Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 8, 2013, 03:35:08 PM
Keldeo

Default Piston (Aka Steam Box)

Seems the running rumors that I heard a while ago a valve making its own computer/gaming system has become true.

Called the Piston, its a micro computer which allows you to bring your steam library up and onto your TV.

Size wise it seems to literally a micro computer as stated "Polygon reports the computer, which appears to be about the size of two moderate-to-beefy fists held together, is optimized for Steam's Big Picture Mode."

Xi3 Specifications
-quad-core 3.2ghz CPU
-1 TB
-Modular componemts ugrades for its CPU and Ram
7 series information
-4 3.0 USB ports
-HDMI Port
-eSata ports

Though the actually specifications haven't been released something that has been said is that the components will be easyly replaceable making upgrading or swapting out parts simple.

The company behind this micro computer is Xi3, it will be interesting to see where they will be taking this technology and mater of fact they have 6 patons just for compoments of this computer.

Sources:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...alves-console/
http://www.gamesradar.com/piston-rev...rst-steam-box/
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/xi3-pis...eo-08-01-2013/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of Piston.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	4372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston Picture 1.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	4373  

Last edited by GreenMan; January 9, 2013 at 07:26:21 PM. Reason: Updated information on the Console
Old January 8, 2013, 03:38:40 PM
Giratina

From what I heard, Gabe Newell has refused to give out any details regarding the Steam Box, along with any details regarding Half-Life 3.
Valve just keeps rolling not only the gaming market, but the electronics market as well. It's about time they started taking major steps towards showing their competitors up in the markets.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:39:58 PM
Shaymin

Well gee ain't that quaint...

I would get one out of being a Valve fanboy in a sense, but probably only to play on the couch on a larger screen. But quite honestly, all this recent news on PC gaming trying to compete with the console/mobile market is kinda making the inner PC dweller in me cringe a bit. Just because I didn't want to see every game watered down so it could play on both console and PC. And it still wouldn't matter for me, I prefer PC gaming since I don't need a new TV to see games without a slight blur on them like my current one has. I also prefer playing games on my own since my friends and brother aren't exactly... supportive of actions I take playing games. Usually complaining or groaning.

Last edited by Fubab_107; January 8, 2013 at 03:42:06 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:05:04 PM
Keldeo

Yeah I realized that when I went looking for actual spefication on the Pistion, that there wasn't a whole lot to be found, now on the other hand the company they are working with to produce it has a lot of information and the computers they are producing is a pretty neat idea, tough $999 is a bit much for me to aford for the technology. I do look forward to what Valve and Xi3 produce for the steam box, pistion.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:41:11 PM
Administrator

They definitely have to bring the price down to make it more affordable to consumers. Nearly anyone uses Steam enough to warrant a dedicated console has no purpose purchasing one to begin with. It'd be cheaper to build a gaming HTPC.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:24:44 PM
Giratina

Considering I'm no good with computers (yet) and I really want to experience Steam more, I have to say this really does hook me in. And being able to play it on the TV is just a plus with my pretty big-sized screen. I just hope it's at a reasonable price... and games are actually updated...
Old January 9, 2013, 05:28:03 PM
Keldeo

Seems that Valve has been a little more lose lipped as on Engaget they released some pictures of the prototypes, the controller pictured looks like a Logitech one that I have.

There are a total of 63 phots for you browse and to poruse.

LInk:http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/e...ox-prototypes/
Old January 9, 2013, 05:30:42 PM
Shaymin

As long as all my PC games are compatible with this, I'm all for it. Hopefully I can get a new TV before it even gets a release date.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:27:31 PM
Keldeo

Seems the specifcations have finally been released on how good the system will be out of the box.

In a comparison out of the box to the Xbox 360 its a bit better but won't be a major power untill its tweaked and upgraded.

