Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 7, 2013, 07:03:08 PM

Default Acquired Tastes

Foods other people would not expect you to like. Mine are black licorice jelly beans and Vegemite. What are yours?

Last edited by PokeRemixStudio; August 9, 2013 at 12:54:49 PM.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:29:56 PM
Administrator

Cauliflower, cooked broccoli, and salmon are a few of mine.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:31:01 PM
Rayquaza

Probably Tuna but I'm never going to eat it again because of the dolphins.

Last edited by Magmaster12; August 7, 2013 at 07:31:14 PM.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:56:22 PM

Onion rings/onion blooms. I kept away from fried onions my entire life until about a little over a year ago. I finally tried one, and was impressed. I still don't eat onions on burgers, though.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:09:13 PM
Kyurem

Coleslaw. Most of the time I'm not much of a vegetable person.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:19:17 PM

Fried calamari. I thought it would taste disgusting at first, but I was wrong. It tastes especially good with the right dipping sauce.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:32:51 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Onion rings/onion blooms. I kept away from fried onions my entire life until about a little over a year ago. I finally tried one, and was impressed. I still don't eat onions on burgers, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Coleslaw. Most of the time I'm not much of a vegetable person.
Well there goes my two...
Old August 7, 2013, 09:13:34 PM
Landorus

Idon'tthinkthisistherightdefinitionofaquiredtasteb utokay

The food I didn't think I would like but did (the first one that comes to mind, anyway; I've had several) is probably Spinach. I hadn't thought I would like it very much (Not being much of a "green" person) and I don't usually eat it on its own, but I love putting it on/in things. I've put it in tacos when we do that for dinner, we put it in our Vitamix smoothies all the time, I've piled it on Ham and Cheese sandwiches... I think fast food places should offer to put that on their burgers instead of lettuce; I'd do it even for an extra 50 cents.
Old August 7, 2013, 09:21:02 PM
Celebi

Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips and Pickle flavored anything
Old August 8, 2013, 02:11:33 AM
Kyurem

I don't know whether I have any acquired tastes at this point. It's kind of hard to find anything that I steadfastly refuse to eat or anything like that these days.
Old August 8, 2013, 02:37:49 AM
Zoroark

Hm. Id say Mahi Mahi.
Also a TASTE of what ROTC will be like this year (lol get it?)
Old August 8, 2013, 01:23:44 PM
Volcarona

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title    

Other than that, I used to not like onion rings and fish like salmon, until I tried them and realized I did.
Old August 9, 2013, 07:04:28 AM
Giratina

Aren't acquired tastes ones that you have to eat/drink a couple times before you like it? Cause when my cousin explained his beer experience that's what he said it was like lol..

Anyways but for your version of acquired tastes, believe it or not I didn't think I'd like sushi! Most seafoods actually, and some veggies too. Like Spiky said, Spinach is something I love, but thought I would hate.
Old August 9, 2013, 07:07:50 AM
Volcarona

I tried coffee once when I was like 8, by accident. I picked up my mom's coffee thinking it was my hot chocolate. Years later, my babysitter brought me to starbucks and I tried a mocha frappe and loved it, and gradually I began drinking "realer" coffee until by this point I even kinda like it black.
Old August 11, 2013, 01:05:31 PM
Giratina

I used to hate everything potato related (besides French Fries) until I had some really good baked potatoes from my mom.
Every vegetable also counts since I was a carnivore previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Fried calamari. I thought it would taste disgusting at first, but I was wrong. It tastes especially good with the right dipping sauce.
Not an acquired taste, but the only thing I will eat in a restaurant before the free bread.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
What about grilled onions?

As for me, I guess sardines. I think a better topic for me is what common foods I don't like: spicy and avacado. Guacamole is GROSS.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:42:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
What about grilled onions?
Haven't tried that yet...assuming you've tried it, is it as good as fried onions?

Oh, and another food I've somewhat acquired a taste for is canned vienna sausages. I used to avoid them like the plague, thinking they tasted horrible (it didn't help that growing up my dad would always feed our dog canned vienna sausage, which I guess furthered my perception that I wouldn't find them appetizing.) But lately I tried some and was surprised.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:44:17 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Haven't tried that yet...assuming you've tried it, is it as good as fried onions?
Dude, they taste like candy, lol. They gain a sweet taste after being grilled for some reason. Don't have to add butter or anything, they just do. When you get a burger, get grilled onions with it. Awesomeness. Never had fried onions even though I make them at work all the time. Too much grease, it's gross. xD

Umm... Yeah, this is kinda an off-topic post. xD
Old August 19, 2013, 07:45:29 PM
Floatzel

Spinach.

When I was perhaps seven my grandma bought canned spinach for me to try. It was revolting. I avoided the stuff in all forms since until about a year ago. I was having a salad and was wondering what the dark green leaves were. My mother told me it was spinach. Well, that changed my perspective. I liked it!
Old August 22, 2013, 07:28:25 PM
Charizard

I couldn't bring myself to actually eat raw tomatoes. Or any tomatoes of any kind, really. Never had them on anything. Almost gagged trying to eat one of them from those "Mini-Lunches" a long time back.But now, they're just kinda- alright. Not the best, but edible. Still need to become tolerant of licorice, though. My aunt gets insulted when I refuse to eat her supposed "homemade" licorice. Multiple times. :P
Old August 23, 2013, 06:33:41 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Anyways but for your version of acquired tastes, believe it or not I didn't think I'd like sushi! Most seafoods actually, and some veggies too. Like Spiky said, Spinach is something I love, but thought I would hate.
Sushi for me as well. I always try to keep a policy to try everything once [since you don't know if you'll like it or not unless you try it] and tried some at a local buffet house I frequent. I was surprised. It helped that they had unagi, which to me tasted like barbecued pork. Nowadays, whenever I go grocery shopping, I almost always also pick up a small tray of sushi. Yay for stores that sell it.

Quote:
There's something about cooking the onions that changes their flavor. They're not as strong as fresh-cut onions, as you probably found out.

Quote:
Oh, and another food I've somewhat acquired a taste for is canned vienna sausages. I used to avoid them like the plague, thinking they tasted horrible (it didn't help that growing up my dad would always feed our dog canned vienna sausage, which I guess furthered my perception that I wouldn't find them appetizing.) But lately I tried some and was surprised.
My dad used to do that too with our dog, mainly as a means to reward good behavior. I sometimes eat viennas myself, and the reason he gave her some is because of how cheap they are.
Old August 23, 2013, 09:15:49 AM
Administrator

Ohh, Vienna sausages are another thing that I go in and out of liking. Might as well mention Kraft macaroni and cheese too.
Old August 23, 2013, 12:06:28 PM
Giratina

Another thing I noticed just Wednesday, I have an acquired taste for coffee and herbal tea. I mean I won't ever drink them regularly or anything, but after working in my dad's office all summer I've grown fond of it (He has one of those instant brewer machine things.) With the right amount of sugar and creamer it's actually pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
There's something about cooking the onions that changes their flavor. They're not as strong as fresh-cut onions, as you probably found out.
Caramelizing the onions has the same effect of letting a fruit ripen. It brings out the natural sweet flavor of the onion, and that's usually preferred to eating them raw.