Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 26, 2014, 11:36:12 PM
Administrator

Default Nintendo terminating previous-generation Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

After May 20, 2014, Nintendo will be shutting off its servers for Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, the backbone for online gaming on the Nintendo DS and Wii.

The following first party games will not be playable online after May 20. (This list only applies for the United States.)
  • Nintendo DS
    • 100 Classic Books
    • Animal Crossing: Wild World
    • Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    • Clubhouse Games
    • Custom Robo Arena
    • Diddy Kong Racing DS
    • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
    • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    • Fossil Fighters: Champions
    • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    • Mario Kart DS
    • Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
    • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
    • Metroid Prime Hunters
    • Personal Trainer: Walking
    • Picross 3D
    • Picross DS
    • Planet Puzzle League
    • Pokémon Black Version
    • Pokémon Black Version 2
    • Pokémon Diamond Version
    • Pokémon HeartGold Version
    • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
    • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
    • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
    • Pokémon Pearl Version
    • Pokémon Platinum Version
    • Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
    • Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
    • Pokémon SoulSilver Version
    • Pokémon White Version
    • Pokémon White Version 2
    • Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    • Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
    • Professor Layton and the Last Specter
    • Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
    • Star Fox Command
    • Style Savvy
    • Tenchu: Dark Secret
    • Tetris DS
    • WarioWare DIY
  • Nintendo DSiWare
    • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
    • Metal Torrent
    • Number Battle
  • Wii
    • Animal Crossing: City Folk
    • Battalion Wars 2
    • Endless Ocean
    • Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
    • Excitebots: Trick Racing
    • Fortune Street
    • Mario Kart Wii
    • Mario Sports Mix
    • Mario Strikers Charged
    • Pokémon Battle Revolution
    • Samurai Warriors 3
    • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
    • Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    • Wii Music
  • WiiWare
    • Dr. Mario Online RX
    • Excitebike: World Rally
    • LONPOS
    • Maboshi's Arcade
    • My Pokémon Ranch
    • ThruSpace
    • WarioWare DIY
    • Wii Speak
    • Wii Speak Channel

Third party online functionality will also cease to operate after May 20. Local play will still be fully functional for all games. In addition, browsers, the Wii Shop Channel, the YouTube Channel, the Hulu Channel, and in-game DLC will remain available.

A complete list of games with online functionality that will no longer work can be found here:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gam...games-wifi.jsp

This is huge news for anyone into playing Super Smash Bros. online, as it will not be playable online in any form (including Project M). Because SSB for Wii U and 3DS will not be available by that time, there will be no online form of Super Smash Bros between May 20 and their release. This also spells disaster for those who haven't yet invested in Pokémon X/Y, as the online functions of Gens IV and V will be shut down.

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/det...Y7bvzOrgBURhzw

If anyone wants to hold any tournaments for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, or any of the other games listed prior to the shutdown, either post a response or PM me as soon as possible.

All online Pokémon Gen IV and V Battle Videos will no longer function. If you wish to save any for posterity, record your system with a camera.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; February 27, 2014 at 11:15:07 AM.
Old February 27, 2014, 12:02:56 AM
Kyurem

Now theres no point in keeping my online teams for my 4&5th gen games Plus for people that still play 5th gen online, it will hurt them real bad. This make real mad though, at least they should have kept 5th pokemon available at least till the end of year, and SSBB till the 3ds and Wii-U version come out.
Old February 27, 2014, 03:05:15 AM
Giratina

It's been a long run, 10 straight years. It's sad to think I'll never be able to enjoy the Mario Kart Wii online experience as it first was, I remember when that was the light of my life. Brawl's laggy online and empty random servers will also be missed. I hate PBR and Gen IV battling altogether, but wow so many memories attached to them. Even though the largest online game I play is Mario Kart Wii and that one will devastate me the most.

I think like a Spring tournament would be a nice send-off. And if Wi-Fi terminates May 20th I expect to see a Smash Bros. follow up not long after >:I
Old February 27, 2014, 04:47:36 AM
Kyurem

Hmm...

