Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 12, 2011, 05:41:14 AM
Haxorus

Default I have just lost all faith in Ash and Pikachu

Why can't the Pokemon who helped bring Ash to the *insert region here* League defeat a simple Snivy?

(It's just a cartoon, it's not real. They needed to put something in the first episode.)

Sorry, ranterthecellist here.
Old February 12, 2011, 07:48:19 AM
Linoone

Not enough rant.

Ash's Pikachu goes back to level 5 every time he enters a new region. That's not right... and why doesn't he use his overpowered Pokemon instead of whatever he's carrying now?
Old February 12, 2011, 08:10:09 AM
Landorus

I hate how he ditched his Butterfree, his Pidgeot, his Charizard, his Snorlax, his Tauroses, his Lapras, et cetera
Old February 12, 2011, 08:11:15 AM
Volcarona

@ Heart's Soul: Possibly the same deal as Hoenn and Sinoh where he decided to leave all of his Pokemon, excluding Pikachu, with Prof. Oak.

Last edited by isbragg; February 12, 2011 at 08:12:50 AM. Reason: Ninja'd then smiley where I didn't want it.
Old February 12, 2011, 08:26:58 AM
Regigigas

Only one of his attacks hit, and technically Pikachu didn't faint anyway, but you'd still think one quick attack from a level 100 Pikachu would KO a level 5 Snivy.
Old February 12, 2011, 08:59:08 AM
Rayquaza

That and he lost most of his power was lost after being stuck down by Zekrom.
Really you need to pay attention to the actual show you're watching before you state this stuff.

After all look at his record

He defeats a Dragonite then looses to a Bellsprout.
He then beats a Regice then looses to an Elekid.

It wouldn't be fair for Ash to start out a region with a level 100 pikachu anyways.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:48:43 AM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
It wouldn't be fair for Ash to start out a region with a level 100 pikachu anyways.
But it would make sense
Old February 12, 2011, 01:09:32 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
Only one of his attacks hit, and technically Pikachu didn't faint anyway, but you'd still think one quick attack from a level 100 Pikachu would KO a level 5 Snivy.
I don't believe levels exist in the anime. It doesn't make sense that a Pokemon can just go down from level [insert large number here] to level 5, but it DOES make sense that a Pokemon can get weaker if it doesn't train too often, just like how bodybuilders eventually stop working out and suddenly gain like two hundred pounds of fat. I'm not saying Pikachu doesn't train enough, but its fighting abilities can fluctuate.

Also, Pikachu was sick, was he not?

I agree that it's stupid that he keeps ditching all his strong Pokemon. I understand why he got rid of Butterfree, but if the whole point of leaving Charizard was for it to train, and it's proven itself as a pretty danged competent Pokemon in every single Pokemon League tournament since it started its training, I think it's trained enough and Ash should start using it on a regular basis.

Last edited by Leaftail; February 12, 2011 at 03:47:04 PM.
Old February 12, 2011, 03:58:20 PM
Servine

Pikachu's power level resets every season because watching him kill everything in one hit just wouldn't be that interesting.
"I AM THE FINAL AND STRONGEST GYM LEADER, THIS WILL BE YOUR TOUGHEST BATTLE YE-*everything ohko'd* ....... aw." END OF EPISODE. Doesn't sound that great, now does it?

If you're looking for an in-universe explanation, maybe Pikachu eats a lot of EV-lowering berries before they go to the new region. But that's just my in-universe guess.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:49:19 AM
Volcarona

The concept of levels exist in the anime (as proven in the first season), but it doesn't govern how strong Pokemon are.

Long theory.    
My theory is that, because Pokemon owned by trainers most likely have been taught moves that are not of its natural elemental type (e.g - A Pikachu learning Iron Tail, a Honchkrow learning Steel Wing), it requires rigorous and continuous training to keep their skill in shape, as using that move isnt second nature to them (e.g. - STAB Moves, A Pikachu using Thunderbolt, Honchkrow using Dark Pulse).

Also, Pokemon travelling with trainers are out of their natural habitat, therefore they dont get as much skill practice as they normally would in their homes. This would mean that they lose skill exceptionally fast. This is again, compensated by constant training.

