different back then.
Old March 26, 2012, 06:37:19 PM
Giratina

When Velociraptor78 was Billy2257.

Last edited by SK; March 26, 2012 at 06:37:25 PM.
Old March 27, 2012, 12:21:23 PM
Giratina

Now that I think about it, I should've made my post in this thread in my font color from way back. It would've been more nostalgic (in a sense) and give the newer users an idea of what my posts used to look like back in the good ol' times.
Old March 27, 2012, 03:17:01 PM
Giratina

When Shiny was ShinyCrobat42. When Jaredvcxz was Furryvcxz or was it the other way around, but switched twice? When Rainbow Dash was Epic Pikachu. There are many others but I don't wanna get into that.
Old March 27, 2012, 05:00:15 PM

Quote:
When Rainbow Dash was Epic Pikachu.
He was actually Epic Umbreon before he was Epic Pikachu.

Old March 29, 2012, 02:33:19 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
When Shiny was ShinyCrobat42. When Jaredvcxz was Furryvcxz or was it the other way around, but switched twice? When Rainbow Dash was Epic Pikachu. There are many others but I don't wanna get into that.
At some point Jared became Furryvcxz, and then back to Jaredvcxz. Hell, I was around when he was banned.

When I think about it, I've been here for almost two years.
Old March 30, 2012, 07:41:48 PM
Giratina

Quote:
He was actually Epic Umbreon before he was Epic Pikachu.

Meh, as I said.. I'm fairly new.