Source:http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Val...sed-51231.html
Old January 9, 2013, 07:51:28 PM
Administrator

Only slightly better than the Xbox but five times the price? Yeah, no thanks.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:42:07 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Only slightly better than the Xbox but five times the price? Yeah, no thanks.
I think at $999... Yeah, I think I'll just get a real HTPC or desktop.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:36:01 AM
Shaymin

That... Well I hope they know it may go outdated soon then.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:38:21 AM
Haxorus

How can Valve expect anyone to spend $999 on this? Thats absolutley insane...
Old January 10, 2013, 10:00:58 AM
Shaymin

I just hope that the price was more just a placeholder for something reasonable.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:24:33 AM
Giratina

Remember that even though it's labeled as a console, it's a lot like a PC in just about every way. If you were to try and get a PC with the same specifications as the Steam Box, you'd probably have to spend around $1,500 at the least for a pre-built computer. However, you'd probably have to spend around $1,200 for a build-your-own computer for the same specifications listed, so $999 isn't too bad for what you're getting.

Also, I went digging around a bit on cnet and found a bit more detailed specifications:
-First off, the final product of the Steam Box may or may not have a different look, along with different hardware
-The CPU is based on AMD's R-Series APUs
-The GPU is AMD's Radeon HD 7660G, which has 384 shader cores
-The CPU can support 8 GB of RAM
-The system can support video output up to 4096x2160 pixels
-Only requires about 40-watts of power from a 4.25x3.66x3.66 inch system.

However, these specifications are based on the fact that the Steam Box is similar to Xi3's higher-end 7 Series systems. Source.

Something interesting to note: Gabe Newell has said the Piston is not the Steam Box

By the way, Cat, where did you get that "five times the price of the 360" thing from? I didn't see it anywhere.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; January 10, 2013 at 10:27:35 AM.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:32:02 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
By the way, Cat, where did you get that "five times the price of the 360" thing from? I didn't see it anywhere.
I've seen that placeholer price predicted at other locations. I think it was just making assumptions based one components inside of it.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:20:36 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Remember that even though it's labeled as a console, it's a lot like a PC in just about every way. If you were to try and get a PC with the same specifications as the Steam Box, you'd probably have to spend around $1,500 at the least for a pre-built computer. However, you'd probably have to spend around $1,200 for a build-your-own computer for the same specifications listed, so $999 isn't too bad for what you're getting.
There is also the question of whether you can install other operating systems on the box in the first place.

Also, are you looking at the wrong place, perhaps? AMD APUs might have many cores and a high MHz count, but their performance-for-clock-speed stinks a lot compared to even a modern Pentium, especially in single-threaded loads. And you can build one at the ballpark of $500-700, so... where are you getting your figures from for the "real computer"? Even pre-built computers for the same ballpark shouldn't cost $1500...

Remember, for embedded and mobile chipsets, model numbers stop being comparable. A GeForce GT 630M is pretty much on equal footing with a Radeon 7670M, but the NVIDIA camp does have a significant driver maturity and support advantage.

Last edited by Twiggy; January 15, 2013 at 08:37:24 AM.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:08:43 PM
Keldeo

Gabe has opened his lips and let us know that the steam box will run Linux, something I'm pretty sure that all of us had a pretty good idea of to begin with.

Problem is that a lot of the games aren't supported, as quoted from the article only 41 out of the hundreds that exist within the steam library. It's also likely that it will do digital distrabution, which is the cornerstone for steam to begin with so a safe bet.

With Nvidia comes out with its Grid proccessor it will allow you to stream games to external deviced, Project Sheild is a good hint.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/doe...m-box-6402511/
Old January 17, 2013, 07:08:19 AM
Giratina

It's also worth noting that while the Steam Box is still in development, Valve is currently working on Steam Linux (which I believe is in Beta at the moment) and is in the process of making all of their games compatible with Steam. Team Fortress 2 is already compatible with Linux, so it shouldn't be too long before the rest of Valve's games are Linux ready (due to a majority of their games running on Source and TF2 already being compatible with Linux).