Deriving from that theory, the reason why Pikachu always seems to "reset" at the start of every saga, would proably be the fact that Ash and Pikachu most likely take an approx. 1 week ~ a month break from coming back from another region. They probably skip out on training to indulge in well deserved slacking time. Therefore, Pikachu loses its skill over this resting period.

I also have dozens of theories on various aspects of the Pokemon world, but I wont get into that :/ Unless some sort of PokePhilosophy thread gets started (hint hint enthusiasts).

Last edited by AnathemA; February 15, 2011 at 07:03:15 AM.
Old February 15, 2011, 05:30:39 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA View Post
The concept of levels exist in the anime (as proven in the first season), but it doesn't govern how strong Pokemon are.

Long theory.    
My theory is that, because Pokemon owned by trainers most likely have been taught moves that are not of its natural elemental type (e.g - A Pikachu learning Iron Tail, a Honchkrow learning Steel Wing), it requires rigorous and continuous training to keep their skill in shape, as using that move isnt second nature to them (e.g. - STAB Moves, A Pikachu using Thunderbolt, Honchkrow using Dark Pulse).

Also, Pokemon travelling with trainers are out of their natural habitat, therefore they dont get as much skill practice as they normally would in their homes. This would mean that they lose skill exceptionally fast. This is again, compensated by constant training.

Deriving from that theory, the reason why Pikachu always seems to "reset" at the start of every saga, would proably be the fact that Ash and Pikachu most likely take an approx. 1 week ~ a month break from coming back from another region. They probably skip out on training to indulge in well deserved slacking time. Therefore, Pikachu loses its skill over this resting period.

I also have dozens of theories on various aspects of the Pokemon world, but I wont get into that :/ Unless some sort of PokePhilosophy thread gets started (hint hint enthusiasts).
I agree with this. Also, there's Zekrom, and let's not forget they originally came here to have a little vaca, so they probably didn't plan on battling.

Last edited by The Tropius of Tropiuses; February 15, 2011 at 05:30:59 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 05:17:15 AM
Floatzel

That's all well and good, but Pikachu is dangerously strong to begin with. I sincerely doubt that a month of slacking would be enough justification for him to lose to a lv. 5 Pokemon. A Lv. 40, 30, maybe 20, but not a level 5.

The only explanation that makes any sense at all at this point is Zekrom's interference, and that doesn't even explain the other regions.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:16:47 PM
Regigigas

Starters aren't necessarily level 5 in the anime. Dawn's Piplup knew Whirlpool from the start, and it doesn't learn that until level 32. A Torchic in one episode that was supposed to be given away as a starter evolved later in the episode. Shooti's Trip's Snivy knew Leaf Tornado, which it doesn't learn until level 16.

Last edited by Leaftail; February 16, 2011 at 12:17:46 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 01:23:04 PM
Floatzel

That's true, but the Snivy in question was living in the wild at the time. The law of survival would logically have been governing it's actions (unless it was stupid) and evolution is one of the surest ways to preserve one's survival in that state. A trainer's Pokemon will be more willing to forgo evolution because it is still given a relatively strong guarentee of safety anyway, but in my opinion a wild Pokemon would seek to evolve as soon as possible. Holding that this is the case, the Snivy in question shouldn't have been stronger than about Lv. 16.
Old February 16, 2011, 01:47:39 PM
Landorus

Remember that one time where Ash's Charizard totally pwn3d that Chikorita? Good times...
Old May 14, 2011, 04:17:59 AM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
That and he lost most of his power was lost after being stuck down by Zekrom.
Really you need to pay attention to the actual show you're watching before you state this stuff.

After all look at his record

He defeats a Dragonite then looses to a Bellsprout.
He then beats a Regice then looses to an Elekid.

