Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Funny/Interesting Stuff

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 24, 2010, 09:12:45 AM
Regigigas

Default Rick Roll is Dead- Original 'Rick Rolled' Video Removed by Viacom

More tomfoolery from the music company we love to hate- 'RICKROLL'D OMG OMG OVER 20 MILLION RICKROLL'D' has been removed from YouTube. With approximately 31,132,500 views, you can guarantee about half of that (since we've all seen it more than once) are pretty pissed about it. What are your thoughts on this being removed, and Rick Rolling in general?
Spoiler Alert:    
Also, you just lost the game.

Last edited by Velociraptor78; February 24, 2010 at 09:13:54 AM. Reason: Apparently 'A$$Hat' is censored.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:39:49 AM
Rayquaza

Some company's are just so money driven it makes me sick.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:42:02 AM
Regigigas

If they wanted to remove it, it seems strange that they would wait this long to do so. Are we certain that Viacom was responsible?
Old February 24, 2010, 10:45:29 AM
Giratina

Meh, there are still many other rick roll videos.
Old February 24, 2010, 12:08:45 PM
Regigigas

FWAWHAT!? It's back now. YouTube says;
Quote:
“With 20 hours of video uploaded every minute to YouTube, we count on our community members to know our Community Guidelines and to flag content they believe violates them. We review all flagged content quickly, and if we find that a video does violate the guidelines, we remove it, on average in under an hour. We also have a team that is dedicated to identifying and removing spam from YouTube. Occasionally, an account flagged by users or identified by our spam team is mistakenly taken down. When this is brought to our attention, we move quickly to take appropriate action, including restoring videos that had been mistakenly removed and channels that have been mistakenly suspended.”
Are we cure we can trust YouTube these days? Jeez, even a 30-second clip of some unimportant football game or even a video with BACKGROUND MUSIC can get pulled. Why is YouTube so f**%#d up these days?
Old February 24, 2010, 12:14:44 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Occasionally, an account flagged by users or identified by our spam team is mistakenly taken down.
More like some spam team idiot was pissed 'cause he got rickroll'd.
Old February 24, 2010, 12:20:19 PM
Regigigas

As far as I can tell, the assertion that YouTube reviews flagged material is either deceptive or an outright lie. More accurately, I think they just delete videos that receive an improbably high number of flags and then only bother to restore them if there's enough backlash. I've also seen videos removed by corporations like Warner that had no content belonging to that company whatsoever, which leads me to believe that verified corporations are basically just given admin privileges and set loose to delete any offending material.
Old February 24, 2010, 12:42:48 PM
Rayquaza

Still, Rick Roll still is up actually, but youtube needs to hire people to check for copyright infredgement rather then just delete the videos without looking at them.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:28:39 PM
Kyurem

Youtube isn't effed up, DMCA is. Realize that a company like Google has a lot of assets, and likewise a whole lot to lose. Big companies need to be careful to follow DMCA complaints, because by that law, big media can sue their butt's off if they don't. This isn't to say Google couldn't review the complaints, but that would be a costly and still somewhat error prone endeavor. In reality, copyright law simply hasn't adjusted to the internet yet, or is trying to, but in the wrong ways.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:47:49 AM
Giratina

Basically, copyright law is panically trying to end internet music and stuff instead of letting it be.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:47:11 PM
Shaymin

Viacom flagged it? Oh, no worries then. They claim copyright on things that they don't even own. A YTP regarding Meet The Scout uploaded by ben4hotrods was flagged by Viacom until the claim was disputed.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:10:04 PM
Volcarona

That's a lie! And guess what? I GOT RICKROLLD! I can't believe that that rickroll is on there. You know what I think? I think that Rick or whoever the hell he is should **** **** Censored **** **** On a chick!
Old February 26, 2010, 03:24:06 AM
Giratina

But... it's a good song...
Old February 26, 2010, 01:18:20 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
But... it's a good song...
It's a okay song I'll admit. But, I went on Youtube typed rickrolld and I have it. 30 million views holy shi****it.
Old February 26, 2010, 01:43:35 PM
Volcarona

Default Rickroll

I'm going to prove to all of you that rickroll is not dead:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Last edited by Charizard98; February 26, 2010 at 01:45:22 PM.
Old February 26, 2010, 02:19:47 PM
Regigigas

Wait, it was removed? The original video?

Last edited by DashArmy; February 26, 2010 at 02:27:01 PM. Reason: Mistake...?
Old February 26, 2010, 07:43:30 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshArmy View Post
Wait, it was removed? The original video?
Nope. It wasn't, look it up and type Rickroll on youtube.
Old February 26, 2010, 10:17:42 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard98 View Post
Nope. It wasn't, look it up and type Rickroll on youtube.
Char, there are multiple videos of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" uploaded onto YouTube, one uploaded by Rick Astley and YouTube themselves. However, the video in question was the first to be uploaded, which was apparently flagged by Viacom. The copyright claim has apparently been disputed and put to rest; the original video is now viewable. Viacom tends to flag literally everything they see. As I mentioned, they had flagged a Team Fortress 2 YTP that contained no material belonging to them. Since YouTube has their own version of this video uploaded, it would be hypocritical for Viacom to flag the original. Thus, the copyright is bull and void.
Old February 27, 2010, 01:22:11 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Char, there are multiple videos of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" uploaded onto YouTube, one uploaded by Rick Astley and YouTube themselves. However, the video in question was the first to be uploaded, which was apparently flagged by Viacom. The copyright claim has apparently been disputed and put to rest; the original video is now viewable. Viacom tends to flag literally everything they see. As I mentioned, they had flagged a Team Fortress 2 YTP that contained no material belonging to them. Since YouTube has their own version of this video uploaded, it would be hypocritical for Viacom to flag the original. Thus, the copyright is bull and void.
Yes, I saw the 3 millions views one. (Which is probably the original) And it wasn't removed and if it was that would be crap. It's a okay song ,but 3 million views.
Seriously?!
It's a popular video I understand and it's okay ,but I didn't know that many people watched it.
Old February 27, 2010, 05:14:12 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard98 View Post
Yes, I saw the 3 millions views one. (Which is probably the original) And it wasn't removed and if it was that would be crap. It's a okay song ,but 3 million views.
Seriously?!
It's a popular video I understand and it's okay ,but I didn't know that many people watched it.
Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" became an internet meme due to a ***** censor that changed "egg" to "duck". Things such as "eggroll" became "duckroll". As an extension of this, "RickRoll" came about due to a YouTube video to Rick Astley's (in)famous hit being linked to an entirely unrelated topic. Thus, there's literally over nine thousaaaand views of this thing on YouTube. The meme requires that you advertise a link to something, usually a RickRoll/related video, claim that the link leads to something else, then watch as people click the link.

There, Memes Annotated. That's the reason RickRoll-type videos have that many views, not because it's a good song (which, frankly, it kinda is)

Last edited by LiteTheIronMan; February 27, 2010 at 05:14:47 PM.
Old February 27, 2010, 05:30:27 PM
Administrator