Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction > Fan Fiction and Literature

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 28, 2014, 07:04:46 PM
Haxorus

Post Recent Reads

Thought I might make this thread for those active readers in the forum. Basically this thread discusses recent books that one may have read or is currently reading(Think the Last game completed thread mixed with the Games people are into thread, only for reading). Hopefully this thread will gain some traction and encourage more people to read more interesting books, which is never a bad thing.

As for starters, I'm currently reading(for school) Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a nonfictional novel that focuses on success and how many people who are considered successful, from The Beatles to genius Chris Langan, and sees how they actually got on such high levels of success, and whether it was purely talent or mainly set conditions that substantially guided these people along the way to their success. This is probably the most interesting read from a school book I've had in a while, so I strongly reccomend it.

I'm also looking to buy this interesting book based on the historical life of Jesus titled Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan, which has been recently popularized from that disasterous interview with FOX News, who claimed he had some kind of "bias" on the subject because he was Muslim(yet he has a PHd on religious studies :I).

EDIT 1/30: The Faults in Our Stars by John Green seems rly gud, I'll probably try to get it for Valentine's Day.

Last edited by Eagles; January 30, 2014 at 03:49:53 PM.
Old January 28, 2014, 08:01:50 PM
Giratina

Hey look, it's that "Last good-ass book you just read or whatever" thread I was craving earlier! Thanks, buddy! (Also, you're gonna have to tell me what they said about The Beatles in that book.)

Currently I'm reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Ever since someone confirmed my suspicions that this was in fact the book referenced in The Police's "Don't Stand So Close To Me" I knew I had to read it. I've also heard many stories on how this was the most disturbing book some people have read, so obviously I had to pick it up
Old January 28, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
Keldeo

What's a "book?"

My casual reading tends to be more of the National Geographic and Popular Science and the newspaper variety, but the the over the summer I sat down and powered through this series known as "Tunnels," which for those of you who don't know is about some kid who discovers subterranean race with a nefarious plot to destroy the human race.
Old January 31, 2014, 06:06:10 PM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
EDIT 1/30: The Faults in Our Stars by John Green seems rly gud, I'll probably try to get it for Valentine's Day.
Oh man, that was SUCH a good book. I'll only say this: just be sure to have a box of Kleenexes close.

I'm currently listening to the Audiobook for The House of Hades by Rick Riordan, after waiting weeks for the holds to move through. I'm really enjoying it so far, though I'm not sure how much I can say without spoiling anything. x3

I also have two books, one of them being a Manga, that I have to read for my library's Teen Book groups, BookTRON and Otaku Teens. The Manga is Rurouni Kenshin, though it actually appears to be the first three books in one, which we haven't done since we read Astro Boy. The BookTRON book is Daughter of Smoke and Blood by Laini Taylor, which I don't know very much about, but it looks interesting.
Old February 23, 2014, 02:15:40 PM
Haxorus

Finished both Outliers and The Fault in Our Stars about a few days ago. Outliers continued to be both interesting and intriguing throughout, giving some really new ideas as to how "success" occurs and how cultural legacies and often unfair opportunities to arise, and how cultures have to often change their ways and take opportunities to be successful.

The Fault in Our Stars was thankfully as good as I was expecting it to be. It definitely left a hole in my heart for several reasons but still was very strong all the way through. I'm very happy that I was able to read it and am now very hyped for the movie coming up and have watched almost all of John Green's vlogs on the set with Ansel, Nat, Shailene, etc. It definitely looks like it has potential to be a very good film. Can't wait!
Old February 23, 2014, 03:52:55 PM
Haxorus

I just finished The Hound of the Baskervilles that I had to read for English class. I really liked it, and I wish it were longer. Maybe I'll pick up some more Sherlock Holmes books in the future. We're reading a book The Pearl by John Steinback next. I hope I'll like it as much.

I've had a book in my drawer since like, July. It's called The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. I picked it up in the hopes that it would be about Nicholas Flamel and what he did and such, and not some teenage kids who traveled in time to have witty dialogue with the people of the era and have to find a way back. I'm sick of these kinds of books. The cover is really cool, though. Maybe I'll like it

Last edited by blueumbreon; February 24, 2014 at 07:17:46 AM.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:06:27 PM
Haxorus

Ughh now I have a bunch of books on my wishlist
This Star Won't Go Out and Looking for Alaska by John Green along with Escape From Camp 14, Nothing to Envy, and The Aquariums of Pyongyang, all accounts of people who used to live in North Korea.

Last edited by Eagles; February 25, 2014 at 11:07:01 PM.
Old March 2, 2014, 10:34:39 PM
Giratina

We were assigned to read this book for AP Lit, "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" for a test we'd have on it later. Now I didn't read a single page of this book since I was just gonna cheat on that test anyway, but all the questions made the author seem like a really funny guy. After, erm, "passing" that test I decided I'd actually give the book a chance, and so here I am.
Old March 17, 2014, 04:58:59 PM
Haxorus

Starting up "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", only about 40 pages in but I love it. I will probably be able to reccomend this by the time I'm done. Though the plot isn't too complex, the writing is pretty entertaining, and it's also a pretty short read.
Old April 12, 2014, 09:59:46 PM
Landorus

I finished listening to Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor for the second time recently. It took me a bit to get into it the first time, and I'm glad I went back and listened to it again as I caught a few more things in the beginning than I did the first time. It's about a girl names Karou who is trying to balance out her life as both a student at an art school in Prague, and an errand runner for a group of Chimera (who also happen to be the ones that raised her). It is a bit heavy on the flashbacks, but that's something my Dad kinda liked; it doesn't wait until the third book to go back and talk about things that happened pre-book 1, but it doesn't do it in such a way that it's confusing either, as long as you pay attention. And it doesn't feel like a set-up to a series, at least not in my opinion. I'm currently waiting to get the second book, Days of Blood and Starlight.

I've also started re-listening to the Harry Potter series, which I think pretty much speaks for itself. I finished Prisoners of Azkaban just yesterday; I forgot how much I liked Lupin.

I just started listening to Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara, which is one my Mom recommended to me because she thought its series was similar to the Belgariad series, which is one of my favorites (I've listened to it a dozen times... and that's not an exaggeration). I've only just started it, but I realized that the reader is the same person that read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. She makes the officials guy in the beginning, Marcus, sound like Brimstone.

The book I have to read for my book group next month is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which is something my Dad's been wanting me to read forever. He said, when I showed him I'd be reading it, that he was afraid that I wouldn't get anything out of it since I didn't go to public school. It sounds interesting, so we'll have to see.

Last edited by SpikyEaredPichu96; April 13, 2014 at 01:10:53 PM. Reason: Finally figured out the name
Old April 15, 2014, 02:45:03 PM
Joltik

I've recently picked Divergent because honestly, I was kinda running out of books that I borrowed from the library at the time and tbh I've got a lot of respect for a person that wrote it for Creative Writing in college. I've found it's got a feel similar to the Hunger Games, but I really like the writing that exposes a lot of Beatrice's thoughts. At least that's what I've found. I like it, but I'm not exactly obsessed with it. Unless having read about 4/5 of the book in literally the fastest in three years is a consolation, but I still like it.

Though some of the details dropped throughout the book make big spoilers really obvious like with a certain instructor.

Last edited by ~Charlotte; April 15, 2014 at 02:46:56 PM.