Makes me wonder whether I should reconsider my plan for getting a copy of Pokémon Platinum at this point of time.
Old February 27, 2014, 05:51:53 AM
Administrator

Man, 8.5 years since Nintendo launched Wi-fi enabled games. It still feels like yesterday I got my shiny new hot rod red DS and took it online to play Mario Kart with others around the world and it was magic. I still have plenty of memories playing with friends online (before we started hanging out locally on a semi-regular basis). I remember this one time Cat and I chatted over Pokemon Diamond/Pearl's chat system for like 6 hours. And of course have memories of all the tournaments I participated in here. Thanks for the fun Nintendo WFC, let's hope the Wii U and 3DS can continue your greatness.

Also I'm totally going to be hosting Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii tournaments before they go offline. Watch this space.

Last edited by Yoshi648; February 27, 2014 at 08:23:40 AM.
Old February 27, 2014, 08:12:15 AM
Keldeo

This was going to happen sooner or later. Looks like no more Mario Kart Wii WiFi when I get home from school, though

Still probably keeping my competitive Pokémon on my Black 1, though.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:09:45 AM
Administrator

I'm mostly shocked that they terminated it "so soon," before the next Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Even then, it's really soon after the latest Pokémon and Animal Crossing. Heck, Pokémon Black 2/White 2 came out only 16 months ago, and its Wi-Fi capabilities are already being shut down.

Hm, another thing I've noticed is that quite a few of those titles already don't work, mostly because the only online features they had involved WiiConnect24, which went down last year.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:42:40 AM
Kyurem

Well a certin pokemon site (Which i cant say) will hurt from this the most. But anywho im trying to see if my cousion still has his pearl version so we can try to get our last and final 4th gen battles in. Me and him kinda started the pokemon wifi thing together, and i wanted us to see it to the end.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:57:36 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Heck, Pokémon Black 2/White 2 came out only 16 months ago, and its Wi-Fi capabilities are already being shut down.
Didn't the Dream World go down when Black 2 and White 2 were only like 11 months old, in preparation for X and Y?
Old February 27, 2014, 12:17:25 PM
Kyurem

So does Wii sports use a online feature?
Old February 27, 2014, 03:02:46 PM
Rayquaza

Oh snap now I have no choice now but to buy a Wii U.

Last edited by Magmaster12; February 27, 2014 at 03:02:56 PM.
Old February 27, 2014, 03:25:43 PM
Haxorus

Sorry to say, but I never was too attached to the online experience for many of the games because I wasn't even able to play online DS games until the DSi came out because of my stupid WPA connection and I didn't play my wii too much, I still only play it for single player games 90% of the time.

I have to say, though, that this is a prime example of how bad of an idea online-exclusive games(and systems, for that matter) are. I mean, I guess I can appreciate online-exclusive games to an extent because of how they're just one game and if they are able to run long enough, then it won't change the world if their servers go out. But this is still a problem with many of the system/game developers in the modern day who are only thinking short-term and don't want to create an experience that will be able to still be lived on, even after servers go out, this is especially true for online-only systems. I think it's sad that this is beginning to be a topic that even deserves to be discussed at all. I would think it is still a pretty obvious decision to at least include some single-player/local multiplayer game mode when considering how it should be played. I'm worried people are thinking that we will at one point "have the technology" to be able to have online-only games and consoles. I understand the convenience advantage of this for consoles and games, but one day, ALL of those games associated with that system will be gone forever and there will be no way to experience them again. This might hit me a little harder, since I like to consider myself mostly a retro gamer. I think about how lucky I am that I'm able to experience games made 30+ years ago (I think this is also a good time to tell everyone I've decided that I'm going to get a SNES and start collecting games for the system, hopefully by this summer). Then I think about how kids in a few generations might not have any chance to look back at what games previous generations of consoles held, and the only retro games that might be available will probably be too old in their eyes to even enjoy(Mario turning 100 will be an odd day for many of us). Maybe I shouldn't worry so much though, this kind of change will probably be gradual, even if it does vastly change a lot of people's gaming ways.

Sorry this was probably longer than it needed to be, just a rant.

