Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 21, 2014, 09:32:57 AM
Keldeo

Default The demo!

Who's played it yet?

Spoiler Alert:    
I like it. It's not quite as extensive as I imagined it, I sort of pictured we'd be able to explore an entire route or so, but I like it. It looks and sounds fantastic, some of the writing I saw was pretty funny, you get some back-and-forth between Aqua and Magma, AND IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS FANTASTIC. The battles were really easy and you were clearly meant to annihilate any opposition, but I think it's way too early to make a judgement on how easy or hard the entire game will be.

I think we know this from screenshots already but they gave the bottom screen a massive reorganization, and you now have some of that "useful information" being shown to you like a news broadcast or something. I caught something about a sale at a department store, I wonder what else they'll be putting down there in the full game. Return of swarms, perhaps?

At the end of my first playthrough of the demo, it mentioned being able to transfer one of the Pokémon I'd caught (Glalie) to the full game when it comes out. It also mentioned there being more to do the next time you booted up the demo. I'll do that later, but so far I really like what I see.
Old October 21, 2014, 11:42:04 AM
Administrator

I got the e-mail and will download it tonight, but I don't know if I'll play it. I'm going to try avoiding spoilers, but dang...it will be tempting. What DO you get in the demo?
Old October 21, 2014, 11:51:09 AM
Keldeo

Not a whole lot. I think the main thing they were going after was the graphics, there was a bit of talking to important NPCs but I don't know if they're relevant to the full game or not.
Old October 21, 2014, 01:30:46 PM
Rayquaza

I ended up getting impatient and now I have two codes.

I really miss the skates.
Old October 21, 2014, 02:59:44 PM
Volcarona

I has a sad. My email didn't have the code. The spot where it should have been was blank.
Old October 22, 2014, 06:01:05 AM
Administrator

Yay, finally got the code last night (right before I went to bed...) Anyhow, a run-down of what happens:

Spoiler-free: You can explore Mossdeep City (without access to any of the buildings). You (and Steven) can go to small island where you take part in a small quest. The first one gives you a free Glalie (along with Mega Evolution stone) which can be transferred to the full copy of the game via Pokemon Link. After the initial quest there will then be more small quests such as finding a certain Pokemon or battling people. Along the way you will encounter Team Aqua/Magma grunts and hear about whatever shenanigans they are up to. You will also get to use the evolved form of all three starters along with seeing their Mega Evolutions in action. There isn't anything to spoil the game (besides if you played the original games you already know the story), this just gives a taste of how the re-imaged Hoenn feels and gives a chance to see some new Mega Evolutions in action.

Full in-depth walkthrough in here    

The demo starts up with you (male trainer) and Steven flying on a Latios to Mossdeep City. You arrive in the city and head to the SPAAAAAAAAACE Center where you run into some team grunts (in my case Team Aqua). Steven lets you pick a Pokemon (the second evolution of all the starters, all at level 35 so very close to leveling up to final evolution) and you battle a grunt (their Pokemon ~level 30). Steven then moves in front of the Pokemon Center saying to talk to him to go on an adventure. You are free to walk around Mossdeep at this point and talk to a few NPCs, but all the buildings are locked or blocked in some way.

When you are ready, talk to Steven and you will both fly to a small island via Latios. There is a small patch of grass here to battle wild Pokemon (for this island Linoone and Slakoth appear). Here you encounter more team grunts (in my case Magma) outside a cave entrance and have another battle. Afterwords, head inside the cave and you will find May against the first grunts from earlier. You take down both grunts and at this point your Pokemon should have evolved to its final form. After this you will see a funny exchange between Team Aqua's Admin Matt and Team Magma's Admin Tabitha, followed by them deciding to battle you. Steven will join you for a double battle, after upgrading one of the moves on your Pokemon and giving you the appropriate Mega Stone. Here you enter the battle where you can see your new Mega Evolution in action, along with Steven's shiny Metagross and its Mega Evolution. After defeating the admins and walking around the small island you'll encounter a small patch of grass where you can find a Glalie. You are given a few Pokeballs and are able to catch it, allowing it to be transferred to the full version of the game via Pokemon Link when it's released. The demo ends with you and Steven flying back to Mossdeep, where Steven says to come back for more adventures. The game gives you notice about transferring Glalie and resets to the title screen.

Next time you start the game you will be back in front the Pokemon Center with Steven, who has now given you all three starter Pokemon (in evolved form with respective Mega Stones) along with your Glalie. He says to talk to him for more adventures. I have to go to work soon so can't try them for a while, but according to Serebii you are able to do more tasks such as finding a certain Pokemon, helping a lost child, or battling everyone on the island.