So my guess is that by the time Steam Box is ready and hits shelves, the Linux library will be much larger than it is right now.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:16:53 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
So my guess is that by the time Steam Box is ready and hits shelves, the Linux library will be much larger than it is right now.
There's still the problem of other third-party publishers - and there exist developers that can't or refuse to port to anything other than Windows.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:27:00 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
There's still the problem of other third-party publishers - and there exist developers that can't or refuse to port to anything other than Windows.
If they refuse to port, then they will be losing out on a growing market.
Once Valve is complete with Steam Linux, or even gets close to finishing, that will be an alert to other developers, Indie developers especially, that Linux is another option for their game.
Plenty of Indie developers are already porting their games to Mac OS. From the looks of it, half of the games already available for Linux users on Steam are from Indie developers, so more and more developers do seem to be eager for releasing their games to Linux based OS.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:32:26 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
If they refuse to port, then they will be losing out on a growing market.
Once Valve is complete with Steam Linux, or even gets close to finishing, that will be an alert to other developers, Indie developers especially, that Linux is another option for their game.
Plenty of Indie developers are already porting their games to Mac OS. From the looks of it, half of the games already available for Linux users on Steam are from Indie developers, so more and more developers do seem to be eager for releasing their games to Linux based OS.
Hmm... This could be interesting. Just hope that said Steam Box can be used for more than just games (it probably can).

*has a nagging feeling that status quo will be like that though, with stuff staying Windows-centric, and OS X and Linux as ports from*
Old March 11, 2013, 05:17:28 PM
Administrator

Well, it's officially priced now.

$999.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/22415-...ial-steam-box/
Old March 11, 2013, 05:32:15 PM
Shaymin

I'm still convinced just buying a set of PC to TV cables is still just as good. Unless they can produce some First Party games unavailable to PC (Which probably won't happen) to compete the other three, they won't really go anywhere...

Besides, for that price. I can get a whole new computer. Much rather do that.
I'd only consider if the price did drop. Even then, I probably wouldn't touch it considering how much I play console games now.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:38:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubab_107 View Post
Besides, for that price. I can get a whole new computer. Much rather do that.
I'd only consider if the price did drop. Even then, I probably wouldn't touch it considering how much I play console games now.
Heck, for that price, I can build a decent gaming computer and buy a decent HDTV, a TV stand, a wireless or 360 controller, and a few games.

The only reason OUYA can fit in that package for $100 is because it's running off the same hardware and similar software that those sub-$100 tablets use, and it doesn't need a built-in screen. This, on the other hand, better have some killer hardware for that price. Let's see...

AMD A10 APU - $130
8 GB RAM - $60
128 GB SSD - $120
Motherboard - $70
Case + PSU - $60
Linux OS - Free
Total - $440

That system is worth no more than that. Add another $100 or so and you can get Windows 7 as well. Still, where is the other $560 going?

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 11, 2013 at 05:45:22 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:55:29 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
That system is worth no more than that. Add another $100 or so and you can get Windows 7 as well. Still, where is the other $560 going?
Profit margins.

You know, even getting a laptop is more viable, and it's portable, to boot!

Last edited by Twiggy; March 11, 2013 at 11:59:50 PM.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:30:22 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Well, it's officially priced now.

$999.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/22415-...ial-steam-box/
Quote:
Valve not involved, however
It doesn't surprise me that Valve wouldn't be involved. Selling a system that's roughly $450 for $999 doesn't seem like something Valve would do because they're smart enough to know that people would just build their own systems for cheaper.

If Valve was the one calling the shots on the Steam Box, they probably would've set the price around $500 because Valve doesn't seem like the kind of people to maximize profits on everything they can (just look at all the Steam Sales, bundles, TF2 going F2P, Dota 2 free open beta and 5 free copies to those who play Dota 2 for the first time, new releases being $15, etc.).