Last edited by Eagles; February 27, 2014 at 03:28:15 PM.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:20:07 PM
Administrator

It looks like Nintendo might not be the only factor involved. GameSpy was the middleware service provider for the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection:
http://docs.poweredbygamespy.com/wik..._Wii_%26_DS%3F

GLU Mobile purchased GameSpy about a year and a half ago, and shortly thereafter they shut down multiplayer servers for several other popular games:
http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/1...ithout-warning

Perhaps the contract with Nintendo expires in May?
Old February 28, 2014, 11:49:01 AM
Kyurem

Read about this in the 2nd link about those games.
But yeah Sniper Elite is a good game for those people that like sniper games.
Old February 28, 2014, 06:52:50 PM
Charizard

This is saddening...Generation seven was the generation I remember best. It was the first one where I chose which systems I wanted and they were all Nintendo systems. I'm going to miss my Mario Kart and Pokemon matches... :<
Old February 28, 2014, 07:51:06 PM
Kyurem

Lets just hope we get lucky before May 20th and see if get certin games to keep there wifi features.
Old February 28, 2014, 08:25:59 PM
Volcarona

Lol, this won't effect me as much as you guys since I own a Wii Mini, but it is kinda sad knowing that these games will no longer be online. (though, most of these games you guys r mentioning have been around since 2008, so you had time to enjoy them while u can, if you didn't, not my fault)

I know it's odd that it seems like I didn't like it, but I felt like Nintendo was just experimenting with something they weren't ready for, and something I think it's competitors end up having the upper advantage in. With many games that lagged on the Wii (SSBB, Tatsunoko vs Capcom) or had hackers/rage quiters (Mario Kart Wii) on them as prime examples.

The DS did have good online at least with Wild World, D/P/Pt/HG/SS,B&W/2, and MKDS.

Last edited by Charizard98; February 28, 2014 at 08:26:21 PM.
Old March 1, 2014, 06:55:03 AM
Giratina

I have many fond memories of beating MKW hackers with nothing but my amazing skill~ So much fun. Just because these games have been out for a long time doesn't mean I'm any less sad I won't be able to play them the same way anymore. Although I'm really more sad for Wii games as the DS had really terrible Wi-Fi capabilities and the connection usually dropped on me a lot.

Now I just wish there was some way to get rid of the DS-Internet settings on the 3DS.
Old March 1, 2014, 12:05:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Now I just wish there was some way to get rid of the DS-Internet settings on the 3DS.
They might patch it when support is dropped.
Old March 1, 2014, 06:27:51 PM
Keldeo

Question: is there now a purpose of having the WFC Friend Codes on our profiles after it gets cut?
Old March 1, 2014, 06:55:58 PM
Administrator

Nope. Guess I can delete those fields once it goes down.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:04:32 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
I have many fond memories of beating MKW hackers with nothing but my amazing skill~ So much fun.
> Balloon Race

> Invincible Infinitely Star Powered Wario, drifting in a circle, meaning he couldn't lose his balloons in any way, shape, or form

> It was hacked to be Allv1 (1 being the forever invincible Wario) so we couldn't hit the others for more balloons

Not even gonna joke on this. I've kept a pretty solid win streak myself againist them as well.

Quote:
Just because these games have been out for a long time doesn't mean I'm any less sad I won't be able to play them the same way anymore.
This can be summed about for most things we have nostalgia factors/feelings for. And for Nintendo, they're just trying to keep up with the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonnite View Post
Question: is there now a purpose of having the WFC Friend Codes on our profiles after it gets cut?
We'll probably be just having 3DS/WiiU friend codes on here, nothing much else on how I could possibly answer that. It's all Cat's/Yoshi's calls.
Old March 2, 2014, 01:40:51 PM
Kyurem

The thing that is effected by this is for those people that replay Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum and remake there underground bases, is that you will lose the chance to get the GTS globe again (Unless u hack it) for your bases.
Old March 2, 2014, 02:43:45 PM
Charizard

I have friends that will be very upset over this. Specifically friends who haven't gotten a 3DS yet, ergo are stuck on BW/BW2.