Overall, a good little preview of what's to come. A bit of a graphical upgrade from X/Y, great sounding music and funny banter with Team Aqua/Magma members. I also noticed the "grid" that you walked in in previous games is gone and you also have the ability to sneak while walking (supposedly to sneak up on wild Pokemon). I look forward to the full version (which I still can't believe is being released the same day as Smash Bros Wii...).

Last edited by Yoshi648; October 22, 2014 at 07:47:52 AM.
Old October 22, 2014, 01:46:22 PM
Administrator

Alrighty, the thing didn't take too long to download, but I got plenty of errors about the service being overloaded while doing so. I can't imagine why. Anyway, here are my first impressions of the demo:
  • Hm, there's no way to set your gender. While this doesn't really apply to me, I'm sure some girls would like to actually play as a girl.
  • There better be a way to disable the BuzzNav in the full version, or at least make it only appear when critical information is broadcast. While it does give a few good tips for making the most of the demo, most of the information is as useful as watching television, and it's very distracting when you just want to take in the beauty of the world and its music. If it's perpetual in the full game, I'll probably get "banner blindness" towards it.
  • The grid is still there. Move with the D-pad to see it. It's just that the skates are gone, and you can run with B like usual (and sneak by moving it slowly).
  • Hey, everyone is smart enough to lock their doors for once.
  • As expected, the music is amazing. Be sure to use a pair of headphones or a stereo system, especially if you are using a 3DS XL or 2DS, or if you're in a noisy area.
  • I was able to evolve Grovyle into Sceptile quite easily. I'm positive the choice of levels was intentional to make it Digivolve Mega Evolve.
  • The shock on the girl's face when you arrive is priceless.
  • The 25th-nastiest Team Aqua Grunt only uses a level 30 Carvanha? That bodes well for the other 24.
  • Hey! I want the shiny Metagross! Oh wait, there's an event coming up.
  • How the heck am I supposed to weaken the Glalie when it kills Sceptile in one hit? I may have selected a poor starter. Well, I caught it without even attacking. Huh. (Mega Glalie looks like a good Halloween decoration.)
  • There is Absol-utely no way to save until completing each mission of the demo, so give yourself an hour or two of time.
  • The fifth and tenth missions have you against a more difficult trainer.
  • Wait, didn't Steven have a Latias before? Where did the Latios come from?
  • The shaking spots in the grass are definitely back, but you have to sneak into them now.

Rewards    

Mission 1: Glalie with Glalitite
Mission 3: 10 Poké Balls
Mission 5: 10 Heal Balls
Mission 9: Heart Scales? (They don't show up on the list, though, so maybe they're part of 10.)
Mission 10: 5 Heart Scales

There is nothing else after this. It seems to repeat the regular missions after the tenth time.
Old October 23, 2014, 09:07:06 AM
Kyurem

My newsletter didn't have the code, so I'm still waiting for some kind soul to...well, you know! I sometimes feel like I'm missing out...
Old October 23, 2014, 01:33:14 PM
Administrator

Unlike the Smash Bros. demo, each person only gets one.
Old October 23, 2014, 11:36:53 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Unlike the Smash Bros. demo, each person only gets one.
Maybe I'll just skip it, then... It's kinda annoying, though.
Old October 24, 2014, 06:56:54 AM
Administrator

For those of you who got the e-mail but the code is having issues appearing, Nintendo is aware of the problem. They suggest clicking the "Having trouble viewing this email? View this email online" button at the top-right of the e-mail and that should fix the issue. If you are still having issues, they suggest opening a support ticket and someone will assist you.

Source
Old November 9, 2014, 09:29:52 AM
Kyurem

Anyone ever find the secret missions for the demo? I havnt find the 2 that there is.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:16:24 AM
Administrator

Secret missions? The two against the elite trainer (the second of which is actually tricky)?
Old November 9, 2014, 02:16:46 PM
Kyurem

Serebii confirmed that theres 2 secret hidden missions u can unlock. Ones to after Team Aqua/Megma (which then Steven's house gets unlocked too), the second is finding some guy that gives u a nugget to bring over to the full game.
Old November 9, 2014, 08:48:14 PM
Kyurem

*Im bumping this quick*

Ok i have 1 USA Oras demo code if anyone needs one (I got an extra one from buying the Pokemon Puzzle Challange game on the E-shop), i'll happily PM the code to ya.