Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White 2

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you WANT Pokémon BW2 to use?
I want 3D models 18 52.94%
I want 2D sprites 16 47.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old February 25, 2012, 06:20:39 PM
Administrator

Default 3D Models or 2D Sprites?

What are you thinking/hoping for Pokémon Black/White 2 to use in the battling?

I'm personally hoping for 3D models, but I have a feeling they may still use 2D sprites. Then again, they do have all the models necessary.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:24:06 PM

If they do make the game compatible with the 3DS, I would think seeing animated 3D models would be better. You would be able to switch back to 2D sprites even if you didn't like the 3D effect.
I wouldn't mind seeing a 3D Reuniclus while I battle, so I'm for the 3D models for the pokemon.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:25:12 PM
Giratina

I hope they use the 3D ones because they look cool
Old February 25, 2012, 06:29:24 PM
Kyurem

It's for the DS, huh?

If the new games are not enhanced by the 3DS in any way, I think it might stick with 2D until the DS is dead. Do remember that the DS has comparatively horrid 3D performance compared to its successor.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:30:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
It's for the DS, huh?

If the new games are not enhanced by the 3DS in any way, I think it might stick with 2D until the DS is dead. Do remember that the DS has comparatively horrid 3D performance compared to its successor.
Yeah, this is the sad reason I think it might stick with 2D models. Maybe it will be a good reason to get a 3DS: 3D models only if used in a 3DS.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:37:13 PM
Regigigas

I'm of the opinion that they intend to use the 2D sprites for the duration of Generation V. What I would like to see is if they end up having a Generation VI, they'll go all out with the 3D models since the platform is pretty much guaranteed to be the 3DS at that time.
Old February 26, 2012, 03:29:23 AM
Rayquaza

I prefer 2D. 3D would make the animations too slow in a regular DS.
Old February 26, 2012, 03:30:46 AM
Landorus

It has always been 2D, so I prefer 2D.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:00:38 AM
Floatzel

Well, seeing as how Gamefreak loves making the pokemon games compatible with all DS systems, I think we'll be seeing more 3D cutscenes and 3D stuff lying around, but we won't be seeing 3D pokemon.
You also have to consider the work that goes into a 3D model; Building it, Texturing (Which can be a pain in the a**) rigging, animating, and all that lovely stuff. Plus, GF said they prefer working with 2D sprites, so I think we'll have 2D sprites in the main games for quite a whiles.

Last edited by SilverX; February 26, 2012 at 04:00:56 AM.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:17:24 AM

It better be 5D holograms or else I'll be horrified and disappointed.

I honestly don't care.
Old February 26, 2012, 05:29:45 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX View Post
Well, seeing as how Gamefreak loves making the pokemon games compatible with all DS systems, I think we'll be seeing more 3D cutscenes and 3D stuff lying around, but we won't be seeing 3D pokemon.
You also have to consider the work that goes into a 3D model; Building it, Texturing (Which can be a pain in the a**) rigging, animating, and all that lovely stuff. Plus, GF said they prefer working with 2D sprites, so I think we'll have 2D sprites in the main games for quite a whiles.
I agree with the first part:

The overworld is already in 3D.
The battle backgrounds are already in sorta-3D-in-the-sense-that-it's-actually-a-pasted-on-background-texture-stretched-all-over-the-scene. (Better than the purely bitmap background in Generation IV, and certainly waaaaay better than tiled backgrounds in Generation III!)
They pretty much have most of the cutscenes to use at the very least 3D backgrounds.
The logical next step, if they are on capable hardware, is to eliminate most sprites. The big problem is that there's simply so much work. Models and textures may be able to be recycled from past 3D games and Pokédex 3D, but sometimes it's for stylistic reasons - and sometimes the time it takes to make it look OK-ish.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:42:25 AM
Kyurem

Even if they make the 3D Sprite Version, I am using 2D because I hate the 3D on the 3DS.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:26:30 AM
Giratina

It'll most likely by 2D with 3D depth in the background. Either way, it doesn't matter to me too much, but I slightly prefer 2D sprites.
Old February 26, 2012, 03:10:30 PM
Magikarp

oo i want to see 3 d models..
Old February 26, 2012, 10:23:16 PM
Floatzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I agree with the first part:

The overworld is already in 3D.
The battle backgrounds are already in sorta-3D-in-the-sense-that-it's-actually-a-pasted-on-background-texture-stretched-all-over-the-scene. (Better than the purely bitmap background in Generation IV, and certainly waaaaay better than tiled backgrounds in Generation III!)
They pretty much have most of the cutscenes to use at the very least 3D backgrounds.
The logical next step, if they are on capable hardware, is to eliminate most sprites. The big problem is that there's simply so much work. Models and textures may be able to be recycled from past 3D games and Pokédex 3D, but sometimes it's for stylistic reasons - and sometimes the time it takes to make it look OK-ish.
I think it should stick like that in battle, the way they have it already in Generation V. Battle sprites are 2D yet the battle screen is somewhat 3D... Unless of course 3D models aren't a hassle for Gamefreak to work out on a hand-held system (like the new 3DS) all the different 500, maybe 600+ Pokémon they have. I can't remember the exact total, but I agree with Twiggy and SilverX here.

Last edited by Wulf Cines; February 26, 2012 at 10:25:23 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:04:49 PM
Haxorus

I prefer 2D, but that is only because the main games of Pokemon are in 2D, though I greatly enjoyed the 3D elements in XD.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:25:06 AM
Volcarona

Eh, 3D would feel departed and just... feel weird on an incomplete generation, within the main series. The graphics would just differ. Let's stick with those sprites that have so much care and attention to.
Old March 5, 2012, 02:17:05 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firo View Post
Eh, 3D would feel departed and just... feel weird on an incomplete generation, within the main series. The graphics would just differ. Let's stick with those sprites that have so much care and attention to.
I agree. You have to be able to give the other sprites a try at least. Also, there would be NO WAY that they could get all 651 sprites and make them into PokeDex 3D sprites. Plus, it's a DS system, so there really isn't much new graphics that should expected of anyway.
Old March 26, 2012, 02:38:53 AM
Zoroark

I would really prefer 3D models if possible. It's an upgrade that's already happened in the overworld and is pending for a long time in battles. But I'm not sure if they can really pull it off. BW left only about 30MB free space on the 256MB chip and I'm not sure if, considering the new games will have updated graphics, it would be possible to stuff all those models into such a space. But hope dies last.
Old April 25, 2012, 03:03:59 PM
Magikarp

3D would be good