Ash gets a new pikachu every season
Old May 14, 2011, 04:17:46 PM
Charizard

i lost faith in them in Hoenn
Old May 21, 2011, 05:15:17 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
Not to mention that the levels of the Pokémon in the animé aren't ridiculously high very often. The event-distributed "Ash's Pikachu" was Level 50, and was supposed to represent his Pikachu as of the end of the Diamond and Pearl series. The Pokémon belonging to the Champions are likely around the 80s. But it would seem that leveling up takes a fairly long time at the later levels, since I would imagine nobody's Pokémon in the anime are there yet (especially Pikachu, since, despite it being very strong, there are lots of stronger Pokémon out there). This is somewhat supported by Red, the strongest in-game trainer, only being in the 80s in terms of his team's levels, not 100, which is what allows others to defeat him. The only Pokémon from the anime I would be willing to admit is probably Level 100 is Arceus. Despite the fact that the Event Regigigas was also Level 100, the one in the 11th movie may have been less than this (though it could be blamed on it's ability, Slow Start, making it weaker since it had just woken up). Arceus' distribution counterpart was Level 100, and it was able to destroy a giant meteor that would have posed a major threat to Earth, even though it's individual base stats are surpassed by other Pokémon.
Old June 2, 2011, 10:36:54 AM
Magikarp

Well, one reason he always leaves his strong pokemon(charazard, infernape, sceptile, et cetra) is because your normally only allowed to take one pokemon from a certain region to another. A pokemon not native to the region would feel uncomfortable. Plus, there would be theives all over Ash for his 'rare' pokemon that aren't seen in Unova unless from an outsider. Professor Oak also wanted Ash to keep low, thus only allowing pikachu to enter the Unova region. Same with keeping low with Team Rocket(Jesse, James, and Meowth).

Sorry, if I repeated some.
Old June 2, 2011, 11:29:40 PM
Kyurem

I like the new Teamrocket there more sneaky now and more into there jobs than they were when the show first started. They did good upto the point of the SS anne. And they jus sucked at being bad guys. I do recall brock saying in a few episodes back in the old school ones where he said something about the pokemon getting exp. points. They dont say that anymore in the show. i remeber team rocket was reading a book about how to evolve there koffing and ekans using exp. points. and stuff.

Last edited by kakashidragon; June 2, 2011 at 11:31:03 PM.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:56:59 PM
Landorus

I like how it's more funnier.
Old June 18, 2011, 06:37:31 AM
Giratina

I was watching the last episode, and looking back at all the other episodes, whenever the opponent uses dig, there all like "Where is he, he could be anywhere O.o" And they dont expect the opponent to attack from below...
Old June 18, 2011, 06:43:14 AM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
I was watching the last episode, and looking back at all the other episodes, whenever the opponent uses dig, there all like "Where is he, he could be anywhere O.o" And they dont expect the opponent to attack from below...
But Ash, he's, like an observer. He's totally doin' it.
Old June 20, 2011, 03:13:44 PM
Zoroark

I remember when Ash fought the one dude with Darkrai and Latios in the Sinnoh League Finals (that guy was totally cheating too) and Pikachu held his own pretty well to the end (taking a Luster Purge to the face as he Volt Tackled into it rather epically).

I'm pretty sure abilities in the anime are more based on the trainer's style and situation. The fact that Pikachu has lost several times to gym leaders it should in-game easily cakewalk is testament to this fact.
Old June 22, 2011, 12:37:32 PM
Cyndaquil

Of course, its Zekrom's fault that Ash lost to Trip, but thats why there's such thing as a BACKUP Pokemon, Him going into the Unova region with just one Pokemon was a big mistake... He should of brought Buizel with him, despite type disadvantage, Buizel would taken down Snivy easily
Old June 23, 2011, 10:59:55 AM
Landorus

Buizel master, I agree with you all of teh way. Buizels are my 2nd favorite water pokemon
Old June 24, 2011, 02:38:44 PM
Kyurem

Plus that ash lets his pokemon leave him multiable times. (BUTTERFREE for example)
Old June 24, 2011, 06:48:01 PM
Giratina

Also, Charizard and Gliscor just left...
Old June 25, 2011, 06:57:33 PM
Landorus

charizard came back, i think
Old June 26, 2011, 03:13:52 AM
Rayquaza

This thread is going nowhere I'm closing it.

Last edited by Magmaster12; June 26, 2011 at 03:14:51 AM.