Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 17, 2012, 04:49:00 AM
Kyurem

Default Next laptop decision

Okay, so, from now if I don't spend any money I can afford a decent Inspiron 14R (rather than my piece of crap Inspiron 14R) in about a year. However, my dad will probably be getting rid of his Precision in a couple years anyway. So I need a decision made; do I go with something outdated and free, or pay for something nice? For reference, some specs:

Inspiron 14RPrecision M2400
CPUIntel Core i3 @ 2.2GHzIntel Core2 Duo @ 2.8GHz
GraphicsATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470NVIDIA QuadroFX 370M
Memory4GB4GB
Screen14" 1366x76814" 1440x900 w/ AntiGlare
OSWin7 Home Premium x64Win7 Professional x86 (upgraded from Vista)
Unimportant stuffShiny, with a great trackpadMatte finish, awesome lit keyboard

Hopefully I've covered everything there. I'm just wondering if the $500 is worth it or if I should just get the nice Presicion and not bother saving up money.

Last edited by NismoZ; April 17, 2012 at 08:31:09 AM.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:57:37 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Okay, so, from now if I don't spend any money I can afford a decent Inspiron 14R (rather than my piece of crap Inspiron 14R) in about a year. However, my dad will probably be getting rid of his Precision in a couple years anyway. So I need a decision made; do I go with something outdated and free, or pay for something nice? For reference, some specs:

Inspiron 14RPrecision M2400
CPUIntel Core i3 @ 2.2GHzIntel Core2 Duo @ 2.8GHz
GraphicsATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470NVIDIA QuadroFX 370M
Memory4GB4GB
Screen14" 1366x76814" 1440x900 w/ AntiGlare
Unimportant stuffShiny, with a great trackpadMatte finish, awesome lit keyboard

Hopefully I've covered everything there. I'm just wondering if the $500 is worth it or if I should just get the nice Presicion and not bother saving up money.
DON'T GET THE PRECISION IF YOU ARE INTO PLAYING PC GAMES

The Quadro FX is designed for workstation use. For gaming performance, a Mobility Radeon HD 5470 has over double the performance.

The Core i3 is more efficient than the ancient Core 2 Duo.

16:10 = falling out in style

If you're not into games, though, the Precision is fine! The extra resolution helps with normal browsing, too.

Last edited by Twiggy; April 17, 2012 at 06:58:53 AM.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:47:45 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
DON'T GET THE PRECISION IF YOU ARE INTO PLAYING PC GAMES

The Quadro FX is designed for workstation use. For gaming performance, a Mobility Radeon HD 5470 has over double the performance.

The Core i3 is more efficient than the ancient Core 2 Duo.

16:10 = falling out in style

If you're not into games, though, the Precision is fine! The extra resolution helps with normal browsing, too.
The most graphic-intensive game I own had top-of-the-line graphics in 2004 and I can run it almost decently on my Intel integrated card. I know I can live with a Core2 Duo because I had an older one (2006 specifically) that I used for a few years, albeit in a Mac.

Also, although this'll probably be irrelevant by the time I get it, I've included the OSes.
Old April 18, 2012, 12:58:02 AM
Administrator

I'm personally not a fan of Core2 Duo CPUs. They seem a bit slow compared to both their predecessors and successors. (For me, I've oddly had better results on a single-core Pentium M @ 1.87 GHz than on a dual-core Core2 Duo @ 1.67 GHz.) If you want performance, of course, I would suggest the Inspiron. I'd also suggest trying out a store demo if you can. Laptop touchpads are hit-or-miss, and a lot of them aren't all that comfortable to use depending on the person. The same holds for the keyboard. Another thing a new computer will come with is a new battery instead of one that may not hold the greatest charge. Of course, you can always buy a new battery for the Precision.

I'd actually like to bring up a little psychological bit too. If you buy something yourself, you treat it better than if you received it as a gift. It'd probably last you a lot longer if you bought your own laptop.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:25:01 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'd actually like to bring up a little psychological bit too. If you buy something yourself, you treat it better than if you received it as a gift. It'd probably last you a lot longer if you bought your own laptop.
Hehe I think I treat my current laptop way better than my older laptop probably because it's a bit of... well, something pretty sentimental. Besides, as a new laptop, it probably will run better out of the box.

On the other hand the illuminated keyboard will help a bit at low light situations.

Last edited by Twiggy; April 18, 2012 at 07:47:07 AM.